How long do you expect to keep your boat/how long will it last? - Page 5 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
Just a comment.
Here in the US with the environmental regulations and permit requirements it seems that not many more boat moorings/ slips/ docks can be built (could be wrong on this). So what will happen. You have all these old boats taking up all the available dock space and new yacht builders wanting to sell new boats, but no place for owners to put them. I would think the same thing would be going on in Europe. Many boats it seems could last 100 years given some decent maintenance. So what gives? Seems a major hold up in selling new boats would be where is someone going to keep it. How is the mooring availability on the mainland us (here in hawaii about the only moorings available are at state harbors and they have a 5 year waiting list) and what is availability like in Europe?

BTW boat is a 1978 S&S 34, plan to keep her as long as I can sail her then give her to my kids (if they are interested). She should last as long as fiberglass hull lasts- say maybe 100 years. She is pretty simple to maintain as she is so basic.

Regards
Yes you are right in what regards to Europe and the situation seems similar to Hawaii. Long waiting lists on many countries and very expensive marinas. France and England have big problems. The costs are so high that if you have money for them you have also money to have a fairly recent boat, so old boats has you say will start to be a problem since nobody will want them.

Typically for a 40ft boat you pay on insurance and marina about $8500 a year, not counting with maintenance that will cost about $3000 if the boat has less than 5 years and more if it is older.

Disposal of fiberglass boats is complicated, costly and raises ecological problems. I bet that soon we will have to pay for each boat a tax equivalent to the cost of its disposal.

Regards

Paulo
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-12-2011

dhays is on a distinguished road
I'll have my boat for as long as my wife and I find we are enjoying her. I have no idea how long that may be. My folks used their Catalina 36 extensively year round with my father having a fatal stroke while they were anchored out in BC at the age of 74.

Right now, a sailboat works for us. Who knows in 10-20 years? If we are still sailing in 20 years, I think it likely that we will still be sailing our C400. It is only 6 years old and was built well. How long it lasts will be entirely up to my being diligent with maintenance. We certainly won't go larger.

As others have mentioned, it certainly is possible that as we age, we may opt to move to a stinker, something comfortable with a displacement hull. For now however, we are happy with our boat (we are very fortunate) and our only complaint is not enough time to enjoy it more.
S/V Legacy, Catalina 400 MkII, Hull #328
My Blog on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-12-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Australia in recent years has most certainly caught the "it must be new" disease. Second hand car prices have most certainly plumetted, new boats depreciate faster than they once did.

I confess I am old fashioned in this respect. Sure I owned new cars but quite frankly I doubt I will ever buy another. Both our cars were a few years old when we bought them and have still given us long faithful service at a considerable price advantage to the same model bought new.

To some extent boats are a bit different cos systems on older boats are difficult to repair or to have repaired but even so I am content to go with a ten year old model from a builder of good repute though I can understand why the racers among us like to have the latest go fast bits and pieces.

I'd also be very interested to see to what extent what is rapidly becoming a European economic meltdown will alter the European mindset.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 12-12-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post

I'd also be very interested to see to what extent what is rapidly becoming a European economic meltdown will alter the European mindset.
I would not be that interested because if things go really bad on Europe you will have a world crisis far worse than the last one and chances are that some big economies that are very connected like the American and Japanese will suffer heavily and I will not know till what point because the factors that are behind the European crisis are common to Japan and to the United States. They are there waiting to explode and may well explode.

Why do you think that Australia, Japan and United States are buying European debt even if it is a risky affair? Well, the answer is obvious, nobody will do a bad business if it has a possibility of not doing it

Regards

Paulo
Old 12-12-2011

JedNeck is on a distinguished road
I bought my Cal21 over the summer as a stepping stone boat, with the full intent to sell her next year after learning to sail her...but she just fits our needs so well with her swing keel for the thin water in front of our dock and the ability to trailer anywhere we like. Add to that the ability to sleep 4, low maintenance and no moorage on our dock or in our driveway and she is near perfect, for now.

We plan to keep her now for at least 5 years when living aboard becomes a viable option because the kidos are out of the house.
Old 12-13-2011
Mirage 29

sailjunkie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinVictoria View Post
1) A long time, because finances don't let me get something bigger.
2) Hopefully at least as long as intend owning her for
Well said, Paul.

I would also add that for the 2 of us, 30' meets our needs. Further, going bigger means more boat systems to learn and more $'s needed for improvements.

Instead of buying a different boat, I can see spending money on additional improvemens that increase our enjoyment. However, I doubt if those improvements will significantly affect the boat's re-sale value.

S/V Avatar
Mirage 29'
Port Moody, BC

It's not my fault they named a movie after our boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-13-2011

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Australia in recent years has most certainly caught the "it must be new" disease. Second hand car prices have most certainly plumetted, new boats depreciate faster than they once did.
From what I understand the economy in Australia is booming, unlike the United States.

Last edited by Faster; 12-14-2011 at 08:03 PM. Reason: fixed quote
Old 12-13-2011

fryewe is on a distinguished road
I have owned my NS27 since '83. Figgered she would be the only boat I ever owned. She was a bit precious considering my income at that time, and I didn't think I could afford to buy another boat later. I was smitten by her. She is paid off (you'd expect after 28 years). I gave her my Mom's name so now I can't get rid of her. She will outlive me, and I will pass her on to my granddaughter.
Old 12-14-2011

patrscoe is on a distinguished road
Maybe 10 yrs or so. I am in my mid/low 40's and hoping to do more extensive cruises when our kids are in college, which is another 9 to 10 yrs. Perhaps purchasing a larger and more of a offshore design. That's the plan but money, children's college, health, etc... will play a factor into this.

Our current sailboat will outlast our plans.

S2 11.0A 36'
Kinsale, Va
Tanzer 16'
Moseley, Va
Old 12-14-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Peoples,
I've started a new thread on Off Topic to discuss the economic questions raised here. Some posts have been copied (not moved, just copied) to that thread.
Faster likes this.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett