SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   How long do you expect to keep your boat/how long will it last? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/81576-how-long-do-you-expect-keep-your-boat-how-long-will-last.html)

killarney_sailor 12-09-2011 07:23 PM

How long do you expect to keep your boat/how long will it last?

Two separate, but perhaps related questions, with my answers:

1. How long do you expect to keep your current boat? Why?

2. Can you anticipate how long your boat might last? Perhaps based on when would the cost of maintenance/upgrading be more than the boat is worth - or maybe the boat just starts to fall apart. :o

For my Bristol 45.5
1. Probably be looking to sell when we complete our circumnavigation. We intend to return to Lake Ontario and the boat is just too large for most of the little harbors we would be visiting. We have terrific reciprocal visiting privileges between yacht clubs, but most don't have docks for a 45'. This assumes we can get a decent price for the boat which may be a big assumption for a few years.

2. I think she will be going strong for many decades - the quality and strength of construction is so good that boat value is high enough to justify major upgrades like a new engine (not that is needed any time soon). I assume we will need new #2 and main on our return since we will likely be 40,000+ miles on genoa and more on the main.

tommays 12-09-2011 07:52 PM

The only issues the Cal 29 has had were self imposed wood core and chain plate leaks from a compleat lack of owner care

After the original systems lasted from 1970 until the 2011 refit was finished I cant really see the boat wearing out in my lifetime

The real issue I foresee is insurance company's getting pissy about the age regardless of how well it surveys

PaulinVictoria 12-09-2011 08:58 PM

1) A long time, because finances don't let me get something bigger.
2) Hopefully at least as long as intend owning her for :)

tdw 12-09-2011 09:21 PM

1. I'm figuring on ten - fifteen years. She is likely to be my last big sail boat though if I am still up to it I'll likely go for a stinker for my dotage.

2. As to how long she will last, I suspect well beyond my lifetime.

Faster 12-09-2011 09:30 PM

Nearly 30 years old and still looks like 10, she'll likely outlast us unless something untoward occurs..

How long for us? As long as we can afford her, I suppose (got a nasty moorage increase notice this week....) but she's the right size for the two of us as long as we're fit. Unlikely we'll upgrade - we're on our way down from 40 feet - unless some long lost relative leaves us something unexpected...

As to the stinkpot.... maybe one day but not something fast, that's for sure. I'd prefer to think not, but on the water somehow would be better than not.

mgmhead 12-09-2011 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdw (Post 804963)
1. I'm figuring on ten - fifteen years. She is likely to be my last big sail boat though if I am still up to it I'll likely go for a stinker for my dotage.

2. As to how long she will last, I suspect well beyond my lifetime.

Ditto...

wingNwing 12-09-2011 09:36 PM

If someone would just build an assisted-living marina, we'd be able to stay on our CSY 33 forever. :) As is, we've lived aboard for 10 years now and replaced just about every system on the boat. I expect she'll outlast us ...

tdw 12-09-2011 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faster (Post 804967)

snip

As to the stinkpot.... maybe one day but not something fast, that's for sure. I'd prefer to think not, but on the water somehow would be better than not.

Fast,
If i did go stinker it would be something slow that is for sure. No way I am paying the bills to go 20 knots. I'd reckon probably something like a Grand Banks or if i had the money maybe something like BP's 48' motor sailor without the masts, though I'm not sure Sr Perry would approve. :eek:

Lake Superior Sailor 12-09-2011 11:50 PM

Gee: I intend to take her with me ,my true love! As to when;" I have only begon to fight!"==Dale

RobGallagher 12-09-2011 11:53 PM

Just sold my '72 C&C 30 after 11 years of ownership.

Could have kept her another 10 years, but, I was looking for more creature comforts.

Could have spent 10K upgrading, but no amount of reasonable investment would have given me more head, bunk and shower room.

Otherwise I would still have the boat. Great all around sailboat, but a bit too much like camping for a 6'2" person.

I don't have 4, 3, 2, or even 1 footitis, just headroomitis.

I would like to keep my next boat for at least ten years, hopefully fifteen. Then I will be close to retirement and can start looking for a comfy live aboard cruiser.

The hunt continues....