Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2011

Rustyf is an unknown quantity at this point
Beneteau First 367 for Coastal Cruising

Any thoughts on this boat as a coastal cruiser in the Pac. Northwest. Mostly day sailing but some two or three day cruises with a short crew of two or three but sailing parties for a day with 6 to 8 on board.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-11-2011

b40Ibis is on a distinguished road
The first series is normally for buoy racing but can be used as you describe. I just took a look on yachtworld and looks like they are asking around 100k for the circa 2000 models. My first observation is the main sheet traveler across the whole cockpit and the huge wheel... important for racing but not for comfort or parties. But believe me, it can be done! Long deep fin keel and rudder, nice.... but what else can you buy for 110k?
Old 12-11-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
It's a very rewarding boat to sail, responsive and quick. It would be a great BC boat esp in summer.. but it also responds well reefed in a breeze. We have friends that have been cruising/island hopping between Grenada and Barbuda for 10 years now on a B 36.7.

Storage is lacking, but it doesn't sound like you're planning any month long trips, and in any event in the PNW there's always somewhere to shop and stock up.

We've done over a thousand miles with them down south... fast and fun but yet we managed two weeks with up to 6 aboard no problem, many times. It would be pretty high on my list if it was within budget though my wife would still rather do the Catalina route....

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 12-11-2011

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
I'm with Faster. A great boat for what you propose. Especially if you are willing to give up some creature comforts for sailing performance. Assume the deep keel isn't an issue in the PNW. There is a shoal keel version but not many around.
Old 12-11-2011

jackdale will become famous soon enough
I have used one for teaching coastal cruising. I quite liked it. It will sleep five in separate berths. In light air it moves well.

The galley is adequate. Nice chart table.

Downsides

There is no real double berths. The V berth is quite cramped for two, the aft double has one person sleeping under the the cockpit.

The large racing wheel combined with a cockpit traveller and the backstay adjuster make transom access virtually impossible. There is no gate so you have to climb on board at the shrouds. It has quite a bit of freeboard.

The head is a bit small and can be a little hard to access.

The top shelves in saloon are quirky. Stuff can fall off if you open the cupboard.

The holding tank is a bit small. The pump out is under the v-berth.

There is no cockpit table.

Will post more when it comes to mind.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)

Last edited by jackdale; 12-11-2011 at 09:39 PM.
Old 12-11-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
I have used one for teaching coastal cruising. I quite liked it. It will sleep five in separate berths. ....
There is no real double berths. .
Interesting comments, Jack.. We were on a (rare) tiller version, French built and purchased new in Guadaloupe. The twin aft cabins are twins exc some ventilation is available through the lazarette for the port cabin. Without the wheel the centerline bulkhead between the two aft cabins is in fact on center.. I still had to tuck myself somewhat under the cockpit sole, but I'm sure it's less confining than what you described with the wheel version. We had no problem sleeping aft, and we are neither of us petite. The owners are smallish people and the V berth seems fine for them.

The boat had a extendable ladder off the swim platform but had the cross-transom seat bolted in place (life raft underneath) so it was a bit of a scramble, the backstay is a handy grab. This one had just a life-line gate across the stern.

All in all I think it would be a fun boat to own/sail.. esp in this area.
jackdale likes this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 12-11-2011

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
She might be a handful in the hands of an inexperienced crew.
If your comfortable sailing her than she will serve you well as a quick cruiser.
I agree with the comment about the traveler; although good for control with a race crew, I can see myself knocking my shins on it about 5 times an hour.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 12-11-2011

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Another thought.

The 36.7's have been raced successfully in Swiftsure, Van Isle and other PNW races. I crewed on Evolution in Swiftsure in 2004 and Jaz in Swiftsure in 2008. They are not just around the buoys racers in this neck of the woods.

I used Evolution as a teaching boat for a few years.

It is a versatile boat in that respect.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 12-12-2011

TejasSailer is on a distinguished road
Rusty,

We have Beneteau First 36.7 standard draft (shallow) and mostly daysail with several overnighters a year. We also sailed one in the med on a two week cruise. Storage is limited, but that means using an aft berth for storage and generally we just stop storing stuff earlier. The holding tank seemed not just small, but inadequate, so we installed a larger tank. She is a "handful" to sail. My wife has the wheel and I handle the lines. I've never tried sailing solo and doubt that I could in other than lighter air.

As mentioned, sleeping accommodations are limited both in length and width.. My wife and I are both 5' 6" and svelte.

Contact me via private message if you would like to discuss in detail.

Last edited by TejasSailer; 12-12-2011 at 08:30 AM.
Old 12-12-2011

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough
I looked at one back when I was looking for a boat with three separate sleeping cabins. I took the boat off my list when I saw how small the lazarette(s) where.

Of course, they are small because of the aft cabins. As stated above, I expect that one of the aft cabins would be used for storage.

I recall that there is a removable storage locker aft.

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown

Last edited by djodenda; 12-13-2011 at 02:26 PM.