Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2011
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road
Assume you are are using PE for physical education? I was not aware that they even had PE classes at UVI. Please look at the directory and see if a name looks familar UVI Directory

Honestly the longevity of most that run boats for others is typically very short. Do you know what kind of boat you were on? Size? Number of passengers? Did it originate in St Thomas and swing into Cruz to pick you up?

FYI: Bad captains who don't take care of their customers don't last long in the biz.

Enjoy your trip.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-13-2011
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarCry View Post
Assume you are are using PE for physical education? I was not aware that they even had PE classes at UVI. Please look at the directory and see if a name looks familar UVI Directory

Honestly the longevity of most that run boats for others is typically very short. Do you know what kind of boat you were on? Size? Number of passengers? Did it originate in St Thomas and swing into Cruz to pick you up?

FYI: Bad captains who don't take care of their customers don't last long in the biz.

Enjoy your trip.
Yes, PE is phys ed, not Professional Engineer. IIRC, he said he taught PE teachers who were working on their Masters. I had already looked at the directory for the Ed department and did not recognize him. I'll go through the whole directory later.

He had been doing the boat runs for many years - at least 10. It was a twin screw fishing boat with big high bow and the usual deck space in the mid and stern for trolling, and a door in the transom that was convenient for snorkeling and diving. I would estimate about 40', with seating for 10-12 passengers. The boat was docked in Cruz Bay and he took the ferry over from St. Thomas. This guy was very good and got great tips. I remember his young, female, very cute, but generally clueless assistant ask him why the boat owners always called him to run their boats, and he just smiled.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Last edited by TakeFive; 12-13-2011 at 02:49 PM.
Old 12-13-2011
Freedom 39

Sorry, that doesn't ring a bell at all.
Old 12-13-2011

dbrimm is on a distinguished road
The wife and I have spent years living, working and sailing in the USVI (and Puerto Rican islands, ie Culebra) both ashore and on our sailboat and as previously stated there are issues with crime, corruption, lack of services and the cost of goods other than booze.

The crime and corruption while not as bad as some down-island places (Trinidad, Venezuela?) is at a level that it really can't be compared to any stateside city. I make this comparison after moving to St Thomas from previous stints in East LA and Oakland, keep your eyes open and your wits about you in the USVI and you'll probably be alright.

There isn't any cultural scene in the USVI to speak of to be honest. Reichhold Center and Pistarckle Theater make a impressive effort to offer such but it can't really be compared to what is available stateside.

The real reason most of us choose to live in the USVI or the Puerto Rican islands is the weather, the sailing, the cheap rum :-) ... all of which are plentiful and great.

Sailing around St John

Salt Pond on St John, a great quiet getaway..

Leinster on St John, busier but still great!

Don't overlook visiting the Puerto Rican islands of Culebra and/or Vieques. Often times you can have Culebrita (off Culebra) nearly all to yourself.

-------------------------

Enjoy a sundowner from your mooring in St Thomas (Crown Bay)
Old 12-13-2011

eddie nelson is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Crime is a concern and I won't ignore that negative facet of life here. The politics must be experienced to be appreciated. It makes places like Chicago and New Orleans seem corruptionfree.
Watch it BIG BOY!
Old 12-13-2011
Freedom 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie nelson View Post
Watch it BIG BOY!
My bad, REDNECK!!!!
Old 12-13-2011

eddie nelson is on a distinguished road
Lmao!
Old 12-15-2011
Reforming Stinkpotter

captainjay is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmDoctor View Post
For those of you in USVI, I have a question for you.

Last time we were down there we took a powerboat cruise from Cruz Bay to the Baths with a lunch stop at Cooper Island and Snorkeling in the caves at Norman Island on the way back. Our captain was outstanding, and I would like to go with the same company/captain again when we return there in a few weeks. Unfortunately, I don't remember who it was. All I remember is that the captain's "day gig" was at UVI teaching PE, and he lived on St. Thomas. He didn't own his own boat - he just worked for other charter owners who called him to run their boats for him. And although he was born and raised on the US mainland, he had lived in St. Thomas for over a decade.

I'm hoping that it's a small enough community that you guys might be able to let me know who the guy is, and what companies he captains for.

Any help would be appreciated.

Based on the description that you gave Farcry, I would bet the boat you are looking for is Born To Rumb. Based out of St John a New England lobster style boat inspected for 12 people. Google them or look on facebook. You will likely remember the boat.
Jay

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 12-15-2011

Ulladh is on a distinguished road
Lots of great information.

I need to take a two week land based vacation and check it out. I am already convinced that the sailing would be well worth it.

But just as I dream of warm waters, another contract comes through and I have work for another year or two.

The same thing happens when I wax the skis; the snow stops and temperatures rise.

So next year will be sailing the Delaware Bay and out beyond the bay entrance to...
Old 12-15-2011
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainjay View Post
Based on the description that you gave Farcry, I would bet the boat you are looking for is Born To Rumb. Based out of St John a New England lobster style boat inspected for 12 people. Google them or look on facebook. You will likely remember the boat.
Jay
No, it's not a lobster boat. But thanks for trying - I do appreciate your effort.

I finally managed to track it down. The boat is Stormy Petrel, run by The Charter Boat Center. I don't know the name of the guy who drove the boat before, but I suspect they'll know who I'm talking about when I call them tomorrow. Here's what I mean by "big, high bow":

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)