SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Got Our First Sailboat! (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/81702-got-our-first-sailboat.html)

SeaMck333 12-13-2011 08:26 AM

Got Our First Sailboat!

My wife and I just bought our first sail boat! Its an '76 Ericson 27. We are very excited and so is our little boy, Dobbs.

"The Teacher's Pet" had quite a package including two mains and four head sails (storm, jib, and two genoas). Four-stroke mercury outboard (fired right up), plumbing working fine. Electric working fine. threw in a auto tiller and humingbird 300dx. The rigging is within a few years old, and looks good. Got PFD's and horns and flares and the lot. I could go on, but ya'll get the idea.

What it needs is to be hauled this spring for bottom paint, no blisters, but why risk not doing it. Cabin windows need to be re-bedded. I could probably use a better tiller handle as well, as the current one seems much to small. Also toying with a renameing, but don't need any wrath of Poseidon so maybe not.

Can't wait to post some pics!

cb32863 12-13-2011 09:37 AM

Congrats on the boat and welcome to the asylum!
:cool:

Southcoasting 12-13-2011 09:49 AM

Nice choice for a first sail boat...Congrats

We're on our first as well and have not sailed yet...Getting mine ready little by little...

Nothing major, just buffed topsides, redoing some electrical the right way via Mainesail's suggestion, giving the Atomic 4 some TLC so it treats me well in my first season (I hope), and right now working on re-bedding hardware with butyl tape and countersinking holes well (Mainesail's suggestion as well)...

kwaltersmi 12-13-2011 10:24 AM

Congratulations to both SeaMck and SouthCoasting! The E27 is a good, solid boat. We looked at several when we were shopping for a "first boat". We also replaced the tiller on our first boat with a stout wheelbarrel handle. The size was perfect, oak is strong, and it already had a nice hand grip. You can see a quick blog post I wrote about the project here.

Best wishes getting your boats ready for spring. And don't forget to post some pictures to formally introduce them to the forum!

PaulfromNWOnt 12-13-2011 10:40 AM

I love "New Boat" threads. :D

Congratulations to you both, and as was posted above, you got a nice first boat. :)

joeybkcmo 12-13-2011 10:44 AM

Congratulations, enjoy the boat

svHornblower 12-13-2011 11:29 AM

Your post made me smile! It just reminded me of when my boat was new to me and how happy I was.

Congratulations.

LandLocked66c 12-13-2011 11:40 AM

:worthless:

ccriders 12-13-2011 11:41 AM

Wow, that's pretty cool. You know your boat has quite a reputation for voyaging, something to look forward to.
Have fun sailing, and get your kid fully trained and skilled and you can sail into your old age with him at the helm and maybe your grand child on the foredeck.
John

SeaMck333 12-13-2011 11:44 AM

Thanks for the congrats everyone! Pics coming soon, I promise! lol