Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2011

peterchech is on a distinguished road
Purposely swamping your boat to survive a storm

OK, the sailing season is pretty much over in the Northeast (it's finally getting too cold for me at least to comfortably sail) so my thoughts have been in warmer climes...

I was reading an interesting book about outrigger canoe culture on a small pacific island called "east is a big bird".

Apparently, the voyagers of these ocean going canoes would purposely swamp their boats when conditions got truly bad. By doing this, the stresses on the boat were reduced substantially and it would be less likely to fall apart.

I have heard of capsized multihulls in which the sailors survive truly horrible conditions by either cutting a door or entering an "escape hatch" and sitting out the storm within the swamped boat. Considering that it takes a breaking wave of at least the beam of a multihull to capsize it (unless it has no drogue and pitchpoles of course) so most likely these must have been some truly horrid sea states. This all assumes warm seas and survival gear of course...

I'm not sure how this would work with a swamped keel boat that has positive flotation installed...

It seems to me, as an occasional surfer, that being flooded would indeed reduce the forces of breaking waves. But it would also prevent you from being able to dodge breaking waves, or steer the bow into/away from them.

I don't think swamping your boat would be a "storm tactic" lol but hey... I wonder if it would work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-16-2011

tommays will become famous soon enough
As it would destroy all the stuff inside the boat i cant see much upside

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-16-2011

sawingknots is on a distinguished road
yeah what tom. said,also it would probablely get rolled/tossed around like a submerged log until there was nothing salvageable,i doubt the s.pacific natives had engines/electronics or miles of electric wire,conections etc to worry about,at sea my master plan is to avoid storms,do the best i can when i can't and stay above the water at all costs
Old 12-16-2011

PCP will become famous soon enough
A swapped mono-hull would be easier to be capsized and would have a much lower AVS point. When a wavet hit the boat and the boat heel, all the water inside would move to the wrong side of the boat increasing heeling even more.

However that can be useful to bring a capsized monohull to the upright position, for the same reason but you would have to get rid of all that water before getting capsized again

I hope not be never on that situation. The better is never to be capsized and if so have a boat that does not need the help of a partially flooded boat to get back on its feet.

Some years ago I remember to have read a description of a capsize where that happened. They staid turtle for a considerable period of time and only when the boat was partially flooded it went the right side again with the help of some waves.

Regards

Paulo
Old 12-16-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Interesting idea... having tried to sail a semi swamped dinghy a couple of dozen yards to a beach, the lack of stability due to the moving, heavy "ballast" was exciting.. and ultimately unsuccessful. Eventually she turned over and I swam it to the beach....

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 12-16-2011

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
I know of a couple of older vessels intentionally sunk to save them from hurricane damage. Both were raised after, and survived for years. But I don't think I'd like to try with mine. Also, in a decked vessel not completely full, the water will surge with the passing seas, possibly causing structural damage.
Old 12-16-2011

flyingwelshman will become famous soon enough
Not quite the same but Thomas James (of James Bay fame) sank his ship to prevent ice damage, then refloated the boat when he was ready to sail away.

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Yves Cousteau
Old 12-17-2011

Rockter will become famous soon enough
Seawater will get everywhere, knocking out a bunch of sub-systems.
It will soak the crew, and they are very likely to get cold.
This far north, like 57 deg latitude, they will be frozen, and quickly.
I really don't like the idea of it.
Old 12-19-2011
Señor Member

ottos is on a distinguished road
A swamped keelboat would quickly become a submarine....there's a lot of lead in that keel. Partially swamped...perhaps. Filler up to the top of the nav station?...I don't think so.

Some cats come with positive floatation, but with keelboats it is really a moot point. You would lose an extraordinary amount of the cabin to the flotation.

Old 12-19-2011

CapnBilll is on a distinguished road
I just read Pardeys book "storm tactics", it has a lot of good pointers for extreme storm survival, including those that worked while the author passed through a hurricane in a small sailing vessel.

His main tactic was stalling the hull, using storm trysail, or fully reefed main, set in a heave-to position, keeping the boat located in the slick created by the hull side slipping through the water, (supplimented with sea anchor as needed to insure boat did not sail out of the slick.

He raises a lot of good points, I can't wait to try them out myself.

Flooding the hull was NOT one of his recommended tactics.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.