Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By denverd0n

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2011

SailorAm is on a distinguished road
Enclosed Cockpit Question

I just got my enclosure and am eager to use it...The canvas man strongly warned me not to put it on until Spring. He says it will crack with the cold weather from the northern Chesapeake. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-19-2011

Lake Superior Sailor is on a distinguished road
Once it's up you would probably be OK but any flexing on clear plastic tends to brake it. Canvas Ice Shacks use the same plastic , it lasts OK as long as you don't bend it --Dale
Where God got it done!
Old 12-19-2011

denverd0n is on a distinguished road
Go ahead. Why not? Ignoring the guy who is an EXPERT in these things seems like a really good idea! Obviously he is just trying to spoil your fun.
Old 12-20-2011
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
We had our enclosure up for the winter when we lived aboard in NYC. Certainly the vinyl windows get very brittle in the cold and it is very easty to break one - even with careful movements.

If you just want to put it up because it is new and you are excited to see it I would leave it until spring since you would be really angry if you broke a window. If you have a reason for having it up then go for it but be very careful about keeping the panels really straight - best to do it an a sunny, warm day too.
Back to Grenada in early December. Not sure I will remember how to sail. Will spend the winter and early spring in the Caribbean and then head to Bermuda and the northeast US. Still trying to decide if we will bring the boat to Canada, either in 2015 or 2016.
Old 12-20-2011
Sunsets and Warm Beer....

LandLocked66c is on a distinguished road
If you've got money to burn, why not! I'm sure he'll appreciate the future work!

You can't steer a boat that isn't moving? Just like a life - P. Lutus
Old 12-20-2011

Thanks for the HELPFUL advice
As for the smart remarks... A word from the movie Bambi...if you can't say nothin nice don't say nothin at ALL

Last edited by SailorAm; 12-20-2011 at 09:33 AM.
Old 12-20-2011

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
It would be nice to know that everything fits properly before paying your canvas guy.

2 problems with doing this once the temp drops below 35°:
- the Eisenglass usually shrinks a little bit making it very difficult to connect the panels.
- It also gets very brittle

Here is what I would do. Find a nice sunny non windy warm day(50°+). Preheat the panels in your car so they are soft when you put it up. Check the fit and photograph any concerns. Carefully take the enclosure down and store for the winter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 12-20-2011

:)

Thanks for the helpful/useful advice, it's greatly appreciated
Old 12-20-2011

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
a. You can't fit it in the cold, as others have said. Funny, though. Normally installation is part of the cost.
b. The cold won't hurt it per se. However...
c. At any temperature below about 55F there is some danger of cracking if you bend or roll anything. By 32F it is a near certainty. This is trick for a full encoluse, because you have to move the door, at least, so the vendor is right.

When spring comes you will be tempted by a warm day, that isn't as warm as it seems. Don't fool with it until it hits 60F. I cracked a window on an older enclosure at about 55F, and with my new enclosure I will not roll the windows unless it is above 65, basically not until I need ventilation.

This is why I don't like full enclosures: you need them in the winter but can't USE them in the winter. A parcial enclosure is better, IMHO, and you may want to conside removing parts of yours before cold weather. Sounds backwards, but that's how I see it. I think they make the best sence in cool rainy areas, not so much on the Chesapeake.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-20-2011

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
We take all of our canvas off in the winter.

Also try and use the correct cleaner to clean and polish the glass/ It works like rainex when applied frequently. Use the right cloth also or you will get scratches. In addition we cover our windows with a sunbrella shield when not there during the week in season. We have stratglass, but isenglass is the same, it degrades faster than the fabric it is sewn in

IMAR Strataglass Cleaners

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Tags
cockpit , enclosures

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.