Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2011
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road
Fuel Consumption

We do not have a fuel gauge on Lealea so I keep meticulous records of engine hours and fuel added. Over time I have determined that our Yanmar 2GM20 will run 2.5 hours on one gallon of diesel fuel; 32.5 hours on the main tank and 25 hours in reserve. We generally cruise under power at 2800rpm and waddle along at about 6.5 knots in flat calm water.

When calculating how far we can get under power I usually use 4 knots because the water is not usually flat calm out there. Sometimes we have found we are going up and down as much as forward.

Looking over my logbook I see that, in over 3000 nautical miles covered, our total fuel consumption for 2011 has been 12.2 gallons

Just wondering how others are managing fuel, other than just pretending the boat is a car and relying on the fuel gauge. Our friend Captain Wendell who operates a Vessel Assist boat out of Seattle tells us that out of gas due to faulty gauges is one of the most common reasons for help calls.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-20-2011

St Anna is on a distinguished road
I do the same as you - only use engine hours and try and always keep tanks to the brim to reduce condensation.

I did have fuel guages and as I could not trust them I removed them. I will cruise at about 2000rpm which gives us 6.5kn in most conditions and I adjust for seastate if it is rough. We have the Yanmar 4JH2-UTE. Usually rough seas means some breeze so we sail in that case. I hate the ride through seas if only under motor.

The last 'larger' section I did, I used the motor more than I wanted and after 750nm, I needed 50L.

Just mucking around the Bay, I will have used more than this - especially after my father decided the turbo needs to be used more~3400rpm.

As for the running out of fuel, well, hopefully not and even though I am almost in suburbia now, I still keep another 4 20L jerry's

Old 12-20-2011
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by St Anna View Post
always keep tanks to the brim to reduce condensation.
Something we had to learn the hard way when we went north.

Old 12-21-2011

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
I don't have guages, I use a dipstick. I don't track my usage, but I filled the tanks two years ago. After daysailing often (50 times a year?) and a few overnight cruises, I added 20 gallons this year. I probably had not used more than 40 in two years. I do like the 12 gallon figure. My figures indicate probably a half gallon per daysail. The engine is a 4-107, the boat 16tons.
Old 12-22-2011

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
Your engine will use about 0.6 lb of fuel per horsepower an hour. Diesel is 7.13 lb per Gallon.

So with my boat's engine of 64 HP, it is: 0.6 x 64/7.13 will give my approximate fuel consumpion per hour of 5.39 gallons an hour. My tanks max is 180. I fill my tanks to 10% short of 180 which is 162 gallons and divide that with 5.39 gives me about 29 hours of operating time, considering the thievage of the height of the pickup tubes above the bottom of the tanks.
It is a good thing I have a ketch because the wind is free.

Maritime Instructor

S/V Rapture
Old 12-22-2011

JedNeck is on a distinguished road
Didn't use a drop all year...I have a big electric outboard motor though.

I am a freak about MPG tracking in my car though. It's amazing what you can see just by watching fuel mileage.
Old 12-22-2011

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boasun View Post
Your engine will use about 0.6 lb of fuel per horsepower an hour. Diesel is 7.13 lb per Gallon.

So with my boat's engine of 64 HP, it is: 0.6 x 64/7.13 will give my approximate fuel consumpion per hour of 5.39 gallons an hour. My tanks max is 180. I fill my tanks to 10% short of 180 which is 162 gallons and divide that with 5.39 gives me about 29 hours of operating time, considering the thievage of the height of the pickup tubes above the bottom of the tanks.
It is a good thing I have a ketch because the wind is free.
Only at max rpms I think. Even so, that seems high. I'm not disputing your figures, but my nominally 45 hp engine uses little over a gallon an hour at most, and usually less.
Old 12-22-2011
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
30-HP gasoline engine, 12,500-pound Morgan 33 O.I., slack tide running at 2,000 RPM, speed of 6.5 to 7.2 depending on bottom cleanliness, 1/2- GPH. This translates to 13 MPG, which I consider excellent fuel economy for this craft.

And, I always keep the fuel tank topped off. Condensation cannot form inside a tank that has no air inside.

Cheers,

Gary
Old 12-23-2011

Cruiser2B is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
30-HP gasoline engine, 12,500-pound Morgan 33 O.I., slack tide running at 2,000 RPM, speed of 6.5 to 7.2 depending on bottom cleanliness, 1/2- GPH. This translates to 13 MPG, which I consider excellent fuel economy for this craft.

And, I always keep the fuel tank topped off. Condensation cannot form inside a tank that has no air inside.

Cheers,

Gary
I have gas A4 and use about 1gallon an hour !. I usually cruise at 18-2000 rpm at 5.5knt. I love the little engine as it is quiet and reliable and freshly rebuilt...but it is a gas hog! We had a good sailing season and used about 25 gallons total. I will someday either have a beta diesel or electric conversion....
Old 12-23-2011
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
We have a fuel gauge that reads for both tanks and both tanks have sight tubes (I use these more often than the gauge) and I track all fuel and hours just because I'm anal about not running out of fuel (tanks hold 190 US gal), which will probably guarantee that I'll run out at some point:-)) Our old Volvo 62 hp consistently burns 1 gph at 2500 rpm which is a little over 6 knots through the water when calm. Wide open I"m sure it would use 3-4 gph.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.