Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2011

jeffphoto is on a distinguished road
Hi SloopJonB,
I've noticed that, when I am on on the Wezt Coast. The boats look pretty ratty as compared to most of those on the East Coast. No offence.
When does one cover them and how does that affect costs?
Jeff
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-25-2011

overbored is on a distinguished road
On the west coast it is not as common to own the jackstands because we don't keep boats on the hard for the winter. to keep a boat on the hard can be more expensive then in the water. slips are harder to come by and we don't have the space to put the boats near the water. when you have the boat hauled it is out for only hours and not months. even if you do leave it out for extensive repair you will need to pay for a slip because if you give it up it may be hard to find another when you need it. the bigger the boat the harder it is to find a place to put it. the Bay area it is a little easier then down south where the waiting list for a 30' can be a year and bigger slips can be 5 to 10 years. some of the yards will allow DIYers and family members but will not let you bring in an outside contractor to do the work. The SF Bay has more J boats and So Cal there are more Schock boats. before I bought my Soverel 33 the J 30 was on my short list but there just are not many here on this coast and there were not any for sale.
Old 12-25-2011

NewportNewbie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffphoto View Post
Hi SloopJonB,
I've noticed that, when I am on on the Wezt Coast. The boats look pretty ratty as compared to most of those on the East Coast. No offence.
When does one cover them and how does that affect costs?
Jeff
Depends on where you are....In Newport Harbor there is the full gamut...

Brand new Junneau's that are pristine and msrp above 250k to one off million dollar blue water boats to BEATERS that are basically vagrant liveaboards. I would say that of the boats I see that people actually sail, the harbor has almost no rundown boats. I see a lot of people who bought a boat and a mooring and when times got hard they let the boat go to neglect thinking that they can spruce it up when they get back on their feet. Then the Sea Lions start living on them....After awhile its not worth it and they will sell the mooring at .50 on the dollar only if you take the boat that goes with it. Until then, it stays there in neglect. The boat next to mine is an old fishing boat named Buckshot...its never moved, the wildlife has made a home out of it, and it would take far too much money to rehab it....

Now back to the original poster...

$20k can get you a Santana 30/30....a NICE boat...it can also get you a Santana 35, also a nice boat. A Santana 30, is more like $10k...I probably wouldn't compare it to a J/30, more a cruiser, but still ALOT of boat for the money. I also see a lot of J boats here in the Harbor...so I think you can get one, I see more in the Pacifice NW, like Washington State and Vancouver, and yes the Bay Area LOVES the smaller Santanas.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-25-2011
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffphoto View Post
Hi SloopJonB,
When does one cover them and how does that affect costs? Jeff
I think one difference is that on the west coast the boats are used year round, even up here on the WET coast. Down in Cali they also get a lot of sun, as I alluded to in my OP. On the east coast and on the lakes they are hauled for a large part of the year and the lucky ones live indoors so they probably get worked on more and used less - that would account for the differences in "Bristolness". Around here some fussy owners cover them if they are being left for a week or more and definitely for the winter - November to Easter more or less.

If I had a Bristol boat in Cali and also had a custom cover, I'd be tempted to put it on if the boat was being left for a week or more - but I'm fairly OCD.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 12-26-2011

Hi SloopJonB,
Thanks agin for all your help and advice. Really, thanks to all - I've learned alot in a short time!
Jeff
Old 12-27-2011

Chris King is on a distinguished road
Other west coast boats you might want to look at in include Olson 30s and Express 27s. Both are a little more "racy" than a J30 but are common.

I don't think it would be that hard to find a J30. Look in Latitude 38. There is a broker in Alameda that specializes in J boats, Sail California I think.

The biggest yards in the East Bay are Svendson's in Alameda and KKMI in Richmond. I don't think either will allow you to paint your own bottom (though I'm not positive). Berkeley Marine encourages DIY folks.
Old 12-27-2011
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris King View Post
The biggest yards in the East Bay are Svendson's in Alameda and KKMI in Richmond. I don't think either will allow you to paint your own bottom (though I'm not positive). Berkeley Marine encourages DIY folks.
When I bought my boat in San Rafael in '03 the yards were charging $1/foot a DAY just for the storage.

At the pace I usually work I'd bankrupt myself doing a bottom job. I'd be sorely tempted to take a boat up to Napa to work on it for anything more than a prop swap.

Perhaps the Bay sailors can weigh in with other affordable options.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 12-27-2011
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris King View Post
Svend's allows DIYers for certain.
Old 12-30-2011

At this point I'm waiting for a trucking quote from Brownell's - probably after the New Year. The other alternitive for keeping my current boat is to buy a trailer in the East and sell it in the West. It seems tp be easier to sell a trailer than find a used one.
Old 12-30-2011

By the way, what is the story with moorings on the East Bay? I see only slips. Are moorings illegal or do the marina opperators frown on them? In Atlantic Highlands, NJ, where my boat is now, they are $2000 per season, which is pricy, but still cheaper than a slip for $3000. In many places in the East the cost of a mooring is nill, but the qaiting list may be forever.

Tags
j/30 , west coast racers