Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2012

Boz is on a distinguished road
Re: Does any one have a mistral 16'

That was a good description.
I hoist the mast the same way, and it looks to me to be the only way. Otherwise you need at least one other person to hold the mast upright.
What takes me the most time is to unpack everything from the trailer and car just to start rigging - and same goes for taking the rig down. Hopefully with some more practice it will move much faster.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-02-2012

dklein90 is on a distinguished road

I'm going to look at at Mistral 16 on Tuesdauy morning 6/5. Looks like a decent boat, They are supposed to be modeled after the Wayfarer which I have always wanted. My only problem is this boat would only fill my desire for a day sailer not an overnighter. A Wayfarer is better at both tasks than the Mistral. But I want a boat and this one is for sale and close by, a Wayfarer would be more difficult to find (at leat I could be sailing and racing this summer)

Here is a link to the craigslist add. http://nh.craigslist.org/boa/3039017552.html

Can anyone who is familiar with these boats tell me anything I should be looking out for or offer any advise.

As far as replacement parts and sails does the wayfarer and cl-15 parts and pieces fit onto this boat?

I used to have a Newport 21 (which was also a rare boat) I loved it but it was a little to big to take in and out of the water all the time, I need something smaller and lighter then that was.

Thanks for any info anyone can provide.

Last edited by dklein90; 06-02-2012 at 10:54 AM.
Old 06-02-2012
Huck

smallboatlover is on a distinguished road

Yes look for loose fittings on my boat none of the fittings had backing plates my jib fairlead poped out while sailing last year. Also there really nice boat more of a racing boat then cruiseing kind. they like to heel a lot when sailing. no to good in heavy winds unless you have more then just 1 person. im always single handed so heavy weather sailing for me is dificult.
Old 06-02-2012

Thanks, thats good to know, I'll take a good look for loose fittings. Was that an easy fix or have you not yet fixed the problem. Seems likke it would be dificult to get backing plates onto the back of the fittings with no access into the hull.

Here is a link you might be interested in. Its from the Canadian Wayfarer Association.

http://www.wayfarer-canada.org/wayfarer_racing.pdf

loads of info on Wayfarers which are almost the same boat.
Old 06-03-2012

I ordered some stuff from C&L boats last summer (motor bracket), their CL16 is almost identical to Mistral 16. I believe rigging is directly compatible, likely rudder & centerboard as well. You can find prices at: C&L Boatworks
Very good service, in my experience.
As for unsupported bracketry that smallboatlover mentions, I had no issue whatsoever - so far, that is. Hull in the photos you sent looks in pretty good shape (mine has stickers that are well faded, if that could be an indication).
Good luck with purchase and sailing!
Old 06-03-2012
Huck

smallboatlover is on a distinguished road
Does any one have a mistral 16'

Yes they were a easy fix and i couldnt put backing plates in but i could put insertes inthat grab more like backinf plate but these inserts you screw in and they flare out then yiu screw your staines screwes into them
Old 06-05-2012

Thanks for all of the info; I’m now a part of the proud Mistral 16 owners club. I think we should try to start an association or at least a face book page for Mistral 16 owners. There are at least 4 of us on Sailnet.

So the boat didn’t look as good in person as it did in the pictures (they never do though) Over all it wasn’t bad, she will need some work to be sailable like reattaching the spreaders, some new lines, and a better inspection of all of the fittings/ heard wear.
16 ft Sail Boat & Trailer

There are some hairline cracks in the decking Im not sure how to fix these but I don’t think it’s too bad) the haul is in good shape though, seemed solid throughout and the gel coat seemed in good condition. The main sail and jib are really the best part of the boat being almost new, some minor stains but the fabric is still crisp and new feeling, no tears or frays.

The owner was asking $1200, I offered $500 and we settled on $800 after some negotiation.

I'll have the boat home on Sunday to give a more thorough cleaning looking over.
Old 06-07-2012

Can anyone tell me or take a picture of what is under the mast on Mistral 16s. I have a pin that goes through the mast about a foot and a half from th bottom of the mast. then the mast pivots up and all the weight is on that pin. It seems like there should be something underneath the mast for it to sit on. Am I missing something or is this really how they work
Old 06-15-2012

@ dklein90
There is nothing below the mast - lower end actually hangs in the air. But do not worry, pivot pin can take both the rigging weight and tension in the stays. When you open round hatches on either side of the mast slot you can feel with your hand how walls are thickened around the pin holes - at least 1/2" of fiberglass there if not more. Also be careful with the cotter pins and washers that keep pivot pin in place - if you drop them it might be quite a job to collect them from the hollow hull.
As for the mast, you should have some kind of removable soft sleeve that you put around the part that sits in the slot - it prevents mast from sliding sideways and prevents it from causing fretting damage to the mast slot. Worst comes to worst, a rug can do it - once you raise the mast you'll understand what am I referring to.
Happy sailing!

Bo
Old 07-03-2012

JENECEKOI is on a distinguished road

Hi,
I am an owner of a Mistral 16 daysailor. We have had the boat in our family for several years. With the kids being very young, it was put aside in storage. Since the kids are now older, I have decided to put it back in the water this summer for every one to enjoy. Unfortunately I am unable to find the spreaders for the shrouds. After a few phone calls, no one seems to be able to help me. My only option seems to get them fabricated from a local weld shop, however I do not have any specs. Can any of you help me out?
Thanks
Matt