Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2012

Boz is on a distinguished road
Re: Does any one have a mistral 16'

Hi Matt:

I'd advise you to look at Sailboats Online, spreader for CL16 (twin to Mistral 16) is around 30CAD, bracket similarly priced - if you need one. If not sure, you can phone Chris Larocque and ask for photos of the parts to be mailed, but I would guess that those parts would be a pretty good fit for mistral.
I bought lightweight motor bracket for my Mistral from them, and it was an excellent service - not to mention that their bracket is the best fit for a small boat that I was able to find.

Happy sailing!
Bo
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-20-2012

daniel12345 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallboatlover View Post
I am just wondering if any one else has the same boat as me. Just want to see what brakes most on these boats and stuff like that compare notes about the boat. i know it's a rare boat but let me know if you have a mistral 16' weather it's the model with the cabin or without the cabin.
Hi there,
We bought a used Mistral 16 in May (2012) with the spi that had been barely used. We had some updates to do on it.
We replaced all the halyards, removed the furling mechanism of the furling jib (otherwise the jib could not be tightened), replaced the jib sheet cleats by bigger ones, secured all the screws that were loose, fixed a punture hole, replaced the plug. We got the original manufacturer's brochure on another forum and realized that the cleat on the mast (starboard)
and the corresponding cleat on the mast (port) are for the Cunningham.
It now sails very well. In fact last week end, my girl friend used the trapeze
by a stable 15 N. The boat did great but...unfortunately, we ended capsizing and we lost the rudder. Do you, or anybody you might know, happen to have a Mistral 16 rudder for sale ?

Daniel

Last edited by daniel12345; 08-22-2012 at 07:54 PM.
Old 08-20-2012
Huck

smallboatlover is on a distinguished road

you should have had the ring in that stops it from coming up. I have no idea
Old 08-21-2012

Sorry to hear about your rudder. But how did it get loose? Tiller should keep it from coming off the pins, and tiller itself is held in place by a line that comes from the rudder and keeps the blade down tight - entire assembly is kind of secured in place.
As for replacement, I have no idea about used ones. New one from CL is 190 (head) + 240 (blade) + 100 (tiller) which is quite a bit of money.

Good luck with your search!

Bo
Old 08-21-2012

Thanks Bo.
Well this boat must be 30 y old at least so there were modifications by previous owners. Also, the St Lawrence River level is low and where we are, in Lake St Louis, many people have broken the centerboard well or the rudder. So I kept the line holding the rudder down rather loose (so if the rudder hit something, it would lift, not break). The crucial thing that was supposed to hold the whole thing in place is a metal clip. It was bent upwards instead of downwards when I inserted the rudder pintle into the gudgeon. THus the clip did not do its job because of that (holding the rudder in place) when the boat capsized.
Anyway, thanks for the info; we will look for a CL. Too bad for that delay, trapeze was great.

Daniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boz View Post
Sorry to hear about your rudder. But how did it get loose? Tiller should keep it from coming off the pins, and tiller itself is held in place by a line that comes from the rudder and keeps the blade down tight - entire assembly is kind of secured in place.
As for replacement, I have no idea about used ones. New one from CL is 190 (head) + 240 (blade) + 100 (tiller) which is quite a bit of money.

Good luck with your search!

Bo
Old 08-21-2012

So I guess you went out on Saturday, as it was quite windy. I went out on Sunday afternoon - was far less windy, and, since I mostly sail alone, makes it a bit easier to balance.
As for the rudder downline, I tend to tighten it, despite shallows around. I have hit rocks few times, but always with centerboard - so far, at least. But you gave me the idea to replace the lines with bungy cords, just for that reason.

Cheers,
Bo
Old 08-22-2012

WE went out on saturday on lake St Louis, at Venture (very close and east to Pointe Claire yacht club). 15 to 17 kn. It was fantastic. 4 hours of impeccable sailing with my girsl friend on trapeze. Then she steered...
Bungy cords: yes we tried that: very difficult to have the right tension. Too much, then there is no reason to put one. Not enough tension, then the rudder lifts with speed.
Daniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boz View Post
So I guess you went out on Saturday, as it was quite windy. I went out on Sunday afternoon - was far less windy, and, since I mostly sail alone, makes it a bit easier to balance.
As for the rudder downline, I tend to tighten it, despite shallows around. I have hit rocks few times, but always with centerboard - so far, at least. But you gave me the idea to replace the lines with bungy cords, just for that reason.

Cheers,
Bo
Old 09-15-2012

dklein90 is on a distinguished road

There is a very inexpensive jam cleat designed just for the job of holding down the rudder. The cleat is on a lever and when the rudder gets bumped it releases. I installed a new jam cleat on my tiller but now that I've heard these stories I'm going to replace it with one that releases. APS - Clamcleats - Auto Release

Is there something that is supposed to hold the rudder onto the boat when upside down? My rudder just sits on the pintails and seems like it could eaisly come off. I've never liked the way it is set up. My old boat I had to keep a hammer in my truck just for getting the rudder off of the boat.

I think I would try to make a new one myself before buying one at several hundred dollars. A sheet of marine grade plywood, west systems epoxy, a jig saw,and some sanding would probably turn out a decent product. The you only need a bracket and tiller. Best of luck to daniel12345.
Old 09-15-2012

dklein90 is on a distinguished road

Just found the other thread about attaching the rudder.
Old 11-05-2012

rustycutter is on a distinguished road

I have a Mistral 16 daysailer. Does anyone know where I can get a new mainsail? Or have this one resewn? I live in eastern Pa