Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2011
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road
I had a 5 hp aircooled 4 stroke. That was at about the limit of my strength lifting onto the mount. In a chop, 4 hp might not be enough, but, you won't be able to keep the prop in the water anyway. BTW, don't trailer the thing with the motor on the mount. Take it off and lay the motor in the cockpit. I couldn't find a high thrust prop for the motor I had. It just about got hull speed at idle.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-29-2011

rcoll14450 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by emoney View Post
That 4stroke is going to be a LOT heavier than a 2stroke of the same hp.

Are you dead-set against a 2 stroker? I had a Yamaha 8-2stroke and it was probably the
absolute best motor I've owned in my 30 years of boat ownership. Somebody stole it, or
I'd still have it.
No not dead set against a two stroke but I need something my wife can trust so she will go with me.

I was thinking of a four stroke for fuel economy and quiet. The new ones I'm looking at are all four stroke.
Old 01-04-2012
Load Bearing Member

CarbonSink62 is on a distinguished road
I am also looking for a new engine this year. I've done some research.

Tohatsu, Mercury and Nissan are all the same engine if they are below 40hp. Why pay more for the name? (3 yr warantee either way)

the 4hp & 6hp 4stroke engines are made on the same chassis (if that is the term) so they weigh the same. No reason not to go for the 6hp. (only $200 more)

The 8 & 9.9 are the same chassis as well; so going from a 6hp (59lbs) to an 8hp (86lbs) is a big deal (27lbs + more money).

I've read posts from skippers on a Catalina 22 and a Catalina 25 that said the 6hp 4str moves their boat at hull speed (5-6kts) so it should easily move my C-18 (1500lbs disp).

The 'Belle of the Ball' to date is the Tohatsu "Sail Pro" 6hp 4stroke:

25" (not 20") long shaft

12VDC power out

High thrust (low speed) prop

3.1gal tank & gas line included

$1,549!!

Nissan makes the exact same package for $1,595;

Mercury has a 20" shaft, no 12VDC, standard prop, & no tank included (has 'integrated' 0.3gal tank onboard) $1,750

I've had good luck with my Merc engines before, but the Tohatsu will be my next unless I find a better deal.

I'm still researching Yamaha & Suzuki; do Johnson and Evinrude still make small outboards?

Four months until my bottom gets wet! (I might launch my boat too!)

Ken

Update Jan 10: The Merc engine does come with a fuel tank and gasline; still shorter, needs a better prop, no 12VDC output and more expensive.

1978 Bristol 29.9 #122

Testing a mother's love since 1962
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by CarbonSink62; 01-10-2012 at 03:45 PM. Reason: spelling; mental retardation; update
Old 01-04-2012

mstern is on a distinguished road
No one makes small two strokes anymore; if you want a new engine, you will be buying a four stroke. Unless you run into a dealer like the one I met at a boat show a couple of years ago who bought all of his distributor's stock of two strokes. He was betting that people would want to stick with two strokes. Turns out he was right. As of last year, he was selling them for over sticker price.

IMHO, a 6 hp four stroke on a C-22 is plenty of juice. I second (or third or fourth, whatever) the idea that you should buy the longest shaft engine you can. It is so worth the extra money. And make sure your outboard mount is rated to handle a four stroke. The four stroke mounting brackets are built to take more than just the extra weight of a four stroke; they are also designed to handle the extra torque generated by the fours. I know what you are thinking: can't a two stroke bracket that is rated to handle a 90 lb two stroke engine safely handle a four stroke engine that weighs only 60 lbs? Hell if I know.
Old 01-04-2012

rcoll14450 is on a distinguished road
Thanks all for all the great advice. It looks like I'm going to see what I can do with my old Suzuki 2 stroke. My motor fund was depleted when a deal on a truck came around. I checked out the old motor over the weekend and it is seized now or at least I couldn't turn the flywheel at all. Next step is to find a service manual and start tearing it down.
Old 01-05-2012
Misanthrope

TohatsuGuru is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonSink62 View Post
I am also looking for a new engine this year. I've done some research.

Tohatsu, Mercury and Nissan are all the same engine if they are below 40hp. Why pay more for the name? (3 yr warantee either way)

the 4hp & 6hp 4stroke engines are made on the same chassis (if that is the term) so they weigh the same. No reason not to go for the 6hp. (only $200 more)

The 8 & 9.9 are the same chassis as well; so going from a 6hp (59lbs) to an 8hp (86lbs) is a big deal (27lbs + more money).

I've read posts from skippers on a Catalina 22 and a Catalina 25 that said the 6hp 4str moves their boat at hull speed (5-6kts) so it should easily move my C-18 (1500lbs disp).

The 'Belle of the Ball' to date is the Tohatsu "Sail Pro" 6hp 4stroke:

25" (not 20") long shaft

12VDC power out

High thrust (low speed) prop

3.1gal tank & gas line included

$1,549!!

Nissan makes the exact same package for $1,595;

Mercury has a 20" shaft, no 12VDC, standard prop, & no tank included (has 'integrated' 0.3gal tank onboard) $1,750

I've had good luck with my Merc engines before, but the Tohatsu will be my next unless I find a better deal.

I'm still researching Yamaha & Suzuki; do Johnson and Evinrude still make small outboards?

Four months until my bottom gets wet! (I might launch my boat too!)

Ken
The Johnson label is dead. New Evinrudes 15 hp and below are now designed and built Tohatsu engines.
Old 01-06-2012

LakeSuperiorGeezer is on a distinguished road
Major $ on the Suzuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoll14450 View Post
Thanks all for all the great advice. It looks like I'm going to see what I can do with my old Suzuki 2 stroke. My motor fund was depleted when a deal on a truck came around. I checked out the old motor over the weekend and it is seized now or at least I couldn't turn the flywheel at all. Next step is to find a service manual and start tearing it down.
If you want to go with a 2 stroke, I would buy a used outboard from Craigslist or local newspaper trader free advertiser. Three hundred dollars should get you another. If outboard will not turn over, you are looking at new piston, maybe lower end work. If this was a salt water engine I would not even bother to disassemble. Another consideration is the 4 stroke uses 2 gallons while the 2 cycle uses 3 gallons for the same amount of energy.

Last edited by LakeSuperiorGeezer; 01-06-2012 at 01:42 PM.