Outboards for catalina 22 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 12-28-2011 Thread Starter

Outboards for catalina 22

I'm looking to replace my 6hp Suzuki outboard engine 88 model. It is not very reliable and I don't want to sink anymore money in it.

I just bought the boat last year and had it out a couple of time with motor problems both times, so I don't have a lot of experience with performance with it.

I'm looking at a 6hp Yamaha four stroke to replace it with. Does anyone have any experience with these engines and is a 6hp four stroke enough for this size boat? I thought about something larger but concerned about the weight both from trailering and mount weight.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 12-28-2011

I was happy with a 7.5 merc.

Why, why, why?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I Don't Know! I Don't Know!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 Old 12-28-2011
Remember you're a womble

Would think that would be plenty big enough. Once you go above 6hp then you're looking at quite a jump in weight as they are all twins I think.

Orange Crush
1974 C&C27 MkII

post #4 of 17 Old 12-28-2011

The sailing club I belong to uses 4hp Mercury outboards on their Catalina 22's. They're plenty powerful enough.

Curtis
post #5 of 17 Old 12-28-2011

I had 4hp on mine... Plenty of power

David

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
post #6 of 17 Old 12-29-2011

4Hp with high thrust prop as the standard prop is for a planing hull

1970 Cal 29 Sea Fever

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
post #7 of 17 Old 12-29-2011

outboard

rcoll,

I have the mariner 4 hp on my 21' and have plenty of power. That was as small as you could go and get reverse.

good luck

Dan
post #8 of 17 Old 12-29-2011

I sailed a C-22 on the Tybee Island Georgia coast for a few years. The tides there are fierce. We are talking sweep you away kind of fierce. The boat started out with a Chrysler 4 HP. This motor came with the boat so I rebuilt it and used it for the first year. 4 HP had no problem pushing the boat regardless of the tide and wind. The second year I bought a rebuilt Johnson Seahorse 6 HP. This motor had no issues either though hull speed was reached at just over 1/4 throttle in calm conditions. The 4 HP required 1/2 throttle to do the same. The 6 HP really shined when there was more than two people on board and the tides/wind were against me. With the 4 HP, 5 people and against the tide/wind, I had to go to 3/4 throttle + to maintain hull speed where as with the 6 HP she would do it at 1/2 throttle all day long. Fuel consumption was about the same for both because of the throttle difference. So, if you are on a lake or somewhere calm, save some money and weight and look at 4's. Coastal sailing- go with a 6.

Also, If I am not mistaken, Yamaha and Mercury outboards under 8HP are rebranded Tohatsu outboards. The price difference is amazing. And to answer your original question, I know of three Tohatsu/Mercury/Yamaha outboards that have been on the back of sailboats under ocean conditions for years with nothing more than normal maitenance. I prefer pre 1980's Johnson/Evinrude motors because I can fix them....

FWIW- I know of a few people who swear by putting 9.9's and above on the back of a C-22. I will keep my heated comments to myself but trust that a C-22 does NOT need anything bigger than a 6 unless you are using it as a tugboat.....

SV Salinity

Last edited by alanr77; 12-29-2011 at 08:40 AM.
post #9 of 17 Old 12-29-2011

That 4stroke is going to be a LOT heavier than a 2stroke of the same hp.

Are you dead-set against a 2 stroker? I had a Yamaha 8-2stroke and it was probably the
absolute best motor I've owned in my 30 years of boat ownership. Somebody stole it, or
I'd still have it.
post #10 of 17 Old 12-29-2011

Not knowing where you sail, I would only add the comment that if you are in a bay or ocean the long shaft outboard is what you want. 2hp or 40hp makes no difference if the shaft is not in the water.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.