Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2011
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road
Quick break...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
Lots of good suggestions so far. I would say that as a single hander, one of the best things you can practice is heaving-to. Many tasks can be executed from this position..even if it's just to take a break to eat a sandwich.
For a quick break, my boat is stable on a point between a close and a broad reach with the jib eased to the point of luffing on a close reach. With the wheel locked, the boat will head up, fall off, head up, fall off, without having to back the jib as in heaving-to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-31-2011

lapworth is on a distinguished road
Heaving-to is great for fishing!

I was trolling with some friends when we tangled up our lures in a crab pot. This can cost you big time, but instead I just heaved the boat slowly pulled in my lines saved my lures. Crew was amazed.
Old 12-31-2011

lajimo is on a distinguished road
I find that with inexperienced passengers (most of those who "crew" with me), having practiced sailing alone comes in very handy. With judicious use of the autopilot, I can more easily change tacks by myself than risk problems with crew that are reacting too slowly to avoid flogging jib lines, etc.
Old 12-31-2011

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
Interesting dockline discussion. Summer on a mooring, prior winters alongside a dock, this winter in a slip. In the past I think I brought my lines aboard on departure, now I leave them. The bow lines on pilings, the stern lines on the floating dock. On return I, (or crew) snag them with the boat hook. My method when bringing them aboard usually consisted of throwing one across the dock, then carrying the other as I stepped off.
Old 12-31-2011

GaryHLucas is on a distinguished road
The Wingnuts tragedy got me thinking about the kind of injuries that can occur on a sailboat. I wonder if the two people that died had been wearing say a bike helmet, would they maybe have survived? People often mention the destruction below decks in a knockdown, and being tossed like a rag doll. Would a bike helmet when single handing be much of an inconvenience, and maybe save your life? You're wearing a PFD and clipped on, then the boom slams you in the top of the head, does any of the rest matter?

Part of the reason I've been thinking about this is that we moved my dad into an assisted living facility. His friend was there, but was moved to a nursing facility after his second fall and a head injury. It really is tough to protect the elderly from falls. One fall changes EVERYTHING! Dad broke his hip about four years ago, and I spent a couple of long nights lying on top of him as he hallucinated from the pain killers. It is hard to get them to always use a cane or walker, a helmet would be nearly impossible.

Maybe we need a sailing helmet. A tilley hat with a hard shell and soft brim?

Gary H. Lucas
chef2sail likes this.
Old 12-31-2011
Huck

smallboatlover is on a distinguished road
no sorry i know i would never wear a sailing helment ive seen other people use helments mostly little kids but i know i would never
Old 12-31-2011

TheHisway is on a distinguished road
I sail solo. and when i do, i have one rule. no liquor only beer and wine when im solo.
just finished 934nm solo down icw. good times. no auto tiller, i dont mind for now.
Old 12-31-2011

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
I enjoy sailing single-handed and have generally single-handed more than not, but less since so since I got married. Probably the only change that I do when single-handed is that I used twings on the spin sheet on shorter passages, rather than putting the sheet in and out the snatch block with each jibe.

Like everyone said, its all about planning ahead. I typically have two reefs roved that I can pull in from the cockpit when single-hand (although I have never needed more than a first). I have specially cut jibs which are intended have very wide wind ranges. I use an inflatable harness and jack lines. I tend to use the autopilot more frequently and the spinnaker a little less. I use the winches closest to the wheel more, and the forward winches less. I center the traveller when short tacking into a tight channel rather than playing. I rig dock lines and bring them outboard to amidships before coming in. But otherwise single-handing not all that much different.

Jeff
chef2sail likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
Old 12-31-2011
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
Actually, there are special helmet type devices for patients prone to falling. They're been around for years, but few if any of the assisted living facilities utilize them. Nursing homes, however, do use them. Ironically, they would probably be fairly comfortable while sailing in rough weather.

Gary
Old 12-31-2011
Huck

smallboatlover is on a distinguished road
i were a pfd when i'm by my self when im with people i usally don't. I do have a pull cord pfd. But my boat is a 16' so it can tip. ive never had it tip because i don't want it to tip because it's so big so it would be hard to right. But i think this year i will be wering the pull cord pfd more instead of the regular pfd because i don't think the boat will tip exspecailly now that im comfortable with the boat.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.