SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

How many sail solo

11K views 92 replies 54 participants last post by  Chkm8 
#1 ·
Im just wondering how many sail single handed no one else on the boat just you? Also what do you do diffrent becasue your by yourself? im just wondering to see were i can improve my self by saiing solo.

#8 ·
I sail alone and as others have said, plan it all out. From leaving the dock to coming back in. I wear an auto inflate PFD. I sail on an inland lake in the city, heck I think it is at most 2-3 miles wide so not as much going on as some of the other folks. Just think it all through before you do it and you should be fine.

Bring fewer sandwiches.
And you also don't have to worry about anyone else drinking your beer.....

#3 ·
Nearly every time I sail. (Maybe I have bad breath, I dunno)

What do I do differently? If I'm alone, I definitely wear an auto-inflating PFD/harness combo, and clip on.

I pre-rig and pre-stage everything possible, from drinks & snacks, to tools so that I'm not leaving the helm unattended any longer than necessary.

I usually make a greater effort to let someone know where I'm going, when I expect to return, and when they should start worrying after me.

#4 ·
I sail alone more often than not. I'm so used to doing everything, it surprises me when I have crew. Primarily to me singlehanding is about forethought and caution. Don't cut anything too close. Always keep a lttle in hand, a little sea room, a little time, a little energy. Don't hurry or put yourself in a position to hurry. If you're unsure about an operation or approach, stop and figure it out first. If you don't like an approach to a dock or mooring, circle around and try again. Always leave yourself an out, a "plan B". keep your ground tackle ready to use. And so on.

#5 ·
I primarily sail on weekdays, a time when most of the go fast boats, jet skis and crazies are at work. I prepare everything before leaving the dock, or anchorage if I'm out on an overnighter. I also keep the cell phone and handheld VHF handy at the helm. I wear a harness anytime I leave the cockpit and clip on before climbing out of the cockpit.

It takes just a few seconds to retrieve a cold drink or sandwich from the fridge located in the cabin, and I also have a small cooler chest next to the helm seat. Unfortunately, you consume lots of fluids while sailing, especially in hot weather. This, obviously, is soon converted to urine. A plastic, sealable urinal comes in real handy and can be dumped in the toilet when you stop for the night to anchor, or return to the dock.
I also keep a chartbook and binoculars in the cockpit.

This winter, I intend to install a bilge-pump alarm, which will be in the form of a light that will turn on in the cockpit to tell me the pump is running. When you're sailing single handed you may not be aware there is water filling the cabin, especially at night. Something as simple as a pinhole in a thru-hull hose can sink a boat if it goes undetected for any length of time. A blown, engine freeze plug can fill the entire cabin with water in a matter of minutes. Of course you must routinely check the bilge pump and alarm to ensure it works.

For anchoring, I just installed an electric, anchor windlass that can be operated from the cockpit, or from the bow using a wired remote. Pulling or lowering the anchor is merely a matter of firing up the iron genny and pushing a button in the cockpit.

Roller furling for the jib is a must for singlehanded sailors. Sure, you can use a hank-on sail and operate it from the cockpit, but the sail will have to be hanked on the forestay and tied down or bagged prior to leaving the dock. Roller furling is a much safer option.

I always have the reefing lines in place on the main sail, and I have practiced single and double reefing on days when the winds are a bit brisk--just so I feel comfortable reefing the main while singlehanded sailing. I intend to install a single-line reefing system this coming spring, which will allow me to remain in the cockpit while reefing the main.

If the weather is a bit marginal, which is often the case in mid summer, I keep a rainsuit in the cockpit. If a sudden shower springs up, there's usually no time to do much more than put on the rain gear before it hits.

Good luck,

Gary :cool:

#21 ·
Quick break...

For a quick break, my boat is stable on a point between a close and a broad reach with the jib eased to the point of luffing on a close reach. With the wheel locked, the boat will head up, fall off, head up, fall off, without having to back the jib as in heaving-to.

#9 ·
I would think it depends on the size of your boat. I always single hand but on my boat it's really no different than with crew, then I just don't need to handle the jib.

I've got everything run back to the cockpit, except for the halyards, but I operate them by standing on the cabin berths.

As far as safety it's the same - except for MOB of course - that would be bad. I sail in 0 to 2 foot seas at worst and the water is temperate so unless I'm out of the cockpit there is no real danger of going overboard.

#10 ·
I pretty much always sail alone. After my first solo sail I almost prefer to sail solo. When I do have company on board I give them the option of being crew or passenger, and to be honest I hope they pick being passenger.
My biggest precaution sailing solo is wind speed and reefing sooner than later. I normally get a quick buoy report from a few locals and set a reef at the dock if need be...

#11 ·
I pretty much always sail alone. After my first solo sail I almost prefer to sail solo. When I do have company on board I give them the option of being crew or passenger, and to be honest I hope they pick being passenger.
My biggest precaution sailing solo is wind speed and reefing sooner than later. I normally get a quick buoy report from a few locals and set a reef at the dock if need be...
Addict makes a good point that I forgot- It's far easier to put a reef in at the dock, than it is to put one in while you're single handing. If the breeze gets light, you can always shake it out, but putting it in alone is harder.

#12 · (Edited)
I'll second what others have said.

Our boat is 50' long, so I value a clear path forward. It takes longer to get to the bow or even the mast. That's the primary difference. (Or rig isn't proportionally higher, so the sail forces are probably akin to a 45 foot boat.) When I need to hurry, there is nothing in the way that will trip me up.

When docking in winter, I sometime kick my heavy (warm) boots off, in favor of being quick on my feet as I approach the dock.

Keep the dock lines tied onto the boat's cleats; tie the other ends to the life line, right next to the gate (fore and aft). That way when you step/jump onto the dock, the lines are right there for you. If the lines could possibly reach the propeller, tie them to the lifeline with a knot. For thick lines, even a single half hitch will sometimes be enough.

-

I always tend to over-reef too, and end up going forward to shake out from 2nd reef to 1st reef. That's ok by me.

I also try to minimize my time out of the cockpit (true when other crew is below decks too), and sometimes will keep a reef in much longer than needed, so I don't have to go forward. It's not like I'm in a rush to sail that extra know faster. (If needing to get to a destination before dark, I'll turn the engine on.)

Regards,
Brad

Reactions: smurphny
#14 ·
I sail solo almost 100%. When someone else is aboard it makes sailing more difficult because I'm so accustomed to doing everything myself I wind up "making work" so the other(s) have something to do. It is always good, however, to have rope handlers in docking or someone to steer while I fiddle with something up at the bow. Sometimes.... no... OFTEN, you get stuck in the cockpit for many hours. Having a checklist of things to have on deck is important because when you cannot get away from the wheel, little things like having a cup of coffee or getting rid of the recycled coffee :D or not being able to dig around for your rain gear or that chart you need can become a problem.

#15 ·
I sail solo most of the time as well.

The big difference between having crew and not is that I try to anticipate things far more when I'm alone.

I always have my lines flaked and ready (or draped over the lifelines etc.) when approaching a dock. I have my boat hook extended and within easy reach. I always have my anchor unhitched and the rode flaked before entering an anchorage. When I have crew the anchor is generally prepped as we are in the channel. When alone, I always stop and check to ensure that all lines are running free and look for trip-hazards etc.

We always wear PFD's regardless of conditions, so wearing one when solo is not an issue. What's different is that, when alone I run jacklines and clip on when leaving the cockpit.

When I'm alone I tend to get a much earlier start in the morning. I usually don't have an itinerary so I might stay at an anchorage for a couple of days or a couple of hours, depending on my mood and conditions.

As much as I love having a crew on board, I think I secretly prefer to be alone on the boat. Maybe not so secretly.

#16 ·
I sail alone about 60% of the time I'm out. It's relaxing, good for your body and mind, and a hell of a lot of fun. I generally wear a PFD, and offshore, use jacklines. I don't have halyards run back to the pit so I spend time on the foredeck, but my wheel locks so I can maintain course within about 10 degrees.

About the best thing I've read on the subject is that the superior sailor uses his superior judgement to avoid using his superior skill.

#18 ·
I enjoy the challenge of sailing alone, but don't get to do much of it mostly because my wife is happy to come along... And I'm not inclined to mess with that!;):cool:

#20 ·
Alone

Like Faster my time alone is somewhat infrequent as my wife loves to be out as much as I. She works (nurse) every thord weekend giving me the option either to invite friends or go it alone.

I enjoy the challenege of going alone. As others have said it hones the skills by making you reakky preplan many of the maneuvers such as exit or comming into the slip, anchoring etc, sail reefing.

I am more conservative as far as sail area deployed when single handing and ofteen have furled in the job long before I would when with company. I usually plan my pee breaks etc to when the water is wide oipen and I can set the autopilot safely and head below.

It is far different however when I am not doing a daysail or a small overnighter.

I have done a few coastal passages solo along the NORTH EAST coast so it has taught me differing and more refined tactics such as sleeping in the cockpit with one eye open as well as alarms set. being alone for seven days inj blue water really challeneges your skills as well as gives you an entirely different perspective and trust of your skills as well as for your boat.

When I have done longer open ocean passages I keep my mantra...whats the safe thing to do in the forefront of my mind on every planned move out of the cockpit. Even in my moves up and down the stairway into the cabin. Cannot afford to get injured on a stupid move. Seems when you are alone on a longer voyage you enjoy some of the pleasures even more like a shower, shaving, reading etc. What do I miss on these. A good nights slepp.

Dave

Reactions: Faster
#23 ·
I find that with inexperienced passengers (most of those who "crew" with me), having practiced sailing alone comes in very handy. With judicious use of the autopilot, I can more easily change tacks by myself than risk problems with crew that are reacting too slowly to avoid flogging jib lines, etc.

#24 ·
Interesting dockline discussion. Summer on a mooring, prior winters alongside a dock, this winter in a slip. In the past I think I brought my lines aboard on departure, now I leave them. The bow lines on pilings, the stern lines on the floating dock. On return I, (or crew) snag them with the boat hook. My method when bringing them aboard usually consisted of throwing one across the dock, then carrying the other as I stepped off.

#25 ·
The Wingnuts tragedy got me thinking about the kind of injuries that can occur on a sailboat. I wonder if the two people that died had been wearing say a bike helmet, would they maybe have survived? People often mention the destruction below decks in a knockdown, and being tossed like a rag doll. Would a bike helmet when single handing be much of an inconvenience, and maybe save your life? You're wearing a PFD and clipped on, then the boom slams you in the top of the head, does any of the rest matter?

Part of the reason I've been thinking about this is that we moved my dad into an assisted living facility. His friend was there, but was moved to a nursing facility after his second fall and a head injury. It really is tough to protect the elderly from falls. One fall changes EVERYTHING! Dad broke his hip about four years ago, and I spent a couple of long nights lying on top of him as he hallucinated from the pain killers. It is hard to get them to always use a cane or walker, a helmet would be nearly impossible.

Maybe we need a sailing helmet. A tilley hat with a hard shell and soft brim?

Gary H. Lucas

#36 ·
The Wingnuts tragedy got me thinking about the kind of injuries that can occur on a sailboat. I wonder if the two people that died had been wearing say a bike helmet, would they maybe have survived?...
There are advantages and disadvantages to wearing a helmet:

Advantages:

• Will better protect your brain in the unlikely event something impacts your skull.
  • Will improve your solo sailing ability because no one will want to be seen with you alive (family members excepted).
  • Will save you thousands of dollars, if you are single, on money wasted on dating - dinners, trips, movies, gifts, etc!
  • Will vastly increase your odds of winning Dork of the Year award!
  • Will vastly increase your odds of being seen on America's Funniest Home Videos!
Disadvantages:

• May bake your skull on warm days.
  • Additional weight on head may increase odds you will begin dancing uncontrollably in a humorous fashion to any music with a beat.
  • May cause marina owner to evict you from marina based on "any other good cause" provision.

#28 ·
I enjoy sailing single-handed and have generally single-handed more than not, but less since so since I got married. Probably the only change that I do when single-handed is that I used twings on the spin sheet on shorter passages, rather than putting the sheet in and out the snatch block with each jibe.

Like everyone said, its all about planning ahead. I typically have two reefs roved that I can pull in from the cockpit when single-hand (although I have never needed more than a first). I have specially cut jibs which are intended have very wide wind ranges. I use an inflatable harness and jack lines. I tend to use the autopilot more frequently and the spinnaker a little less. I use the winches closest to the wheel more, and the forward winches less. I center the traveller when short tacking into a tight channel rather than playing. I rig dock lines and bring them outboard to amidships before coming in. But otherwise single-handing not all that much different.

Jeff

Reactions: chef2sail
#29 ·
Actually, there are special helmet type devices for patients prone to falling. They're been around for years, but few if any of the assisted living facilities utilize them. Nursing homes, however, do use them. Ironically, they would probably be fairly comfortable while sailing in rough weather.

Gary :cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.