Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
It's kind of funny how some people knock some safety gear like ladders, trailing a line, jack lines, life vest etc.

With me my boat is full of all kinds of safety gear. The way I look at it there is probably a small chance any of it will ever be used or save a life. But what it does do is let me know in my own mind I have done everything I can do to make the boat safe.

With my mind at ease knowing I've done everything I can safety wise, I can now concentrate on sailing the boat and carrying out requried task in a thoughtful and safe manner- and that alone may prevent me form getting into a life threatning situation in the first place. Relative to the cost of boat ownership, safety gear is cheap and will last a long time if cared for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-09-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telesailor
I have not yet purchased my boat, but as one whoe does many things solo (climbing, backcounty skiing, cycling) I look forward to my solo sailing adventures. My question is how is a solo sailor convered by insurance either along the coastal US or in the Bahamas or Caribbean?

Thanks!
I resort to "Don't ask, Don't tell".
Well, that might present a problem when push comes to shove, in the event you ever have to actually file a claim...

I can't imagine any American insurance company underwriting a singlehanded, open-ended float plan... Not without it being prohibitively expensive, at any rate...

It's become increasingly difficult for even Mom & Pop cruisers to obtain coverage for offshore passages, lots of policies are now requiring additional crew aboard for a trip such as the Caribbean 1500...

the last 2 boats I've run to the islands, the owner's policy has required a minimum of 3 aboard... On my last trip, I took the boat solo from CT to Hampton, and while the owner's insurance allowed it, the coverage was quite specific in stating that any "intended singlehanded passage of more than 18 hours" would disqualify any coverage in the event of an incident, and I was compelled to make a stop in Cape May (which I would have, in any event)...

Can't imagine why, but most insurance folks seem to be kind of sticklers for that whole "maintaining a proper watch" thingy... (grin)
Old 02-09-2012
Dutchman

EJO is on a distinguished road
TQA and JonE. the line is not a fallacy. One of our favorite things to do is "surf" behind our sail boat. There are few S/V going above 8 knts. Holding on a rope slows the boat down tremendously but it does pull us along. It is fun and tiresome but we do it over and over again as that Great Lakes water is a nice cool off in Mid Summer. I agree that you have to be careful approaching the stern but I have a ladder. I'm also in my late fifties and weigh a small 260 lbs and I never had a problem pulling my self to the boat and I can't do 10 push-ups in a row.
Believe me when you want to get back to the boat you'll manage. The hardest part will be getting back in the boat, therefore don't fall overboard but if you do your auto PFD and a rope will give you some assurance. As for foul-weather clothing I'll don it and climb on board naked.

I want to live and sail forever, so far so good[/SIGPIC]
Old 02-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Well, that might present a problem when push comes to shove, in the event you ever have to actually file a claim...

I can't imagine any American insurance company underwriting a singlehanded, open-ended float plan... Not without it being prohibitively expensive, at any rate...

It's become increasingly difficult for even Mom & Pop cruisers to obtain coverage for offshore passages, lots of policies are now requiring additional crew aboard for a trip such as the Caribbean 1500...

the last 2 boats I've run to the islands, the owner's policy has required a minimum of 3 aboard... On my last trip, I took the boat solo from CT to Hampton, and while the owner's insurance allowed it, the coverage was quite specific in stating that any "intended singlehanded passage of more than 18 hours" would disqualify any coverage in the event of an incident, and I was compelled to make a stop in Cape May (which I would have, in any event)...

Can't imagine why, but most insurance folks seem to be kind of sticklers for that whole "maintaining a proper watch" thingy... (grin)
I have a policy that will cover me 75 miles of any US coast. After that I am on my own- boat is paid for, so my loss only. Have read my policy and it says nothing of minimum crew. Like I say, don't ask don't tell. PO single handed boat around the world and I believe she had a policy from Lyods. Not really sure what it covered. BTW- she towed a 75 foot poly line that would float- in case she fell overboard.

In life I generally find if you ask permission, you are generally denied (in the US this is mostly due to the fact we have too many lawyers), so its best not to ask. Just do it until someone tells you to stop (my kids also believe in this tactic).

Last edited by casey1999; 02-09-2012 at 02:30 PM.
Old 02-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJO View Post
TQA and JonE. the line is not a fallacy. One of our favorite things to do is "surf" behind our sail boat. There are few S/V going above 8 knts. Holding on a rope slows the boat down tremendously but it does pull us along. It is fun and tiresome but we do it over and over again as that Great Lakes water is a nice cool off in Mid Summer. I agree that you have to be careful approaching the stern but I have a ladder. I'm also in my late fifties and weigh a small 260 lbs and I never had a problem pulling my self to the boat and I can't do 10 push-ups in a row.
Believe me when you want to get back to the boat you'll manage. The hardest part will be getting back in the boat, therefore don't fall overboard but if you do your auto PFD and a rope will give you some assurance. As for foul-weather clothing I'll don it and climb on board naked.
I did this in the Chesapeake bay off a friends sail boat. It was pretty cool, you can aim down and be pulled deeper into the water. I would like to do this in hawaii but little afraid in an off shore water situation as could loose someone. We also have quite a few sharks- don't want to troll for them.
Old 02-09-2012
S/V Wyndwitch - Morgan 24

oysterman23 is on a distinguished road
I solo most times as well. The skipjack rig often needs one reef in the main and I have learned to go ahead and do it on the slightest suspicion. Then it handles wonderfully. I am learning to anticipate, plan, handle the boat in a calm purposeful way. A lot has changed. Lazarettes now contain entirely different gear than at the beginning...as do the cubbies near the companionway. I really enjoy hearing from all the members who solo and I read constantly. Often part of my days sail will be trying something out that i need to learn or testing something someone else spoke of in a thread. I have been impressed with the generosity on this website and that reminds me that water people really are special. One thing I am looking forward to this year is going east into the broader sections of the Bay where the water and swells have some fetch. Later as time permits a few sails near and through the inlet at slack tide....
hoo haa!
Old 02-09-2012

Chkm8 is on a distinguished road
Great info ... trading large propeller for small propeller less tonnage and quiet sails and warmer water
Old 02-09-2012
CrazyStrause

crazystrause is on a distinguished road
mostly solo

I solo about 75% of the time and find it to be exactly the challenge I was looking for. I realized I like running my sheets across the cockpit so I can trim them better from the high side. Check out a pretty typical solo sail of mine:

Last edited by crazystrause; 02-09-2012 at 11:59 PM.
Old 02-10-2012

Chkm8 is on a distinguished road
Comfortable run in the cool weather ... Check that starboard lifeline .. you were the only one on the boat!
Old 02-10-2012

FoolishMuse is on a distinguished road
100% of the time, including active racing.
Take a look at my free book at: Singlehanded Tips Book where I discuss most of the issues brought up here. I'm always looking for new ideas.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.