Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jeff_H

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2011

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Are Morgan's cheaper than most

My friend just bought this boat:
1983 Morgan Nelson Marek 364 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Is it my imagination or are Morgans the price leaders, cheap, among used boats?

Am I right? Is their a good reason, less space, poor design or construction?
Or are they just good values?
I'm assuming condition is accounted for of course.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-31-2011
Caribbean Surveyor

canadianseamonkey is on a distinguished road
When I think cheap (well priced boats) Catalina always comes to mind, like this boat
1983 Catalina 36 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

and Hunter
1982 Hunter 36 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

There are many deals out there on older boats and the Morgans are no exception. I think many Morgans had hull to deck issues and many had poor construction, but as many would argue, the 1970s' are still floating and were built rock solid. My 1973 OI is one solid boat, but how much is it really worth at that age???? I'm not much of a Nelson Marek fan. I find that model is stuck between a racer and a cruiser with a deep draft.

If you do a search for 36' older boats, you'll be surprised at the prices, especially with this economy. Perhaps you'll find more older Morgans for sale because they actually were built tough.
Old 12-31-2011
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
I also have a 73, 33 Morgan Out Island, it's an incredible boat, lots of stowage space, more cabin space than most 41s, 6'-8" headroom, sails like a dream, fairly fast, and it points better than I first thought it would. It's very seaworthy, and I believe the previous owner resealed the cabin to hull seams. It's probably the last boat I'll own, and in a depressed market, you can find excellent prices on Morgans throughout the world. As for the build, I would rate it as good to excellent, which probably accounts for why there are so many older Morgans still out there sailing.

Good Luck,

Gary
Old 12-31-2011

SOVT is on a distinguished road
In September sailed from Gibraltar to Lansarote in a 198? Morgan 46. Like the above poster commented, solid boat-lots of room-well laid out sail/sheet plan. We ran in 20+ foot seas with 25-30kt winds for three days. Very comfortable ride.
Old 12-31-2011
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
In general, my understanding of Morgans is that they were well built boats, but were designed for the charter industry. Because many were in charter, many have been "ridden hard, and put away wet."
My other general impression is that they were known for being heavy (well built), and leaky (ports & hull deck joint).

I am not saying that either bias is true, I am merely confessing my bias.

Looking at the boat in question, it was: close to 30 years old, had a 6.5' draft (so I would be leery of doing the ICW), had a non-functioning CNG (hard to find for some) stove, offered for sale in in New Jersey, the price was reduced in November, and seems to have sold less than a month later. Not bad!

I think that your friend pounced on a well equipped boat!

Last edited by eherlihy; 12-31-2011 at 02:44 PM.
Old 12-31-2011

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Morgan built a variety of boats over its existence. The early boats (1960's) were very nice centerboard racer-cruisers which still make some of the best all around designed boats from that era. Morgan continued to build IOR era race oriented designs, but at the same time, they also built the Out Island series which were intended as cheaply built, value oriented charter boats. The boat in question was one of the last of Morgan's IOR era designs.

Anyone who knows my personal view of the negative impact of racing rules on yacht design knows that I am not a big fan of the impact of IOR rule. But in any era there are better designs that stand out, and the two Morgan built, Nelson Merek IOR era designs (and especially the 364) standout as particularly good designs from this period.

To me these are boats which demonstrate that broad generalities only go so far. The 364 boats tended to be better built, better engineered, and better sailing than I would expect out of either Morgan or an IOR design. This is especially true of the 'R' version.

Jeff
chef2sail likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Old 12-31-2011
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
MUCH more detail in Jeff's post, than in my previous post (can't give Jeff any more rep points though.)

It is obvious from looking at the listing in YW, however, that the boat in question was used for racing, and this may have scared some buyers away. Also, the 6'8" draft would have eliminated it from my list of boats.
Old 12-31-2011

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Morgan OI

I think Morgan OI definately have their niche. I am not speaking of the different models BUILT for racing, but the average OI. From what I have seen from my friends who owned them in varying sizes they are solidly built and are sea kind in rougher action. They are built like tanks.

They are good boats for what they were built for, mainly strong boats to handle the charter fleet. They make excellant liveaboard boats for some also.
They are very comfortable on the anchor and at the dock also.

As far as pointing ability or speed, we have never been passed by an Morgan OI of any size so I can"t say That they have excellant speed in light/ heavy air. My take on them is that they are not, and not every boat is built with its characteristics to be all things to all people.

We are currently looking for our last boat in the 40-47 foot range which someday will be our boat to sail away with down to the warm venues in the wintertime. I have changed my criteria from when I bought our C&C 35 years ago which is a true racer cruiser to a boat which is better designed to handle the trade winds as well as comfort for weeks on end. I dont want to by a boat which is not a good aspect sailing cruiser, but I also realize that I will have to trade off some of the speed/ pointing ability to get what leads my list of criterea now.

We actually looked at a 42 Passport and 45.5 Bristol today.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 01-01-2012

Artwerke is on a distinguished road
Morgans are kinda like sea going Suburbans, lots of room(in a sail boat this is a relative term) solid, tough, they can take some rough stuff, but they don't handle like a Ferrari, or a J boat. Their beauty is form follows function type, not elegant like a Hinkley Bermuda, or a Vintage Jaguar.
Old 01-01-2012

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
But in any era there are better designs that stand out, and the two Morgan built, Nelson Merek IOR era designs (and especially the 364) standout as particularly good designs from this period.

To me these are boats which demonstrate that broad generalities only go so far. The 364 boats tended to be better built, better engineered, and better sailing than I would expect out of either Morgan or an IOR design. This is especially true of the 'R' version.

Jeff
Thanks for the kind words. My friend and his wife intend on living aboard near Annapolis and he wanted a "fast" boat whatever that means.

Hopefully he bought well.