What certification do chartering companies require? - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2012
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Charter orgs may accept certifications as a substitute or supplement for experience.

However, once you get on the boat, you are likely to have a skipper-checkout and if you do not pass, you may have to pay additional for a captain or go home without a refund...
Old 01-12-2012

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxedUp View Post
+1

They all request sailing resumes for first time charterers but they don't verify your experience. Why do you think the "Damage Waiver" charge is mandatory?
When I first chartered in the BVI I asked the charter manager how he knew I was not BSing him. He replied that he could tell just by how I approached the boat.

In BC charters without tidal experience are often asked to take a skipper with them for a couple of days to sort out tides and currents. Many companies include a short sail as a part of their orientation. Take the boat off the dock, raise the sails, reef, bring it back to the dock.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-13-2012
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxedUp View Post
+1

They all request sailing resumes for first time charterers but they don't verify your experience. Why do you think the "Damage Waiver" charge is mandatory?
I don't know them all, but I do know one charter company on St Thomas makes the crew go out and show some basic sailing skills, everytime...
Old 01-13-2012
Master & Commander

BoxedUp is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarCry View Post
I don't know them all, but I do know one charter company on St Thomas makes the crew go out and show some basic sailing skills, everytime...
Maybe the charter companies with small fleets need to be more careful who they charter to so they don't lose revenue if a boat has to be out of service.
Old 01-13-2012
Freedom 39

Yes I believe some have determined that it is much more cost effective to spend some extra $'s screening peeps on the front end rather than fixing boats on the back end. The big boys with higher prices can have all the CCC's.
Old 01-13-2012
Owl

-OvO- is on a distinguished road
According to their literature, the Moorings supplies a "free skipper" for the first half-day. Presumably, this is the functional equivalent of a checkout ride.

FarCry - what is this hypothetical charter company's definition of "basic sailing skills", pray tell? I would guess the minimum would be: motor off the mooring ball, raise sails, head up, tack, tack, tack, head down, jibe, jibe, "okay, now go pick up the ball." But what about MOB, dock, anchor, reef, heave to? Other stuff?
Old 01-13-2012
Freedom 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by -OvO- View Post
According to their literature, the Moorings supplies a "free skipper" for the first half-day. Presumably, this is the functional equivalent of a checkout ride.

FarCry - what is this hypothetical charter company's definition of "basic sailing skills", pray tell? I would guess the minimum would be: motor off the mooring ball, raise sails, head up, tack, tack, tack, head down, jibe, jibe, "okay, now go pick up the ball." But what about MOB, dock, anchor, reef, heave to? Other stuff?
OvO- You've got the general idea. The company I'm referring to isn't hypothetical, it's CYOA. I will be there Sunday morning doing a briefing and sail check on a 48' cat, stop by if you are in the area.