Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2011

PsySailor is on a distinguished road
What certification do chartering companies require?

Hello,

I found this course NauticEd | Learn to sail with online sailing lessons. Your online sailing school.
that advertises that their certification is recognized internationally by chartering companies.

I'm specifically asking what are the "usual" certifications required by chartering companies if a person wanted to "rent" a boat and take it sailing for a week.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-31-2011
Chesapeake Sailor

GeorgeDog is on a distinguished road
Visa or Mastercard.

If you appear competent "they" will give you a boat. If not, well, I don't know. I chartered for years with no ownership experience.

Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1968 Hinckley Pilot 35, Audra.
(c) Joe McCary.
Old 12-31-2011
Superior Sailor

Squidd is on a distinguished road
Usually a Gold card.. but Platinum is better...
Old 12-31-2011

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Experience is usually more important than certification. It also depends on where you are sailing. Moorings has a number 2 levels of skippers. Level B allows you to charter up to 40' in Tortola, Abacos, Baja, Nice, Hyeres, Turkey, Corfu, Tonga, New Zealand and Australia. More difficult areas like the Seychelles require the Level A. In some countries you will also be required to have an International Certificate of Competence.

On the West Coast of Canada the charter companies want you to have experience in tidal waters.

I have never been asked for my logbook, but I have had to submit a resume. The companies can usually sense if you are BSing them.

Short answer - it varies.

BTW -Canadian Yachting Association is recognized world wide. As is ISPA, IYT, ASA, USSailing, etc.. There are plenty of CYA schools in Ontario. http://members.sailing.ca/index.php?...ovince=Ontario
Faster, FarCry and HDChopper like this.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)

Last edited by jackdale; 12-31-2011 at 05:57 PM.
Old 12-31-2011

CarolynShearlock is on a distinguished road
European countries usually want some sort of certification -- we've thought about chartering there and I did some prelim research, but never actually went through with it to see if our ownership experience (6+ years full time cruising) would satisfy them. BVI, Mexico and other places in the Caribbean have just required a resume and payment that doesn't bounce . . . as well as paying their insurance premium!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-07-2012
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road
As stated, it depends. In my area, recent experience on similar sized vessels to what one is trying to charter carries much more weight than any certificate or license. Previous boat ownership is a positive as well.
Old 01-12-2012
Master & Commander

BoxedUp is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidd View Post
Usually a Gold card.. but Platinum is better...
+1

They all request sailing resumes for first time charterers but they don't verify your experience. Why do you think the "Damage Waiver" charge is mandatory?
Old 01-12-2012

eddie nelson is on a distinguished road
If you want to learn to sail I would highly recommend doing a 5 or 6 day crash course. ASA offers a 101,103 and 104 class which is very informative if you are well read. Contact the American Sailing Association and get the Sailing Made Easy (101), Sailing Fundamentals (103) and Cruising Fundamentals (104) and study them. My wife and i did a 6 day 5 night crash course and loved it. We just got back from sailing for 5 days and loved it and learned a lot. We are getting more confident each time we go.

Any company that would let you got out with an online certificate and no formal training doesn't care about your safety or their boats.

I got ASA certified in October of 2011 and the company I just chartered with had me fill out a questionnaire of different situations and how you would handle or react to them. Then I had to take a captain out in the bay to show them that I could do it. If you cant answer a few basic sailing questions, then raise the main and tack and jibe a few times outside of the marina then you dont need to go by yourself. And that is more than reasonable.

On this past trip we brought our kids and hired a captain to teach the kids and to help hone our skills. And it really paid off having him because our last day we really needed his help. Which brings up another subject. My wife was more than happy hanging out and helping with a tack and jibe but didnt want to drive the boat and i didnt feel there was any need for her to because i like to do it anyway. Our last day there we were heading to the marina, had put the sails away, had the dock lines ready and where motoring the 200 yds to the entrance to the marina. As we were motoring we saw a lady had fallen in the water and started drowning. We motored as fast as we could 7knots and she went under for the second time. Long story short when we got to her she was face down and unresponsive. I gave the wheel to the captain and i jumped in the dingy and got her. My wife didnt have a clue as to what to do with the boat while i jumped ship. Im glad we had the captain with us because the boat would have ended up against the wall or ran aground but you do what you gotta do.

If you really want to sail dont do it half ass! Do it right, be safe and enjoy!
Old 01-12-2012

PsySailor is on a distinguished road
You can't tell a story like that and not explain whether the lady lived or died...

I'm Canadian and I've already put my fiancee and myself through sailing lessons last summer in a Canadian Yachting Association approved sailing course.
Old 01-12-2012

eddie nelson is on a distinguished road
She lived. Your on the right track then. Give them people your credit card and go sailing!lol