Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2012

davidpm is on a distinguished road
First Sail of the Year

What a gift. Forty two degrees bright sun, 8 knots wind with no chop at all.

Very few boats. Saw this fellow out with a couple buddies.
Attached Thumbnails
First Sail of the Year-p1010055-small-.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-01-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Unfortunately the camera got left behind, but we had a great sail over to Bowen Island yesterday, off and on sunshine, light reaching conditions.

After a great little NYE party with a dozen friends (6 boats) this morning we raced across Howe Sound thanks to a 30 knot outflow wind.. jib only, averaging 7+ knots. Around the corner it died, then we hooked into a nice light southerly wind for the trip across the bay to our marina.

Nice way to start the year.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 01-01-2012

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road
Nice, my hangover prevented any sailing today, hoping to get out tomorrow before going back to work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-01-2012

JedNeck is on a distinguished road
Snuck in another trip up the lake and back today...I planned to haul her today...but the wind was too good...sailed until dark...

The GF came with me and the dog...I "let" her do all the rigging...she wanted to learn.
Old 01-02-2012

redfishnc is on a distinguished road
Last sail of the year yesterday. Temps in the mid 60s and offshore breeze at 8-12k. I know winter is coming but not yet...

Wilmington, NC
Old 01-02-2012

NewportNewbie is on a distinguished road
Cool. I went out today as well. The wife and I were out for a few hours and the weather was great. 70 degrees and good wind. No chop. Calm water.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-02-2012

Dog Ship is on a distinguished road
The admiral and I were out yesterday. It was our sailing clubs 43rd Annual Rum Race.
It was blowing about 15-20 knots. Caught a little bit of sun around the end of the day, 7 deg. c.
If it doesn't rain we are going out today too.
Old 01-09-2012

ccriders is on a distinguished road
Last Wednesday I decided to shake the cobwebs out and take CC Rider up to Rockport (the nearest DIY yard) for a bottom job. The weather was very nice, upper 70s breeze SSE at about 10 kts, eventually dying out about 5 kts from the marine yard so ended up motoring the last bit. Hated to motor but the wind was nil and I had to get there by 5 pm or loose my haulout time. Most of it was a very pleasant sail.
The haulout the next morning was without drama but I was amazed how many barnacles I had grown in the two and a half years since the last time. Started sanding Thursday after lunch and worked until sundown. Friday I was in pain and I guess one of the yard workers could tell it and came over and said, "Let me get that for you" and with his big deal disc sander did more work in 30 minutes that I did in a day. Was that nice or what? I couldn't even hold his sander up to the hull at that point. I guess that at 68 and with a torn ligament in my right wrist, I will have to pay to have the next bottom job done by the yard.
Friday afternoon and evening the first coats of paint went on. Saturday morning the stands were moved and the last painting completed and boat launched at 4:00pm.
Now the return trip was as much fun as the trip up. Had to wait for the fog to clear a bit before starting out. There was no wind, so motored along at about 5 kts for about 30 minutes and then came upon a push boat with two barges in tandem straddling the ICW. It looked like I could sneak by on the east side so I slowed to my lowest speed and inched my way around his barge's port bow. I guess when he went aground he pushed up a mound of mud that caught me in what otherwise would have been 6 feet of water. About that time a fishing boat came by, waved him down and asked for a tow. A bright faced, red headed boy (young man) readily voluntered and took just a few minutes to get me free. As I was thanking him for pulling me off I commented my amazement that the barge was straddling the entire channel and was not responding to radio calls. My young hero responded that they too had gone aground earlier in the same spot and eventually discovered that they could get thru on the west side of the channel.
About an hour later began to detect a little breeze, then by the time I turned west into the CC Ship channel I had about 10 kts SSE for a broad reach all the way home. About the time I was along the old naval station piers I saw a beautiful sail boat enter the channel and raise his sails. Eventuall I caught up with him and could see that he was a Valiant, probably a 37. So, for about three hours I got to watch him from about every point of sail and can now boast about beating a Valiant 37 with my little Pearson 28. I guess the wind was just strong enough for me to go about 70% of my hull speed and for him to go about 40% of his. But what a beautiful sight he was broad reaching along at about 5 kts in a 10 kt breeze. Say what you want about modern designs vs "old shoes", The Valiant will steal your heart.
First sail of the year!
John

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.