Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By travlineasy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2012

sawingknots is on a distinguished road
instrument condensation

i have a older depthfinder that is unreadable most of the time because of mosture inside the readout lens,i suspected that maybe there was a leakage and rain was somehow getting inside but i instalded another unit a couple of days ago for a backup[a low priced humminbird]the next morning it also had some condensation in it also,i suppose that warmer cabin/cold outside is the cause,is there any practical way to prevent this?other than filling with compass liquid,yeah i know not practical!does anyone else have this problem?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-02-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
If you can open the unit up you may find space for those little desiccant packs (used in packing and shipping certain items - looks like a large packet of salt)

They would need replenishing periodically but they might help. The internal warmth of the devices when powered up may well make the condensation worse, esp this time of year.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 01-02-2012

its not a really big issue right now because i know the local waters quite well but i am somewhat concerned about the longterm effects on the instruments,i think your right about the time of year
Old 01-02-2012
72 C&C Corvette

CorvetteGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
If you can open the unit up you may find space for those little desiccant packs (used in packing and shipping certain items - looks like a large packet of salt)

They would need replenishing periodically but they might help. The internal warmth of the devices when powered up may well make the condensation worse, esp this time of year.
Do Not eat these packets of salt but sounds like it would work, silica i believe it is,, it ablourbs small amounts of moisture, like rice in the salt shaker trick.
Old 01-02-2012

i'm afraid if i open it up i'll break some seals and make the problem worse,i did notice that what looks like a small o ring is missing from behind one of the adjustment knobs,i'll tentatively try to remove the knobs and replace those
Old 01-02-2012

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road
Had the same problem on two of my ST50 instruments last year. Raymarine tech support recommended turning up the brightness on the instruments, saying it might burn off the condensation (it didn't).

The depth died about two months later and the wind speed was starting to go. I ended up upgrading over the winter. YMMV.

ďIf a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 01-02-2012

yeah thats what i'm expecting too,thats why i added the little hummin bird,i brought the old finder reciever home,i'm hoping my dry warm low humidy house will eventually dry it out,thanks everyone
Old 01-02-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
sawingknots,

Is the Hummingbird depth finder you purchased an old flasher, or is it a new LCD readout? I've been using their products for many, many years and never had one fog. There is NO decadent package inside, and there is no compartment for one to be placed.

If it is a new unit, I would contact Hummingbird's customer service immediately and have the unit replaced. The newest depth LCD depth finders are all submersible to one atmosphere (33-feet of saltwater) and completely sealed. The same holds true with Lowrance depth finders and combination units such as their GPS-Plotter/Depth Finders.

Good Luck,

Gary
wingNwing likes this.