Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2012

RichH will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrscoe View Post
Rich, Good information and points.

I did spoke with a local sailmaker but they were almost twice the cost of North Sails and others. They quoted 7.5oz Durcon.

I am sure I will increase my sail inventory but right now I have a long list of add ons and upgrades that I need implement on the sailboat before this coming Spring. (I need to deal with the removal of 10 coats of bottom paint, upgrading the chart plotter and provide a network, replacing the running rigging (just completed), add new dodger, new mainsail, etc...)
So I was thinking of replacing the main that is able to perform somewhat in all weather and knowing it may not sail well under all conditions. Fall & Spring has fairly good wind from 5k to 35k but it is doldrums in the summer along with high temperatures. Even too hot to sail at times.
Most times you really dont need 'new' sails, especially if youre not a top-competitor in a fleet. Usually with a woven 'quality' dacron mainsail, all thats needed is a minor length adjustment of the 3 strand boltrope (inside the sleeve at the sail luff) to bring an 'old' sail back to reasonable or better shape. Sailmakers usually avoid such 'adjustment' as they'd sell fewer 'new' sails if everyone regularly readjusted their 'boltropes'.
Here's some info on how check out if a boltrope needs 'adjustment' or 'easing': How to properly RAISE a woven dacron mainsail - SailboatOwners.com

;-)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-03-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Twice the cost of North? Wow, is that a boutique loft where they serve caviar and vintage champagne while you have your sails cleaned and pressed? :-)

It might be worthwhile to drop in and ask them outright. "I'd sure like to do business locally, but you guys are twice the price of NORTH and they aren't exactly cheap. Is there something I'm not seeing here?"
blt2ski and chef2sail like this.
Old 01-04-2012

patrscoe is on a distinguished road
North was $1,710 and the Deltaville sailmaker was $2,700. Almost twice.
I provided a detailed scope of the sail to everyone. (two full top battens and two lower standard battens, two reefs, cunningham cringle, etc...)
National Sails Supply was $1,565 and Marui was $1,700.
Also I have feelers out for a used main.

Our current sail has been recut too many times. It is 18" shorter on the luff and 10" shorter on the foot. When I purchased her this Fall, I did layout the sails but never measured them.

S2 11.0A 36'
Kinsale, Va
Tanzer 16'
Moseley, Va
Old 01-04-2012
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road
Have you checked the website for Bacon's Sails in Annapolis - they seem to have a good inventory of used sails...http://baconsails.com/... 24 mainsails for an S2 11.0A from $195 to $2,375....

Last edited by jameswilson29; 01-04-2012 at 09:22 AM.
Old 01-04-2012
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrscoe View Post
North was $1,710 and the Deltaville sailmaker was $2,700. Almost twice.
What were the specs on the north sail? What were they on the "other" sail?
Also, what sailmaker did you get the 2700 quote from?
One other thing, 1710*2 = $3420. Not $2700.

What you have is roughly 63% difference in price. Not an additional 100%. To be quite honest, $1700 is a pretty cheap mainsail for a 33 footer. I'd expect it to come in closer to 2300-2500. Heck my racing main for my 25 footer came in at $2200.

All that is moot anyway. If you want a great sail and you're in Deltaville, just call Jerry Latell at Ullman.

Jerry Latell
Ullman Sails Virginia
jerry@latellsails.com
804-776-6151 loft
804-436-6644 cell
PalmettoSailor likes this.
Old 01-04-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
We bought a loose footed main with full battens from Quantum last year. 7.5 High Modulous Performance. Quality was excellant. Stitching exceptional, Headboard reenforced with webbing. Over the top adjustment.

Quantums customer service was also very exceptional. Not all sails are made, stitched equally. One look at the batten pockets on mine, their construction and how the battens are kept in can tell you why our sailk was about 300 dollars more than a national warehouse or rolly tasker sail. Its the liitle things which count. Customer service is important also. They measured it and came down put it on and fitted it also. made in South Africa.

Call Chad Hutchings at Quatum sails in Annapolis before you buy anwhere else

dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 01-04-2012

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
I second the nod for Jerry Latell/Ullman Deltaville. I bought a new main and genny from him a couple of years ago and he came in a bit higher than off the shelf sails and a lot lower than the Annapolis lofts.
Old 01-10-2012

patrscoe is on a distinguished road
I placed an order for a custom mainsail at Bacon Sails. They were not the cheapest but was very responsiveness to my questions and appear knowledgable, hopefully that will result in a good custom sail. I tried looking for a used sail with exact dimensions as my original rig was modified and the desired design that I wanted but once you add in the required alternations, it was not worth the cost.
I went with a custom 2+2 powerhead offshore main, loose foot, 2 reefs, cunningham cringle and a slightly larger leech. My original main will be used as a emergency backup main and use in strong winds as this main is about 16% smaller (due to recutting) then my new custom main and has three reefs.

One project down, 14 to go...
jameswilson29 likes this.

S2 11.0A 36'
Kinsale, Va
Tanzer 16'
Moseley, Va
Old 01-10-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
For very little $$$$ you could add a 3rd set of reefs to the sail you are getting, then not have to worry about changing the main's in heavy winds to get the 3rd reef! For my 30' boat that would be about 150-200 from the get go, probably on par for you, or make sure the 2nd reef is equal to a 3rd, and 1st is about 1.5. IE 2 DEEP reefs.

marty