Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2012

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
See what you started Shawn

Dave
Wholly Crap Batman!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-05-2012

RichH will become famous soon enough
Until the City of Baltimore severely upgrades the Back Creek Sewage Treatment Plant to modern standards and the City of (and county of) Baltimore separates storm water from sewage the Northern Chesapeake will continue to be an 'open sewer' for a very long time into the future ... a potentially extremely financially costly project that isnt going to happen because of ... 'sovereign immunity'. To remedy, ALL the sewers in Baltimore would have to be dug up and a parallel & separate storm water & separate sewer system would have to be installed. Aint gonna happen!
Old 01-05-2012
AEOLUS II

WouldaShoulda is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
I really don't understand the obsession with perfectly manicured lawns. Who gets off on creating a perfectly uniform patch of green? Why is that so exciting? I never fertilize or even water my lawn. I "cut it high, and leave it lie". I have .56 acres and it's always lush and green, except for the heavily shaded areas under my trees.

Vegetable gardening, growing some roses or other specialty plants, I guess I can understand, but that uses less fertilizer than covering an entire lawn. Are homeowners really the problem, or is it farms using fertilizer on their crops?
1) I don't get it either but I don't need lawn-cops!!

2) It's the Chicken Poop!!
Old 01-05-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
I really don't understand the obsession with perfectly manicured lawns. Who gets off on creating a perfectly uniform patch of green? Why is that so exciting? I never fertilize or even water my lawn. I "cut it high, and leave it lie". I have .56 acres and it's always lush and green, except for the heavily shaded areas under my trees.

Vegetable gardening, growing some roses or other specialty plants, I guess I can understand, but that uses less fertilizer than covering an entire lawn. Are homeowners really the problem, or is it farms using fertilizer on their crops?
I with you on the lawn issue. I lived in a waterfront house directly on the bay in Annapolis and never used fertilizer and planted trees and vegitation on the entire lot to help with erosion and storm water run off. Parents live in Baltimore and never use any fertilizer on their 5 acres of lawn (probably could not afford it either). In the urban areas around the bay (Baltimore, Washington, Annapolis) I think lawn fertilizer is a big contributor especially in the summer when people put the stuff on and then a big thunder storm washes it into the storm sewer. Areas like eastern shore and PA I would think farm run off would be a big issue- but the Chicken poop problem was at least addressed by stricter regs about 15 years ago when the Pfiesteria
Pfiesteria - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
problem surfaced.
Old 01-05-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
An increase in any population, whether zebra muscles, plant life or humans, they change the current ecosystem. It's happened naturally throughout time, with or without human intervention.

You can't set the standard to have zero impact. For goodness sakes, all our sailing grounds were covered in ice at one time. Imagine if humans existed at the time and tried to maintain those conditions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 01-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
An increase in any population, whether zebra muscles, plant life or humans, they change the current ecosystem. It's happened naturally throughout time, with or without human intervention.

You can't set the standard to have zero impact. For goodness sakes, all our sailing grounds were covered in ice at one time. Imagine if humans existed at the time and tried to maintain those conditions.
Agree. The Cheasapeake Bay Foundation was (at least a few years back) trying to get the bay water qualitly back to a 1950's level. Back then the bay was full of crabs, oysters, and underwater grasses. Today it is relatively barren and getting worse. I remember as early as the mid 1980's the city dock (ego alley) was full of working oyster boats during the winter- added a nice touch. Those are gone now as well as the oyster, and the blue crab will be next.
Old 01-05-2012
AEOLUS II

WouldaShoulda is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post

So long as the Polar Bears are OK!!

Every time a Black Bear is spotted nearby everybody freaks out though.

Wildlife is OK until it starts eating your kids!!
Old 01-05-2012

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
Back then the bay was full of crabs, oysters, and underwater grasses. Today it is relatively barren and getting worse. I remember as early as the mid 1980's the city dock (ego alley) was full of working oyster boats during the winter- added a nice touch. Those are gone now as well as the oyster, and the blue crab will be next.
this has less to do with pollution than simply overfishing and taking the prime breed stock...matters not whether it is crab/menhaden/stripers/etc.....

You can not allow year round fishing, destruction of the breeding grounds (dragging for crabs), etc and not expect systemic declines. Been that way since at least the early 80's....no one is willing to live by what is best for the catch, such that you have a catch in the years following..as with pollution - a bunch of talk, even more studies, gov't know nothings involved, millions spent, finger pointing, etc.

It is US...sadly in this case, as much of the catch of the Bay is exported? the US is we are feeding the rest of the world, with no end in sight

Kind of like eating your seed corn or potatoes and having nothing to plant.
chef2sail likes this.
Old 01-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd3pc View Post
this has less to do with pollution than simply overfishing and taking the prime breed stock...matters not whether it is crab/menhaden/stripers/etc.....

You can not allow year round fishing, destruction of the breeding grounds (dragging for crabs), etc and not expect systemic declines. Been that way since at least the early 80's....no one is willing to live by what is best for the catch, such that you have a catch in the years following..as with pollution - a bunch of talk, even more studies, gov't know nothings involved, millions spent, finger pointing, etc.

It is US...sadly in this case, as much of the catch of the Bay is exported? the US is we are feeding the rest of the world, with no end in sight

Kind of like eating your seed corn or potatoes and having nothing to plant.
Over fishing is part of the problem, but another is loss of habitat (submerged grasses) due to sediment, polution and nutrient run-off.