Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2012

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Post Good news for the Chesapeake

We'll see...

Clean water, air rules create jobs, report argues - baltimoresun.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-03-2012

souljour2000 is on a distinguished road
Nah... dirty stuff creates jobs....eventually....thirty...even forty years later it's creating green jobs...see how it works... In all seriousness..we are getting closer to finding a balance...between greed and green...or greed and a sustainable planet....but personally i know I am not doing enuff..,but I grew up near the Chesapeake...and played on her shores...and in her waters...and I am glad to hear something positive come out of Delmarva regarding her...though I ain't been back there in decades...

Last edited by souljour2000; 01-03-2012 at 07:34 PM.
Old 01-03-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
What a stupid argument in that article. Environmental regulations create jobs because of the bloated bureaucracy necessary to oversee them. Where does the money come from to pay for those jobs?

Glad to hear there will be an improvement to water quality in the Chessy, but I'm sure there is a more sustainable way. This economic policy is no more sustainable than the policies that allowed the pollution itself.

Sorry. Done steaming.
jimrafford likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 01-03-2012

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
The one constant, the one thing we can depend on and agree upon...

... is that that neither side has a vested interest in telling the truth. It's a shame.
chef2sail and BubbleheadMd like this.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Old 01-03-2012

HeartsContent is on a distinguished road
Green = wealth transfer

If you want clean oceans, and clean earth, we sure as hell aren't looking to the corrupt Democrat and Republican parties. They have all been bribed.

Here's the real catch, who's willing to make the sacrifice in jobs to shutdown a polluter? They are not likely to spend the money to clean up their operation, they will just take the jobs to a town that doesn't care.

For those in Florida, are you willing to forgo a beautiful, well fertilized lawn and landscape with local vegetation that does not require fertilizer to keep it alive? This is why the water in Clearwater, Florida is not clean and is nasty algae filled green instead.

Sorry, the green thing really irritates me as it has nothing to do with cleaning this planet up.
Old 01-04-2012

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
Will Baker will tell what ever lie, or negotiate away a solution - just to keep his gold mine producing...

Just ask him how much those showcase offices built over the water on the chesapeake cost, and just how "green" all those touches are now. He had EPA on the ropes and since if he settled, and a solution was found...there would be no need for CBF....he capitulated and kicked the clean up can down the road.

230,000 jobs. Huh? Just how....where DOES he get those numbers. And just who is going to pay for all the sewage treatment plants to be fixed....no one has yet, and Anne Arundel and Baltimore continue to dump raw sewage every day...then there are the landsocked cities in Western MD that still just dump the sewage in to the nearest creek....

Green, means more money spent on the cause - not more money spent on the solution. CBF has been at this for almost 40 years. and NOTHING substantial done. Except pay Baker and his friends an outrageous salary and travel expenses.
Old 01-04-2012
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
I believe that the clean-up would create jobs. How many, is impossible to say with much accuracy, but who would pay for it?

We are. Taxpayers. Customers.

We'll pay more in taxes as local and state gov't's ramp up taxes to pay for infrastructure improvements and clean-ups.

We'll pay more for the cost of goods as farmers and other industries pass on the greater costs of being clean to their customers.

So the question is, do you want the Bay to be clean? Are you willing to pay for it, or are you satisfied with 1' of visibility, vibrio bacteria and millions of gallons of sewage and chicken crap in the water?

State and local governments are broke and don't have the funds to properly maintain roads, let alone clean up their act. Businesses are not about to take a hit on their profit margin out of altrusim and "good stewardship", have no doubt, they'll pass it on to you.

I'm willing to pay more in fuel taxes for better roads, and I'm willing to pay more in other taxes to clean up the Bay...as long as those costs yield tangible results.
PalmettoSailor likes this.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 01-04-2012

souljour2000 is on a distinguished road
Clean air and clean water have to happen!....We got to stop crapping in our own bed....air pollution is even worse...we each drink about a a gallon a day but we breathe around 4000 gallons of air...we are each filters for the air in this skinny membrane of an atmosphere that surrounds our globe. Why should we and our families lungs be arsenic and mercury filters for the power companies who dont want to clean up their waste byproduct because it affects profit margins. Why? Because as a people we are uninformed and apathetic and deserve what we get because we havent kicked out the greedy bastards on the take out of D.C. and K street and all the State Capitals. As long as we arent bringing in Indians and Mexicans and Hondurans, Britons,etc on work visas to do the green jobs related to cleaning up air and water...then lets clean this place up and restrict trade with the Chinese,et al until they start cleaning their filthy crap-infested nest that spills over into ours. Happy New Year everyone...now back to our regularly scheduled programming...

Last edited by souljour2000; 01-04-2012 at 08:47 AM.
Old 01-04-2012

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
..... but who would pay for it?
[/I]
Having lived in and paid taxes to the great state of MD, for most of my adult life...what has been paid in over the last 40 years by me and the others - and what the Bay shows for it...just doesn't add up.

And to ask the taxpayer to pay even more, with several of the states that shed in to the bay kicking in ZERO, and refusing to repair or replace their sewer systems...is just spending more good money after bad.

There has to be accountability and measurable gains, not this wishy washy accounting of the CBF and the EPA. With real fines to the cities and states. Not these "$10K credits" and explanations by the EPA and DEQs that since they can't pay the fines, we really don't enforce them, mentality.

When the perdues and tysons pony up and quit blaming "their suppliers" and when the states and the EPA quit blaming the recreational boater....

I may be OK for MORE of my tax dollar to be wasted on these Will Baker and EPA plans.
Old 01-04-2012
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Quote:
Originally Posted by kd3pc View Post
Having lived in and paid taxes to the great state of MD, for most of my adult life...what has been paid in over the last 40 years by me and the others - and what the Bay shows for it...just doesn't add up.

And to ask the taxpayer to pay even more, with several of the states that shed in to the bay kicking in ZERO, and refusing to repair or replace their sewer systems...is just spending more good money after bad.

There has to be accountability and measurable gains, not this wishy washy accounting of the CBF and the EPA. With real fines to the cities and states. Not these "$10K credits" and explanations by the EPA and DEQs that since they can't pay the fines, we really don't enforce them, mentality.

When the perdues and tysons pony up and quit blaming "their suppliers" and when the states and the EPA quit blaming the recreational boater....

I may be OK for MORE of my tax dollar to be wasted on these Will Baker and EPA plans.
I totally agree with this. I'm willing to pay, but I demand accountability and a yardstick for success or failure.
1973 Pearson 30 #255