Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2012
turretgunner

1833usmc is on a distinguished road
Thank you Gents for your valuable input! There's no substitute for experience! The deadline on the bidding from each of the four yards, is Feb. 1, 2012 so I can not disclose the names. The time line is 12 months from contracts to launch and the budget is set at $1 million (US).

One last question for you old salts: gaff rigging for "Magpie"?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-04-2012

Capt Len is on a distinguished road
Is there any other kind?
Old 01-05-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Sloop,

NO I do not have issues with folks getting bids, 3-5 is not an issue. BUT, I have seen some trying for literally 12-18! Somewhere down the road on has to wonder if they are not wasting my time. OR, they have not met the person they want to work with. Interviewing a contractor/builder if you will is not an issue, just geting a bid to get a bid, well that is another story. Some bids like this boat the OP wants, I could see 24-40 hours figuring out the costing of doing this boat. NO ONE wants to spend that kind of time/money/energy to bid a job, if there is not a chance to get the job with a dozen or so bidding. When somethings frankly being bid on by a contractor, are more personal, and there should be a good relationship between the contractor and owner.

landscapes I put in, frankly, their can be more to it that just cost and a plan. A roof as you describe. probably not as much potential for customizing per say from the contractor. But I could see wanting a builder I could work with every step of the way with a boat like the OP wants, or a home, addition, landscape sometimes as I do, things need to be changed on the fly as one finds in my case, rocks the size of VW beetles in the way, how do I work around or remove at $$$$$$$$. Both need to feel comfortable with whom they are working with. I've run into may folks, the goal is to screw with and make sure the contractor will not make money. If you run into one of them......not fun!

marty
Old 01-05-2012

xsboats is on a distinguished road
You will find Sea Island Boatworks , in Charleston, S.C. , to be one of the best shops that is still building traditional wooden boats. They have a really good photo gallery on their website that shows many of the fine boats that have been built by them, including the 96ft on deck schooner "Spirit of South Carolina" , launched in 2006.
Old 01-05-2012

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
There are many shops here in Maine that do restorative work on wooden boats. I would be surprised to find that none of them responded to your RFQ unless it was deemed not profitable enough at your price point.

There is a new yard in Belfast. I have heard that they hired some of the best craftsmen in Maine to work there.

Brooklyn and the Bluehill Peninsula has many wooden boat craftsmen that would be happy to take your project.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 01-05-2012

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1833usmc View Post
Thank you Gents for your valuable input! There's no substitute for experience! The deadline on the bidding from each of the four yards, is Feb. 1, 2012 so I can not disclose the names. The time line is 12 months from contracts to launch and the budget is set at $1 million (US).

One last question for you old salts: gaff rigging for "Magpie"?
Pleased to hear of your plans, I've always admired Magpie. I think Roger Taylor sketched a gaff rig for her when he reviewed Magpie in his Good Boats series of books. I don't remember which volume, though I think it was the first. Consult with the yard building her, they will have contacts with naval architects. I'd also prefer to add sail area, she's a motorboat with auxilliary sails. That will save fuel by motorsailing, and occasionally reach or run in a fresh breeze. Please keep us up to date, I'd love to see the finished vessel. You might also consider staysails between the masts.
Old 01-05-2012
turretgunner

Bidding closes Feb. 1. I will keep the thread updated.
Special thanks to Jeff-h.
Old 01-05-2012
turretgunner

Capt. Len. I looked up your float. If I was a prirate, and saw you coming... you would be swim'n back to shore! She'd be well worth the risk to put under my colors.

"By your leave Sir."
Old 01-05-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
Sloop,

NO I do not have issues with folks getting bids, 3-5 is not an issue. BUT, I have seen some trying for literally 12-18! Somewhere down the road on has to wonder if they are not wasting my time. OR, they have not met the person they want to work with. Interviewing a contractor/builder if you will is not an issue, just geting a bid to get a bid, well that is another story. Some bids like this boat the OP wants, I could see 24-40 hours figuring out the costing of doing this boat. NO ONE wants to spend that kind of time/money/energy to bid a job, if there is not a chance to get the job with a dozen or so bidding. When somethings frankly being bid on by a contractor, are more personal, and there should be a good relationship between the contractor and owner.

landscapes I put in, frankly, their can be more to it that just cost and a plan. A roof as you describe. probably not as much potential for customizing per say from the contractor. But I could see wanting a builder I could work with every step of the way with a boat like the OP wants, or a home, addition, landscape sometimes as I do, things need to be changed on the fly as one finds in my case, rocks the size of VW beetles in the way, how do I work around or remove at $$$$$$$$. Both need to feel comfortable with whom they are working with. I've run into may folks, the goal is to screw with and make sure the contractor will not make money. If you run into one of them......not fun!

marty
Thoroughly clarified - thanks. I have never heard of people getting a dozen or more bids on ANYTHING. I did learn something from one of my department heads though - she called in a contractor to design & bid on a deck. She then used his drawings to have someone else build it cheaper - very unethical I thought and I told her so.

I always thought the biggest pain in the a$$ for a contractor would be the running changes - "while your doing that...." with no adjustment of the contract price.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 01-05-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Sloop,

Been there done that before. Then again, not sure if the deck was a simple say 10x12, or was it a 3 level multi stair something or other that took xhrs to draw/cad out on a computer? if the latter, not too ethical at times. As that contractor that drew up the design, frankly built the cost of the design into the deck cost. At least I will!

Yes design changes on the fly can be a pain, especially if it entails more than original, or a cost was not included up front if such and such occurs....Other times, I have had clients that like the plan per say, but something does not feel right, they see two ways to do it, and do a let start, figure that part out on the way.

I'll be honest, if I was building the OP's boat, there would be places I personally would want to be hands on if you will with him, so that certain finishes, woods used, or other looks where they have to live with the what is done, not me needs to be figured out as the job goes on.

I've had some ask me, "what would you do" ie maybe a color of wall block or paver....I've already figured out somewhere that the colors I like, they said "oh yuck" or a pattern or something. What I like is not always what they like. My job is to make it look the best I can, best use for them, not me!

I have another job right now bid for a general, they need some new steps into the house, bid to replace what is their per say, but I wonder if anyone has asked if the want a slightly bigger platform getting into the slider? In this case, 1700 vs 2000 for the bigger deeper step that would be harder for folks to fall of of. Could be a good move on that persons part.

Marty