Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2012
was "wee happy"

way-happy is on a distinguished road
Starting a new thread to specifically talk about security issues on wifi while cruising, so we don't hijack this thread.

Security while using WiFi while cruising
Old 05-12-2013

Hawaiigirl is on a distinguished road
Re: Does anyone work on the Internet while sailing?

Thanks Undadar...wow...I have NO clue as to what I am going to do...We are going to go to the Bahamas and I have to at least be able to run my mail order business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-12-2013

jephotog is on a distinguished road

I'd like to some day but for now i just have to settle for reading about sailing on the internet while working.
Travelnik likes this.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-12-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

Interesting article but note guy's on a 62'Morris. Given needs of my job for present actually will plan cruises around wifi access for next year or so. Between that and ssb (with sailmail) for weather and personal communications can get by. For someone doing constant active business on web it remains problematic. Have real people for staff in a real office with real servor but also stuff in cloud. One way around it is to email staff tell them what to do and have them do it on web/phone etc.. Email easy and cheap.
Old 05-12-2013

i think the issue is whether you have the type of job that would let you telecommute in the first place. In my industry telecommuting is not an option. I would need to develop a new skill set to allow me to work from afar. Beyond that you have to look at the access to internet and scheduling your availability. One key to cruising cheap is to spend time swinging on a hook in remote locations. If you need to have internet to support your cruising you will need to spend more time in potentially expensive marinas, greatly increasing the cost of the cruising lifestyle.

Depending on your job needs and if you need to be readily accessible online long passages and your choices of destinations will be limited. Being an artist might work. I am a photographer and would love to sail around the world taking pictures while some studios represent and sail my work. What kind of art do you create? If you could create from your boat and have a following or studios that can sell your work without you being there often you could be good to untie and go. If you are a lifesize marble scuplture you might need a bigger sailboat.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-12-2013
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

When I was making a living as an outdoor writer the PC was, and still is an incredible tool. I purchased an inexpensive USB antenna, about $19 on sale, it provided me with up to 7 miles of access to various sites open to the public. I could check my email, file my feature stories and photos, easily meet deadlines, listen to music, watch movies, all of which were free of charge. I sincerely believe that if you are going to be a coastal cruiser, and can work from the comfort of your boat, this is the way to go.

The guy who was docked in front of me at Marathon City Marina was an electrical and mechanical engineering consultant. He had not been to the corporate office in more than 5 years. He had a similar WI-FI antenna mounted near the top of his mast. It provided him unsecured Internet access nearly every place he sailed.

I'm still self employed, only now the income comes from being a musician/entertainer. My musical equipment is not what it was a decade ago. It's much lighter, takes up far less space, easily transportable, and during my excursion down the ICW and back it was with me the entire time. Everything survived the harsh marine environment, several nasty storms, and the humidity of the Florida Keys. The PC and Internet access were vital to me during that 6-month voyage. It allowed me to learn new songs that local audiences requested. It allowed me to keep in touch with my family, maintain communication with clients in Maryland, and the ability to set up and schedule performances at dozens of locations, both at home and along the way.

Now, all of the sites I used were unsecured. That means these are places you want to do online banking, make transactions using credit/debit cards, etc... That would be financial suicide at the very least. But, for most everything else, unsecured sites are just fine.

Good Luck,

Gary
Old 05-12-2013
Old enough to know better

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
When I was making a living as an outdoor writer the PC was, and still is an incredible tool. I purchased an inexpensive USB antenna, about $19 on sale, it provided me with up to 7 miles of access to various sites open to the public. I could check my email, file my feature stories and photos, easily meet deadlines, listen to music, watch movies, all of which were free of charge. I sincerely believe that if you are going to be a coastal cruiser, and can work from the comfort of your boat, this is the way to go.

The guy who was docked in front of me at Marathon City Marina was an electrical and mechanical engineering consultant. He had not been to the corporate office in more than 5 years. He had a similar WI-FI antenna mounted near the top of his mast. It provided him unsecured Internet access nearly every place he sailed.

I'm still self employed, only now the income comes from being a musician/entertainer. My musical equipment is not what it was a decade ago. It's much lighter, takes up far less space, easily transportable, and during my excursion down the ICW and back it was with me the entire time. Everything survived the harsh marine environment, several nasty storms, and the humidity of the Florida Keys. The PC and Internet access were vital to me during that 6-month voyage. It allowed me to learn new songs that local audiences requested. It allowed me to keep in touch with my family, maintain communication with clients in Maryland, and the ability to set up and schedule performances at dozens of locations, both at home and along the way.

Now, all of the sites I used were unsecured. That means these are places you want to do online banking, make transactions using credit/debit cards, etc... That would be financial suicide at the very least. But, for most everything else, unsecured sites are just fine.

Good Luck,

Gary
Great that it worked out for you, but the time of unsecured wireless is coming to an end, unless it is being offered as a service. But most places are now figuring out that this "free service" can now become a profit source I am sure most will dry up unless there is a coffee shop nearby. Most of the time now cable companies offer "free" wireless routers now with there service. One of the main reasons they are doing this is that so many customers were not smart enough to follow the two page flyer that comes with the router to set up a secure connection. The cable companies were tired of folks "borrowing" bandwidth. So they provide the free router with is offered to make sure the connection is secured.

I will say that some local cable companies are doing a great job of offering free to subscribers wifi hotspots in lots of locations. Apparently they encourage the local business to offer it. But you have to be a cable subscriber to connect to it. Optimum is great in my area, but there cable service is not good so we switched.
Old 05-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
Great that it worked out for you, but the time of unsecured wireless is coming to an end, unless it is being offered as a service. But most places are now figuring out that this "free service" can now become a profit source I am sure most will dry up unless there is a coffee shop nearby.
Even then it is not free or open. As someone who has spent the last decade on the road, unfortunately not in a boat, I know about internet access. Every coffee shop and library and other free wifi will still have a code you need to get on. The number of wifi signals available from any locations has multiplied many times over the last few years, while the unsecured wifi signals have decreased.

If you can find a signal locally, you can swing by the coffee shop, buy a muffin and get the wifi code to use from the boat. I had a WIFI antenna about 4 years ago and it helped me pull in a few more signals but I think I might have been able to reach a few doors away, 7 miles is impressive. I guess if you could get all the signals for a 7 mile radius, you might have a 1000 wifi signals to find one un-secured signal.
Old 05-12-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

internet only while n port. i use banda ancha (3g) or i go to places with wifi and food.

while at sea i have better things to do than futz around messing online.

formosa 41, cruising tropics

Old 05-12-2013
Wind and pie move my boat.

kjango is on a distinguished road

I ran my surveying company for a couple years from the salon of my boat . Surveying calcs , bids , invoicing , ect. ect. Finally decided the biz was intrusive & got rid of it .

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.