Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2013

Greyhound37 is on a distinguished road
Re: Does anyone work on the Internet while sailing?

I had a KVH V3 system installed last winter. This is full internet and sat phone service. Offshore we had seamless internet and phone service. Not terribly expensive, $250 a month for the base plan. Anything you can do on your home computer you can do with this system. The hardware is available for $13,000. +/-, not installed, and you need AC power to run it so if you are a smaller boat like me add inverter and 2 batteries. Of course you will need to offset this weight gain with lots of carbon fiber bits ;-)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-13-2013

small antenna
Attached Thumbnails
Does anyone work on the Internet while sailing?-securedownload.jpg  
Old 05-13-2013

denverd0n is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jephotog View Post
The number of wifi signals available from any locations has multiplied many times over the last few years, while the unsecured wifi signals have decreased.
Exactly. The number of wifi signals that you will pick up has gone up dramatically in the last few years. To the point where you may see hundreds in some places, if you have a long-range system. But the number of those that are unsecured has gone down just as dramatically. Five years ago I would guess that at least half the signals I picked up were unsecured, maybe two thirds. Nowadays, if I find one unsecured signal among 30 then I consider that to be pretty good.
Old 05-13-2013
Banned

JeffreySiegel is on a distinguished road

It's all quite easy along the US east coast. We have Internet access every day and run our entire online business from the boat.

I'm literally underway right now (on the Potomac River) making this posting...
Old 05-13-2013

I expect Hawaii Girl will be out of cell range within one hour of leaving the dock. So all that wifi and iphone/ipad hardware is useless.
Old 05-13-2013
s/v Tiger Lily

dvuyxx is on a distinguished road

The availability has improved even since this thread started last year. If you are just cruising domestically and coastal, then you can just get a "my-fi" like a Verizon Jetpack and use that for multiple devices aboard wirelessly. You can pick a plan, like 6gb which is pretty hard to spend in a month.
Old 05-13-2013

Sounds like I am out of touch with current tech but as of last Tuesday you have zero cell coverage 8 miles off Cape Romain, Cape Lookout, Charleston, Hatteras...
Old 05-13-2013
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

I don't know if the number of free WI-FI sites is decreasing, or the number of WI-FI sites has increased disproportionally. In the 3,185 miles a traveled up and down the east coast I only had a couple instances where I couldn't find free, unsecured WI-FI. No passwords or codes needed with any of them. Now, there were a couple that wanted you to join for a nominal fee, $12 a year, or something like that, but most of the marina sites were unsecured, and nearly all of the municipal sites were unsecured. I suspect they will remain that way, but who knows, I could be wrong. Now, I did go four days without any cellular telephone connection while in the remote swamps of North Carolina and Virginia, but during that time I still had unsecured WI-FI so I was able to send an email to my loving spouse and tell her not to cash in on the life insurance policy.

Good Luck,

Gary
donjuanluis likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to travlineasy For This Useful Post:
donjuanluis (09-29-2013)
Old 05-13-2013
Banned

JeffreySiegel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhound37 View Post
Sounds like I am out of touch with current tech but as of last Tuesday you have zero cell coverage 8 miles off Cape Romain, Cape Lookout, Charleston, Hatteras...
I routinely maintain cell coverage offshore between Charleston and Beaufort. That's an overnight for us. Going through Frying Pan Shoals Slue, we're about 12 nm out and maybe a little further from land north of Frying Pan Shoals because the NC coast scallops away.

Here's the thing. When you lose cell coverage 8 miles out, did you have a 3G and 4G cellular amp with antenna?

We also maintain AT&T and Verizon accounts. I find that AT&T maintains much more signal offshore than Verizon. That might change in the future but it's been my experience this spring.

I'm now anchored at Mason Neck, 20 nm south of DC. I've got a screaming fast internet connection here.
Old 09-28-2013

donjuanluis is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to donjuanluis

Was web searching and found this thread, what about this service Satellite Internet For Boats | Satellite Internet Pros , can somebody give a credit on it? I'm planning to move to the sea, and start cruising around, but need internet to keep making my living...