SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Beauty and The Beast, What is Either To Sailnet Members?

3K views 10 replies 11 participants last post by  denverd0n 
#1 ·
Is it really 2003? Just how far have we come to understand the notion of BEAUTY? Are we really free to make our own choices or was that last choice we made, an ''emotional deposit'' for a friend or loved one?

Particularly where boats and the visual is concerned, I am curious to know, just exactly how SAILNET members arrive at making up their minds, what is beautiful and what is beastly?

Boating is beautiful. I have always thought that it is the diversity of choices and freedoms that makes boating very beautiful. It is colourful and yet can be drab and dull, vibrant and yet murky and overcast, always and forever changing. Then again, just like each owner, each boat, is different and unique. It keeps life interesting. Imagine if we were all the same!

Whether your preference is wood, plastic, aluminimum, concrete, steel or whatever, would it be civilised to eject someone because the value of ''Beauty'' has been determined to have been undermined? What is this beauty?

Do you sail or motor, are you left or right handed, are you black or white, rich or poor, the list is endless.

Please SAILNET MEMBERS take a look at my photo album. This is my Beauty and my Beast. It may not be what you see that is either beautiful or beastly. I am however certain, that with the acquaintances I have made over the last 13 years of life aboard our ARK, BEAUTY is not to be found, exclusively, on the outside, of either boats or people.

"Love thy neighbour as thy self". Is your neighbour BEAUTIFUL? Perhaps it''s the notion of our own sense of ''Beauty'', deep inside each and every one of us, that really is the BEAST?

SAILNET MEMBERS, Please share your thoughts, what is beauty?

http://aol.photobox.co.uk/public/detail.html?c_album=425352

Thanks to all for messages of support received in our campaign to protect our BEAUTIFUL way of life.

Regards,

NOAH

Vince And Marie Louise Shalom
''Noah''s Ark''
Houseboat Picton
Penarth Marina
Wales

See less See more
#9 ·
You know it's easy to dig up these oldies, but finding one totally unanswered and old? Priceless...
Here lemme give it a go at an answer (This one is for you Jim)....
Beauty:

Beast:

Sorry if I offended anyone... its just MHHO, anyway... and what do I know?

#10 · (Edited)
You know you have too much time on your hands when you start researching a nearly 10 year old thread on sailnut.
Turns out it was a bit interesting. The Welshman, the OP owned a house boat in a marina in Penarth, Wales that he and his family had lived on for 13 years. They were evicted from their marina and forced to live back on the hard (perish the thought). Sadly I can't find any photos of their house boat but some of the other posters comments about the appearance of the vessel "Noah's Ark" paint a less than stellar picture. Apparently his house boat was just that; a landsman's house built atop a boat hull and perhaps not the most attractive looking house either.
His post was an appeal, of sorts, couched in a thick Welsh yarn not unlike something that Tristan Jones might write. The only thing odd is that the owners name is Vince Shalom which sounds a lot more Jewish then Welsh. Hmm.

Here is a thread on ybw.com that illustrates this story, somewhat:
The Wales Noah's Ark Photo-Story - Yachting and Boating World Forums
Here is a copy of one of his letters of protestation:
UK Indymedia - Quay Marinas Ltd - "Meet Your Moral Responsibility Head On!

It is about time for someone to drag out that photo of the redneck house boat.

This sort of thing happens everywhere and this reminds me of the 'Floating Neutrinos' who had a house boat (of sorts) floating on the Hudson a few blocks away from where I sit. The mooring area they used until Sept. 1st 2001 was populated by a bunch of less than stellar vessels. It was cleared out shortly thereafter, dredged and used as a barge loading site for the remains of the WTC. The Neutrinos where forced to float off to Queens, or somewhere.
Here are some pics of their 'vessel' called "Town Hall".
Town Hall, an American Raft
"Son of Town Hall" is even more impressive: http://www.floatingneutrinos.com/son of town hall/Son of Town Hall.html

Beauty or the beast, indeed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.