Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2012
America, love it or leave

chrisncate is on a distinguished road
I know a guy who has a 33 offshore cat ketch, it seemed to be built well and fairly robust. I was impressed with the build quality, I remember that. They go for what you listed as your price range, might be worth a look. It was a fat little pig, but looked like a good seaworthy design to my novice eye. Big inside, with a huge stand up shower and head. Neat boat. Ugly on the outside imo (if that matters). Cockpit you could land a chopper in.. very large and a definite minus...

No rigging is a plus for the budget cruiser, those unstayed masts are prolly low maintenance...
the lock likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-06-2012

the lock is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisncate View Post
I know a guy who has a 33 offshore cat ketch, it seemed to be built well and fairly robust. I was impressed with the build quality, I remember that. They go for what you listed as your price range, might be worth a look. It was a fat little pig, but looked like a good seaworthy design to my novice eye. Big inside, with a huge stand up shower and head. Neat boat. Ugly on the outside imo (if that matters). Cockpit you could land a chopper in.. very large and a definite minus...

No rigging is a plus for the budget cruiser, those unstayed masts are prolly low maintenance...
you nailed it with the ugly remark, wondering how much that will factor in. wish your eye wasn't so novice
thanx
Old 01-06-2012

I guess it depends on what your boats looks mean to you. I could see the Offshore 33 growing on it's owner aesthetically, beauty is in the eye of the beholder after all..

The one I saw in person was dry and powdery, it was that horrible old boat grey/white. I bet a quick roll and tip would do wonders... It really was a pretty nice design imo, and I'd say well built.

Besides, you only start to get into the realm of really beautiful dream boat hull shapes when you decide to sacrifice beam and aft accommodations in an old boat, or you decide to drop larger coin on a newer boat anyway... you can't have it all you know..
Old 01-06-2012

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
My thought would be that, if you are shopping for a boat 20 years old or more, you would be wise to shop and compare the individual boat by their condition and history and not be as concerned about the manufacturer. Well built boats can go terribly wrong and and a mediocre vessel can have a great history of care and upgrades. Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 01-06-2012

Quote:
I guess it depends on what your boats looks mean to you. I could see the Offshore 33 growing on it's owner aesthetically, beauty is in the eye of the beholder after all..

The one I saw in person was dry and powdery, it was that horrible old boat grey/white. I bet a quick roll and tip would do wonders... It really was a pretty nice design imo, and I'd say well built.

Besides, you only start to get into the realm of really beautiful dream boat hull shapes when you decide to sacrifice beam and aft accommodations in an old boat, or you decide to drop larger coin on a newer boat anyway... you can't have it all you know..
imagine that after being aboard the ugly will change. freedom 33 was a boat i followed and thought i would go for years ago but was offset because of carbon fiber bluewater questions, but seen how much living space made it attractive. offshore 33 mast is aluminum so peaked my interest again. thanx
Old 01-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by the lock View Post
imagine that after being aboard the ugly will change. freedom 33 was a boat i followed and thought i would go for years ago but was offset because of carbon fiber bluewater questions, but seen how much living space made it attractive. offshore 33 mast is aluminum so peaked my interest again. thanx
Well, best of luck in your search - keep us posted on your progress
Old 01-06-2012
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
I think you need to clarify (for yourself not particularly for us) what you mean by go 'anywhere, everywhere'. If you want to have a really solid, bluewater boat with your budget I don't think you are looking in the 33 - 34' range unfortunately. Keep in mind that after purchase you will have to spend a lot on upgrades for bluewater - self-steering and ground tackle alone could be $5000 and that is just a start. I understand what you are saying about wanting space, but the people I have seen cruising on a really small budget have had boats like Vegas and Bristol 27s which are quite tiny from a comfort, point of view but solid.

if you redefine go anywhere, bluewater to mean you want to go the Caribbean or somthing like that, it becomes easier financially because you don't need the same equipment. Similarly with your weekly budget, it might be fine in some areas (hope you can fish and like to eat them) but a problem in some other areas - for example, government costs in some countries can be $500+.
Old 01-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post
I think you need to clarify (for yourself not particularly for us) what you mean by go 'anywhere, everywhere'. If you want to have a really solid, bluewater boat with your budget I don't think you are looking in the 33 - 34' range unfortunately. Keep in mind that after purchase you will have to spend a lot on upgrades for bluewater - self-steering and ground tackle alone could be $5000 and that is just a start. I understand what you are saying about wanting space, but the people I have seen cruising on a really small budget have had boats like Vegas and Bristol 27s which are quite tiny from a comfort, point of view but solid.

if you redefine go anywhere, bluewater to mean you want to go the Caribbean or somthing like that, it becomes easier financially because you don't need the same equipment. Similarly with your weekly budget, it might be fine in some areas (hope you can fish and like to eat them) but a problem in some other areas - for example, government costs in some countries can be $500+.

go anywhere. yup, think i'm leaning more and more on the rawson,
it's well equipped. and will stand up to any task. i hope. not one for paying govt costs here. i had enuff problems without givin those shlubs any money. cept maybe the bahamas cause that will probably be first stop.
thanx mister
Old 01-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post

You really do need to seriously downsize and lower expectations on roominess if you want to be a micro budget cruiser. Our overall budgetary goal (not the cost of the boat) is in line with the op's - with me accounting for cruising costs separately of course (boat upkeep/fees + costs of travel etc).

Luckily, we like seeing just how simple and basic we can go, and we aren't trying to bring a living room to the boat. Most folks seem to want all the stuff that costs time and money to maintain which is where you begin to fight the losing battle against "I need" vs "I want"...

86 the motor, and you gain a very large slice of the overall boat budget pie btw.. not as hardcore a decision in a smaller boat as you'd think, either..

Last edited by chrisncate; 01-06-2012 at 11:40 PM.
Old 01-06-2012

Quote:
You really do need to seriously downsize and lower expectations on roominess if you want to be a micro budget cruiser. Our overall budgetary goal (not the cost of the boat) is in line with the op's - with me accounting for cruising costs separately of course (boat upkeep/fees + costs of travel etc).

Luckily, we like seeing just how simple and basic we can go, and we aren't trying to bring a living room to the boat. Most folks seem to want all the stuff that costs time and money to maintain which is where you begin to fight the losing battle against "I need" vs "I want"...

I honestly believe that if more budget minded potential micro cruisers could just lay eyes personally on a boat (ahem, and I know a guy with a good example..) set up for cheap simple living, they'd be less closed off to the idea of a smaller boat that's actually a better boat all around for the thrifty blue water wannabe cruiser.

86 the motor, and you gain a very large slice of the overall boat budget pie btw.. not as hardcore a decision in a smaller boat as you'd think, either..

nice reply and like the idea of 86 the motor, big fan of the pardey's. gonna try and lose the clock and take it in stride. glad i put this post up, you guys are the best. thanx