Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Upei1, good point. However, all boats will swing differently to begin with. Factors include keel differences, topside windage and mass. It's not uncommon to find sailboats favoring the current while power boats are clocking into the wind.

So you have to manage each situation differently. Overall, I think the stability of an anchor sail would at least be more predictable. Of course, I will have to let you know if I ever install it.

Truth is, I'm usually a wus when it comes to crowded anchorages. I will choose a spot well out of the way to avoid being on edge all night long.
chef2sail likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Last edited by Minnewaska; 01-09-2012 at 06:11 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-09-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
I would use it only if your boat really swings and strains the anchor gear. Moving the boom slightly to on side usually is the easy fix for most boats.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 01-09-2012

HUGOSALT is on a distinguished road
To expand on post #9...
In a good breeze boat sails at anchor big time...riding sail goes up boat behaves just fine.
When breeze really pipes up, down comes riding sail, I remove as much windage up
forward (as windage forward of center of effort creates a lot of yawing on my fin keel boat) and as above move boom off center.
Also have attached line to anchor rode then pay out additional out 8-10 ft. and attach other end to jib winch and take a few turns.
Old 01-09-2012

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by upei1 View Post
quick question: What if you are in a tight mooring field, and you are the only one using the sail. Where I am moored, all the boats shift with the tide and the wind, some faster than others......being a newbie, I just had to ask!
Thanks!
I think we're talking about two different kinds of motion at anchor, happening at two different time scales. Yes, you should anchor more or less in the same fashion as your neighbors so that you will swing more or less the same with major shifts in wind and current (don't use twice as much scope as everybody else, certainly don't use a Bahamian moor or anchor fore-and-aft if nobody else is), but those shifts typically occur over intervals like tens of minutes or several hours.

The riding sail is not supposed to work on those time scales. Instead, it's supposed to address the short-time-scale motion of a boat that "sails" on the anchor. This occurs because of the relatively far forward center of windage of modern boats, compared to their underwater centers of lateral resistance. This tends to make an anchored boat's orientation unstable and cause the boat to sail around, but this happens over periods like a few seconds to a couple of minutes, even with a steady wind and current.

There's really no way to synchronize your boat's "sailing at anchor" with the other boat's at the marina because it's a fairly random process, in that the boats will very likely be "out of phase" with one another. If your boat is fully to the rightmost point in its arc, and my anchor rode has just become taut after being set, we'll be "out of phase" by a quarter or so of our swing arcs.

Definitely sounds like the best solution---both when you're alone, and when you're in a group---is for everybody to get their boats not to do this. Riding sails are pretty effective, so if everybody would use one, probably everybody would sleep better in crowded anchorages.
Old 01-09-2012

RichH will become famous soon enough
I used to use a riding sail but over the years found that anchoring or mooring to a 'bridle' better stops the 'sailing' at anchor/mooring.
The apparent 'secret' of using a bridle is to be sure the rode is from or very close to the bow at the waterline, the bridle is arranged to keep this connection in place ... and it can be set 'off center' so that you can take the waves more dead on to the bow when the wind is out of phase of the waves.
Since 'learning' the intricacies of a bridle I hardly ever use the riding sail ... 'cept in high wind/storm conditions.

Heres a diagram for an anchor bridle:

Last edited by RichH; 01-09-2012 at 01:44 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.