riding sail - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 01-06-2012 Thread Starter
Banned

riding sail

any one use an small "riding sail" while at anchor? looks like it just hanks onto the backstay and ties to the bottom of the mast. supposed to keep the bow into the wind while at anchor.
anyone here use this?
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-06-2012

I own one that has never been out of the bag it came in. Just not a big priority.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #3 of 15 Old 01-06-2012
Glad I found Sailnet

I got one becasue our Beneteau 50 would tack 120 degrees at anchor. When I put the riding sail up, tacking went down to 10 degrees total (5 degrees each side the wind). We would actually sail upwind on one side of the anchor and then the other. There were some significant forces on the anchor sail as the boat shifted those 5 degrees each way.

After installing our FourWindsII wind generator, we didn't need the riding sail anymore. There's enough wind resistance in the wind genny to prevent the boat surging forward during tacks. Since getting the wind generator I haven't raised the riding sail/anchor sail.

I figure I could use it as a storm jib, if the jib ever shredded.

Regards,
Brad

Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing (and a little bit of politics). I don't know why. It's a mystery!
post #4 of 15 Old 01-07-2012

Bene, your boat would make upwind progress at anchor with no sails? Now that's a sailboat!

We don't make upwind progress, but even on a mooring, we can swing the same 120 degrees in a good wind. If the wind is dead on stable, not so much, but that's rare. If shifty, even a little bit, she overreacts.

We rarely stay a the same anchorage or mooring for more than one night, so I just haven't rigged it yet. The one i bought is more like the OP described and is attached to the boom and backstays, not up by the jib. It's more like a three fin dart feather than a sail.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #5 of 15 Old 01-07-2012
Just another Moderator

We got one with our boat.. but since we stern tie so often it we rarely used it.

We gave it to our friends who sail their B 36.7 in the Caribbean - another boat that 'sails' miles at anchor, often getting into such an arc at such a speed that the anchor fetching up was a tangible shock - and in one extreme case tripped the anchor.

They use it daily - even for a lunch stop - and while it doesn't stop the to and fro on the hook it has reduced the arc significantly and the transitions from one side to the other are rather gentle. They absolutely swear by it.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #6 of 15 Old 01-07-2012
Lake Sailor

So I have an O'Day 25 that is going to be on a mooring this coming season, should I consider getting an anchor sail for my boat when I am not on it? This thread reminded me about them as I had been thinking about it. Just wondering if anyone knows if an O'Day 25 sails at anchor..... I suppose it wouldn't hurt to get one.

Umquam Porro

S/V Papillon 1977 O' Day 25

post #7 of 15 Old 01-07-2012
A New Adventurer

I had the same issue at my mooring and just started moving the boom to the port side when I would come in for the night. The sail cover, boom, and mainsail would put enough load to hold me to one side.

1989 Sabre 34II Targa
mjsailing.com
post #8 of 15 Old 01-07-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

Yes. I have one, it measures about 4 X 4 X 4 feet, I hank it on to the back stay shortly after setting the anchor, and it's the best thing since sliced bread. Before using the sail the boat swung hard on the anchor, which is a bit disconcerting while you're anchored in the middle of a fleet of boats and trying to get some sleep. With the sail in place, the boat does not swing at all, stays pointed directly into the wind and makes for a great night's sleep. No swinging, no rocking, no rolling.

Cheers,

Gary
post #9 of 15 Old 01-09-2012

Same as above...works great to stop yawing which will put great
load on ground tackle. I set mine on backstay but find that offseting to port or starboard toe rail works best.
post #10 of 15 Old 01-09-2012
S/V Double Take

quick question: What if you are in a tight mooring field, and you are the only one using the sail. Where I am moored, all the boats shift with the tide and the wind, some faster than others......being a newbie, I just had to ask!
Thanks!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.