The final solution - what I came up with regarding auxiliary propulsion (pic heavy) - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
That's pretty freakin' brilliant CnC. Nice work, dude.

I have a 4hp on my C27 (built in fuel tank, etc.). It's pretty dicey in windy conditions due to the low power - but it works just fine if you make sure inertia and time are your friends.

Also, the oversized backing plate is a good idea. There is a lot of force applied by continually raising and lowering the motor on those swing mounts. Maybe you should just go with a fixed mount that slides in and out of the BracketSquared?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisncate View Post
I should have been more detailed Minn: I wouldn't/won't store gas in the laz (of course), and the bracket takes up a very small area of the large lazerette. A small o/b can stow in one of the massive cockpit lockers (still leaving room for two bodies if need be), or on a rail, and a small 2.5 gallon gas container can stow on deck when the potential for it's use is anticipated.

I should have noted that we're talking 3 or 4 hp max I believe (40/44# - easy for me to lift from any angle at my age and size), with a built in fuel tank. No gas lines, etc. Basically something that can power our small hard dink, as well as push us down a fairway or parts of the ICW in favorable conditions. Simple, small.

I believe the welds would hold on their own when thinking about such a light motor, however I'm with you in thinking it wouldn't hurt to make it even less flexible (hence the two bolts the thread into the motor bracket itself when inserted into the bracket) and rigid for the long haul. Let me note it's not flexible now of course...

This is designed as a "barely there" motor idea, and one of these days one of my ideas brought to fruition is going to convince you I'm not quite as dumb as you think... (grin)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 01-10-2012 at 11:52 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-10-2012
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
I can't see the photos where I am, (yet) but it sounds like a good idea. I think you should try to source a two-stroke 5hp engine. The weight would be comparable, and you'll have more HP.

If you coordinate with winds and currents, hopefully this can get you through those narrow, unsailable areas of the ICW. I'm glad you came up with some kind of emergency propulsion.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 01-10-2012

tommays will become famous soon enough

NOT that it does not take HP to move a boat BUT IMHP I think there is a massive misunderstanding of just how bad a standard prop is

Because 4HP moved the 8000# Cal 29 at 4.5 knots and while the now healthy A4 will go 6.5 + the stern sinks above 5.5 knots

The biggect issue was NOT sinking the motor while crossing some BIG barge wakes in NYC

They use pretty much the same system on Jboats Up to the J29 MHOB
chrisncate likes this.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 01-10-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
Nice job, Chris. Hope meet up with you can Cate again this spring.

Gary
Old 01-10-2012

dabnis is on a distinguished road
Chris,

Wondering what effect taking out maybe 300 to 400 pounds from way down low and adding 50 or so pounds way back and up high might have on the sailing characteristics of your boat? Maybe making it a bit tender? Seems like a big change in the overall design function? If you can find someone that has made the same change it would be interesting.

Dabnis
Old 01-10-2012
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabnis View Post
Chris,

Wondering what effect taking out maybe 300 to 400 pounds from way down low and adding 50 or so pounds way back and up high might have on the sailing characteristics of your boat? Maybe making it a bit tender? Seems like a big change in the overall design function? If you can find someone that has made the same change it would be interesting.

Dabnis
The void where the engine was, probably will not remain empty. He'll load it with gear which will probably offset the missing weight somewhat.

Now that I'm home, the gear looks solid, and well-made. I really encourage you to look for a 5 - 8 hp TWO-STROKE outboard. It'll be very light and give you a better push against an adverse current. If you're going for a 4-stroke engine, then yeah, 4hp is probably your weight limit.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 01-10-2012
Don't sail anymore

chrisncate is on a distinguished road
Thanks guys, especially Smack and Bubble (know how you often feel about me, and I greatly appreciate what both of you said here in this thread- thank you!).

Smack - You asked:
Quote:
Maybe you should just go with a fixed mount that slides in and out of the BracketSquared?
Maybe you're right, but I happened to have this brand new bracket laying around from years ago when Boatersworld (I think that's what it was called anyway, sheesh.. mind is going blank) went out of business. If this one winds up not working, I'll just make a fixed mount thats simpler and thicker steel than the one I designed this bracket for. Prolly should have done that to begin with, but like all projects - this one evolved as it went...

Dab - Try not to picture using this bracket idea as a full on substitute for a motor (your question about wondering how quick one could get it mounted with a barge/large commercial vessel/ship), think of it more like what I op'd, just "help" in favorable conditions, light/no airs, or significant chop in tight quarters/unsailable areas..

Last edited by chrisncate; 01-12-2012 at 02:08 AM.
Old 01-10-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Chris, that's a good idea... but like most, it's not new. We had a boat built in 1982 with exactly that setup - a 24 foot dayracer that raced one-design with the motor below on the cabin sole. We had the exact same type of bracket that accepted the more standard lighter duty spring loaded OB bracket.

We left the motor on the bracket and lifted the whole assembly off the slider just as you plan to do.. there was a keeper pin to prevent the motor/mount from 'hopping' off the transom on a big wave.

Nevertheless, good thinking, and nice work - should work fine!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 01-10-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Seems like an uncharacteristically pragmatic way of dealing with having no engine; carrying an engine for use 'as needed'.
I also must agree that the looks of an outboard hanging off your pretty stern overhang is anathema.
Your bracket bracket looks pretty solid too. Time will tell. If it works then you can patent it and see if it helps your cruising kitty.
For those that asked, I believe that CnC has a 30' S&S sloop, IIRC. Nice looking boat and he has really spared few details with his re-fit.
It is going to be along winter so as far as I'm concerned you can make baiting comments all winter long but in the spring you better be heading somewhere.

Everybody has one:

Old 01-10-2012
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Looks great!!

Watch out for bigger seas, where the prop might come out of the water (or the engine get submerged).

Regards,
Brad
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing.