The final solution - what I came up with regarding auxiliary propulsion (pic heavy) - Page 3 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2012
Banned

dabnis is on a distinguished road
Chris,

OK, so noted, 50 extra gallons or so should hold you for a day or two. As said earlier a small motor is better than no motor. Hope it all works out as planned, keep us posted.

Dabnis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-10-2012
Taco Whisperer

chrisncate is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Chris, that's a good idea... but like most, it's not new. We had a boat built in 1982 with exactly that setup - a 24 foot dayracer that raced one-design with the motor below on the cabin sole. We had the exact same type of bracket that accepted the more standard lighter duty spring loaded OB bracket.

We left the motor on the bracket and lifted the whole assembly off the slider just as you plan to do.. there was a keeper pin to prevent the motor/mount from 'hopping' off the transom on a big wave.

Nevertheless, good thinking, and nice work - should work fine!
Thanks! You wouldn't happen to have any pics would you? I'd love to see another design on this idea.
Old 01-10-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisncate View Post
Thanks! You wouldn't happen to have any pics would you? I'd love to see another design on this idea.
No close-ups, but here's a couple of views I found on the web.. you can see the molded recess where the slide plate was installed, (it's aluminum unlike your SS fabrication)

These are Vancouver (now SoCal) built Martin 242s... great little boats...

One shot without motor/bracket, the other with bracket.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 01-10-2012
Taco Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
Seems like an uncharacteristically pragmatic way of dealing with having no engine.....I'm concerned you can make baiting comments all winter long but in the spring you better be heading somewhere.
The way you wrote that last part sounds like you're coming for me when your ice cave melts and you emerge this spring

Re; pragmatism - I hear you but what else can I do? Unless it's "on the outside, all the time", I need a small amount of motor for the locks/ narrow unsailable channels, no? This bracket was born out of the many discussions/debates/arguments right here on the motorless topic you know... I take things seriously (even when I don't), and I freely admit many of you made good arguments.
Old 01-10-2012
Taco Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
No close-ups, but here's a couple of views I found on the web.. you can see the molded recess where the slide plate was installed, (it's aluminum unlike your SS fabrication)

These are Vancouver (now SoCal) built Martin 242s... great little boats...

One shot without motor/bracket, the other with bracket.

Neat. I suppose if it worked in aluminum, it'll certainly work in steel. Thanks Faster..
Old 01-11-2012
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Nice job Chris! I've often thought that a mount similar to that, but much longer top to bottom, would be a great way to store the outboard. When you want to put it on the dingy just pull a pin and slide it down to water level and hop in the dinghy to transfer it to the transom. Or if the main engine/prop is kaput, use the outboard for propulsion like you are planning to do. When done just pull it up and lock in place. Seeyalatermoonglow has a nifty setup that does what I"m doing a crummy job of trying to explain, his uses an aluminum tube to go up and down on.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 01-11-2012
Taco Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd22 View Post
Nice job Chris! I've often thought that a mount similar to that, but much longer top to bottom, would be a great way to store the outboard. When you want to put it on the dingy just pull a pin and slide it down to water level and hop in the dinghy to transfer it to the transom. Or if the main engine/prop is kaput, use the outboard for propulsion like you are planning to do. When done just pull it up and lock in place. Seeyalatermoonglow has a nifty setup that does what I"m doing a crummy job of trying to explain, his uses an aluminum tube to go up and down on.
Thank you! A longer version for higher freeboard boats is a great idea, especially the dink transfer you mentioned. Just drill more "pin setting" areas, and you have a full range of use. I have way low freeboard, and when I mount the mount there will only be a couple of inches on top or bottom due to my stern shape (making a boat to dink transfer of the o/b pretty level already).

I have also been thinking about an amidship removable mount for an o/b in addition to this one a la Yves Gelinas, (versatility, options are always a good thing)..
Old 01-11-2012

skygazer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I have also been thinking about an amidship removable mount for an o/b in addition to this one a la Yves Gelinas, (versatility, options are always a good thing)..
???...Tell us more, can't visualize what you mean or what it would do.

By the way, I also hate the motor hanging off look, along with (on a smaller boat) the leverage of the weight out there effecting the handling. I have a Victoria 18 with a stern similar to yours and could not bear to hang the included new motor, hated it.

Last summer I purchased 8ft. oars, the longest I could get overhead in the quarter berths, and experimented around till I found the best place to mount oarlocks. With such a small boat, the oars worked quite well coming into the boat ramp/trailer, the wharf, or getting out of a windless bay behind islands into the open. I rigged an electric trolling motor with plug in wiring to a solar battery, just in case, but kept it defiantly lashed to the bow pulpit.

Last edited by skygazer; 01-11-2012 at 08:22 AM.
Old 01-11-2012
Sunsets and Warm Beer....

LandLocked66c is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Or for a BBQ Grill! You could potentially use that mount for a lot of things... Ladder perhaps?
chrisncate likes this.

You can't steer a boat that isn't moving? Just like a life - P. Lutus
Old 01-11-2012
Taco Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skygazer View Post
???...Tell us more, can't visualize what you mean or what it would do.
Well, here is Yves Gelinas idea - it's a "swing arm" arrangement that puts his o/b on the quarter:

.. what I'm gonna do is make a removable mount that brings the motor closer to amidships, but not quite amidships. Yves uses a 15hp (I Think)..

I'd also like to make it much less intrusive/large than pictured above. Something akin to a "T" shape, that may drop in and secure with pins, still working it out. If it could be made simple enough, maybe it could be used on both sides on an as needed basis, whichever side weather (or whatever) allows it to function best on. I'll sketch a drawing sometime soon and post it here.. I have seen a small "sort of" version of what I'm thinking at Bacons once, but I have no idea who made it (might have been a one off)..

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.