The final solution - what I came up with regarding auxiliary propulsion (pic heavy) - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 52 Old 01-10-2012
Just another Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisncate View Post
Thanks! You wouldn't happen to have any pics would you? I'd love to see another design on this idea.
No close-ups, but here's a couple of views I found on the web.. you can see the molded recess where the slide plate was installed, (it's aluminum unlike your SS fabrication)

These are Vancouver (now SoCal) built Martin 242s... great little boats...

One shot without motor/bracket, the other with bracket.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 52 Old 01-10-2012
Courtney the Dancer

Nice job Chris! I've often thought that a mount similar to that, but much longer top to bottom, would be a great way to store the outboard. When you want to put it on the dingy just pull a pin and slide it down to water level and hop in the dinghy to transfer it to the transom. Or if the main engine/prop is kaput, use the outboard for propulsion like you are planning to do. When done just pull it up and lock in place. Seeyalatermoonglow has a nifty setup that does what I"m doing a crummy job of trying to explain, his uses an aluminum tube to go up and down on.

John
SV Laurie Anne

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

post #23 of 52 Old 01-11-2012

Quote:
I have also been thinking about an amidship removable mount for an o/b in addition to this one a la Yves Gelinas, (versatility, options are always a good thing)..
???...Tell us more, can't visualize what you mean or what it would do.

By the way, I also hate the motor hanging off look, along with (on a smaller boat) the leverage of the weight out there effecting the handling. I have a Victoria 18 with a stern similar to yours and could not bear to hang the included new motor, hated it.

Last summer I purchased 8ft. oars, the longest I could get overhead in the quarter berths, and experimented around till I found the best place to mount oarlocks. With such a small boat, the oars worked quite well coming into the boat ramp/trailer, the wharf, or getting out of a windless bay behind islands into the open. I rigged an electric trolling motor with plug in wiring to a solar battery, just in case, but kept it defiantly lashed to the bow pulpit.

Last edited by skygazer; 01-11-2012 at 07:22 AM.
post #24 of 52 Old 01-11-2012
Sunsets and Warm Beer....

Quote:
I have also been thinking about an amidship removable mount for an o/b in addition to this one a la Yves Gelinas, (versatility, options are always a good thing)..
Or for a BBQ Grill! You could potentially use that mount for a lot of things... Ladder perhaps?
chrisncate likes this.

1971 23' Oday Pop Top
S/V Frida

You can't steer a boat that isn't moving? Just like a life - P. Lutus
post #25 of 52 Old 01-11-2012

Quote:
Well, here is Yves Gelinas idea - it's a "swing arm" arrangement that puts his o/b on the quarter:

.. what I'm gonna do is make a removable mount that brings the motor closer to amidships, but not quite amidships. Yves uses a 15hp (I Think)..
Interesting, sure removes the leverage effect of hanging it off the transom. And, you don't have to add your body weight way back there as well, just to control it.

Thanks!
post #26 of 52 Old 01-11-2012
Tartan 27' owner

Fish or cut bait

Quote:
The way you wrote that last part sounds like you're coming for me when your ice cave melts and you emerge this spring

Re; pragmatism - I hear you but what else can I do? Unless it's "on the outside, all the time", I need a small amount of motor for the locks/ narrow unsailable channels, no? This bracket was born out of the many discussions/debates/arguments right here on the motorless topic you know... I take things seriously (even when I don't), and I freely admit many of you made good arguments.
And I do think it is a clever idea. You would not be the first person to head down the eastern seaboard with only an outboard. This guy did it in 1912: http://www.amazon.com/Boy-Me-Cat-Hen.../dp/1589762266
Betcha' didn't know they even had outboards in 1912!

Still waiting for the 'ice caves' to form up here. The threat is only that I like to get down to 'Naptown about twice a year for a sail on your skinny Chessy waters. I'd be happy to stop by your boat and admire and lambaste all the hard work you have put into your boat.

I'm in FL right now, heading down to the keys to see a friends boat but when the 'ice caves' do finally settle in be advised that I will become much more crusty.

Cheers.

"The cure for anything is salt water~ sweat, tears, or the sea." ~Isak Denesen

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #27 of 52 Old 01-11-2012 Thread Starter
Sailors do like Heineken!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
And I do think it is a clever idea. You would not be the first person to head down the eastern seaboard with only an outboard. This guy did it in 1912: Amazon.com: The Boy, Me, and the Cat (9781589762268): Henry Plummer: Books
Betcha' didn't know they even had outboards in 1912!

Still waiting for the 'ice caves' to form up here. The threat is only that I like to get down to 'Naptown about twice a year for a sail on your skinny Chessy waters. I'd be happy to stop by your boat and admire and lambaste all the hard work you have put into your boat.

I'm in FL right now, heading down to the keys to see a friends boat but when the 'ice caves' do finally settle in be advised that I will become much more crusty.

Cheers.
Enjoy the Keys, sounds like the place to be right about now... and who knows, maybe we'll meet up on the bay sometime for a sail and some beers.. I am so ready after a year of no sailing and all work...

Outboards - had I never been to Fairwinds Marina, I'd have never known about ancient outboards.. ever been there? They have some of the most awesome old stuff hanging up in there, truly amazing motors. Each one has a "hold" tag on it too...

Cool looking book, have you read it? There was an ICW back then.... ?
post #28 of 52 Old 01-12-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CnC,
I highly recommend that book by Henry Plummer ("Me, the Boy and the Cat"). It is an easy read and a fun slice of one man's account of going up and down the early ICW. Back then there was a canal that went up the Raritan River (in NJ) to the Delaware River (north of Philly) so they did relatively little 'outside' sailing as their main boat was small (~23'). They ran aground a few times but depended on their 'kicker' or OB engine and were able to fix it when needed. Some of his observations about the folks he met along the way are priceless; biased by his plain spoken New England background. I highly recommend it, five stars ***** out of five.
I really do like the 'engine-less' idea but having an engine you can use is better then rowing against the current. I also wish that electric motor and battery technology where better but I am not convinced that much of the manufacturing processes for batteries are 'green'. I'm convinced of the opposite really.
I've grown to like my now antique 1967 Atomic 4 engine (even if it pollutes in it's own way) and have striven to make the old beast the devil I know, love and care for. It still gets me where I need to go and the more I care for it the better it seems to take care of me. Get the manuals for the outboard you end up going with if you don't already have them.
My friends San Juan 29' is down in Marathon. I'll just be there for a few days to do an informal inspection of his boat and lambaste him for any short comings I find; and I expect to find a few. I'm also hoping to go for a sail above all.
What seems a bit odd to me is that my T 27' weighs in at 7200#'s and his SJ 29' at about 6000#s. I seem to like older model boats better. We'll see.
chrisncate likes this.

"The cure for anything is salt water~ sweat, tears, or the sea." ~Isak Denesen

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #29 of 52 Old 01-12-2012
Sunsets and Warm Beer....

Thanks for the book recommendation, just ordered it!

1971 23' Oday Pop Top
S/V Frida

You can't steer a boat that isn't moving? Just like a life - P. Lutus
post #30 of 52 Old 01-12-2012

Some very interesting ideas here. I applaud anyone who works to preserve the look of a classic transom! I need an engine where I sail, and I must admit that one of the main reasons I passed on buying a particular boat years ago (a Cape Dory Typhoon) was that I just couldn't bear the thought of how an outboard looked hanging off that sweet Alberg design.

CnC, you and I differ on the desireability of an inboard engine, but I salute your ingenuity and sensibility in developing this solution. +1 to you sir.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.