The final solution - what I came up with regarding auxiliary propulsion (pic heavy) - Page 6 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2012
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisncate View Post
Huh, it's not like that here on the Chesapeake at all. The barges and ships here will often stop to let smaller boats pass, and even with the occasional collision - the captains usually just shake hands and move on, leaving it unreported..

Thanks for the well wishes, I think it might be the first time
Wha... huh?

I was nearly run down in my Coronado 25 by a container vessel last year. I was near Bloody Point, making a stbd/stbd passing, when he abruptly turned further to stbd, causing me to dodge. I had a passenger whom I directed to drop to the cockpit sole to make sure that they didn't get pitched overboard while I negotiated the wake.

No comms from them, whatsoever. I dunno, maybe they were the exception and not the rule. I hope.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-12-2012
Get over yourself already

chrisncate is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
Wha... huh?

I was nearly run down in my Coronado 25 by a container vessel last year. I was near Bloody Point, making a stbd/stbd passing, when he abruptly turned further to stbd, causing me to dodge. I had a passenger whom I directed to drop to the cockpit sole to make sure that they didn't get pitched overboard while I negotiated the wake.

No comms from them, whatsoever. I dunno, maybe they were the exception and not the rule. I hope.
Lol, that was my point... (I guess I was too deadpan in my delivery..)..
Old 01-12-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Lol, that was my point... (I guess I was too deadpan in my delivery..)..
Yes.... Delivery. Always delivery.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 01-13-2012

dabnis is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Huh, it's not like that here on the Chesapeake at all. The barges and ships here will often stop to let smaller boats pass, and even with the occasional collision - the captains usually just shake hands and move on, leaving it unreported..

Thanks for the well wishes, I think it might be the first time
Well, that is really nice of them, totally the opposite from my experiences of many years in and outside of San Francisco Bay. My definition of who has the right of way is which vessel is bigger than the other. Some time ago after arguing with my Dad about whether or not to start the motor to avoid a tanker
I pushed him aside and started it. Had it not started immediately My wife and I, my two daughters, and my Dad would have been killed. nice to see that wouldn't happen in your area. Keep them comimg!!

Dabnis
Old 01-13-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabnis View Post
Well, that is really nice of them, totally the opposite from my experiences of many years in and outside of San Francisco Bay. My definition of who has the right of way is which vessel is bigger than the other. Some time ago after arguing with my Dad about whether or not to start the motor to avoid a tanker
I pushed him aside and started it. Had it not started immediately My wife and I, my two daughters, and my Dad would have been killed. nice to see that wouldn't happen in your area. Keep them comimg!!

Dabnis
I think it was CnC's failed effort at sarcasm.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 01-13-2012

dabnis is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I think it was CnC's failed effort at sarcasm.
I am sure it was. I seriously doubt that any commercial skipper would endanger his vessel and crew to even try to avoid running a small boat down.
For liability purposes he might blow the whistle and try a short burst of reverse just before he runs you down? Chris, keep trolling!!

Dabnis
Old 07-11-2013

Mirage26 is on a distinguished road
Re: The final solution - what I came up with regarding auxiliary propulsion (pic heav

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchbrown View Post
nice looking bracket. Good idea and nice craftsmanship. Thumbs up from me

Mitch
I cannot see the pictures.
Mirage26
Old 07-11-2013

Frogwatch is on a distinguished road
Re: The final solution - what I came up with regarding auxiliary propulsion (pic heav

Nice looking bracket bracket.

Your bracket is the same I have for the kicker on my Tolman Skiff. Over ayear of bouncing around on the road, it finally cracked the fiberglass because of the stress at the bottom of the bracket. Your bracket bracket is not much bigger than the footprint of the bracket. I now use a piece of 3/16 G10 about 1" wider but 2" longer between the bracket and hull to spread the load. You will also need such.
Old 07-11-2013
Get over yourself already

chrisncate is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogwatch View Post
Nice looking bracket bracket.

Your bracket is the same I have for the kicker on my Tolman Skiff. Over ayear of bouncing around on the road, it finally cracked the fiberglass because of the stress at the bottom of the bracket. Your bracket bracket is not much bigger than the footprint of the bracket. I now use a piece of 3/16 G10 about 1" wider but 2" longer between the bracket and hull to spread the load. You will also need such.
I wound up using a stainless backing plate of the same footprint. That, in combination with the very thick transom glass lay up on the A-30 seemed to do the trick (the A-30 transom is small and thick, and held the bracket vane with ease and no perceivable flex). I only used a 2hp Honda 4s on the bracket, and I removed two springs as I couldn't easily compress the bracket downwards with such a light load on it. It worked extremely well.
Old 07-27-2013

jeffzee is on a distinguished road

Those are some welds!!
chrisncate likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.