The final solution - what I came up with regarding auxiliary propulsion (pic heavy) - Page 6 - SailNet Community

   Search Sailnet:

 forums  store  


Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here






Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 


Like Tree22Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #51  
Old 01-12-2012
BubbleheadMd's Avatar
Chastened
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Edgewater/Annapolis
Posts: 2,837
Thanks: 0
Thanked 55 Times in 51 Posts
Rep Power: 5
BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisncate View Post
Huh, it's not like that here on the Chesapeake at all. The barges and ships here will often stop to let smaller boats pass, and even with the occasional collision - the captains usually just shake hands and move on, leaving it unreported..

Thanks for the well wishes, I think it might be the first time
Wha... huh?

I was nearly run down in my Coronado 25 by a container vessel last year. I was near Bloody Point, making a stbd/stbd passing, when he abruptly turned further to stbd, causing me to dodge. I had a passenger whom I directed to drop to the cockpit sole to make sure that they didn't get pitched overboard while I negotiated the wake.

No comms from them, whatsoever. I dunno, maybe they were the exception and not the rule. I hope.
__________________
S/V Old Shoes
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #52  
Old 01-12-2012
chrisncate's Avatar
prwg, NOW!
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 4,640
Thanks: 18
Thanked 30 Times in 30 Posts
Rep Power: 5
chrisncate is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
Wha... huh?

I was nearly run down in my Coronado 25 by a container vessel last year. I was near Bloody Point, making a stbd/stbd passing, when he abruptly turned further to stbd, causing me to dodge. I had a passenger whom I directed to drop to the cockpit sole to make sure that they didn't get pitched overboard while I negotiated the wake.

No comms from them, whatsoever. I dunno, maybe they were the exception and not the rule. I hope.
Lol, that was my point... (I guess I was too deadpan in my delivery..)..
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #53  
Old 01-12-2012
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Narragansett Bay
Posts: 8,849
Thanks: 10
Thanked 131 Times in 117 Posts
Rep Power: 6
Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisncate View Post
Lol, that was my point... (I guess I was too deadpan in my delivery..)..
Yes.... Delivery. Always delivery.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #54  
Old 01-13-2012
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Truckee, CA
Posts: 7,312
Thanks: 2
Thanked 105 Times in 103 Posts
Rep Power: 8
dabnis is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisncate View Post
Huh, it's not like that here on the Chesapeake at all. The barges and ships here will often stop to let smaller boats pass, and even with the occasional collision - the captains usually just shake hands and move on, leaving it unreported..

Thanks for the well wishes, I think it might be the first time
Well, that is really nice of them, totally the opposite from my experiences of many years in and outside of San Francisco Bay. My definition of who has the right of way is which vessel is bigger than the other. Some time ago after arguing with my Dad about whether or not to start the motor to avoid a tanker
I pushed him aside and started it. Had it not started immediately My wife and I, my two daughters, and my Dad would have been killed. nice to see that wouldn't happen in your area. Keep them comimg!!

Dabnis
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #55  
Old 01-13-2012
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Narragansett Bay
Posts: 8,849
Thanks: 10
Thanked 131 Times in 117 Posts
Rep Power: 6
Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabnis View Post
Well, that is really nice of them, totally the opposite from my experiences of many years in and outside of San Francisco Bay. My definition of who has the right of way is which vessel is bigger than the other. Some time ago after arguing with my Dad about whether or not to start the motor to avoid a tanker
I pushed him aside and started it. Had it not started immediately My wife and I, my two daughters, and my Dad would have been killed. nice to see that wouldn't happen in your area. Keep them comimg!!

Dabnis
I think it was CnC's failed effort at sarcasm.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #56  
Old 01-13-2012
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Truckee, CA
Posts: 7,312
Thanks: 2
Thanked 105 Times in 103 Posts
Rep Power: 8
dabnis is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I think it was CnC's failed effort at sarcasm.
I am sure it was. I seriously doubt that any commercial skipper would endanger his vessel and crew to even try to avoid running a small boat down.
For liability purposes he might blow the whistle and try a short burst of reverse just before he runs you down? Chris, keep trolling!!

Dabnis
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #57  
Old 07-11-2013
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Mirage26 is on a distinguished road
Re: The final solution - what I came up with regarding auxiliary propulsion (pic heav

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchbrown View Post
nice looking bracket. Good idea and nice craftsmanship. Thumbs up from me

Mitch
I cannot see the pictures.
Mirage26
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #58  
Old 07-11-2013
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 689
Thanks: 0
Thanked 17 Times in 17 Posts
Rep Power: 4
Frogwatch is on a distinguished road
Re: The final solution - what I came up with regarding auxiliary propulsion (pic heav

Nice looking bracket bracket.

Your bracket is the same I have for the kicker on my Tolman Skiff. Over ayear of bouncing around on the road, it finally cracked the fiberglass because of the stress at the bottom of the bracket. Your bracket bracket is not much bigger than the footprint of the bracket. I now use a piece of 3/16 G10 about 1" wider but 2" longer between the bracket and hull to spread the load. You will also need such.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #59  
Old 07-11-2013
chrisncate's Avatar
prwg, NOW!
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 4,640
Thanks: 18
Thanked 30 Times in 30 Posts
Rep Power: 5
chrisncate is on a distinguished road
Re: The final solution - what I came up with regarding auxiliary propulsion (pic heav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogwatch View Post
Nice looking bracket bracket.

Your bracket is the same I have for the kicker on my Tolman Skiff. Over ayear of bouncing around on the road, it finally cracked the fiberglass because of the stress at the bottom of the bracket. Your bracket bracket is not much bigger than the footprint of the bracket. I now use a piece of 3/16 G10 about 1" wider but 2" longer between the bracket and hull to spread the load. You will also need such.
I wound up using a stainless backing plate of the same footprint. That, in combination with the very thick transom glass lay up on the A-30 seemed to do the trick (the A-30 transom is small and thick, and held the bracket vane with ease and no perceivable flex). I only used a 2hp Honda 4s on the bracket, and I removed two springs as I couldn't easily compress the bracket downwards with such a light load on it. It worked extremely well.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #60  
Old 07-27-2013
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: White Rock BC
Posts: 22
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 0
jeffzee is on a distinguished road
Re: The final solution - what I came up with regarding auxiliary propulsion (pic heav

Those are some welds!!
chrisncate likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

 
Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Electric propulsion scrumhalf Gear & Maintenance 3 05-01-2008 05:55 PM
Consensus on electric propulsion brak Gear & Maintenance 9 04-30-2008 10:42 PM
Electric Propulsion vardaman77 Gear & Maintenance 5 08-05-2007 07:09 PM
Auxiliary Power penthink Boat Review and Purchase Forum 4 08-26-2004 10:14 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:17 PM.

Add to My Yahoo!         
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012

The SailNet.com store is owned and operated by a company independent of the SailNet.com forum. You are now leaving the SailNet forum. Click OK to continue or Cancel to return to the SailNet forum.