SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   The final solution - what I came up with regarding auxiliary propulsion (pic heavy) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/82565-final-solution-what-i-came-up-regarding-auxiliary-propulsion-pic-heavy.html)

chrisncate 01-10-2012 12:57 AM

The final solution - what I came up with regarding auxiliary propulsion (pic heavy)

mitchbrown 01-10-2012 01:03 AM

nice looking bracket. Good idea and nice craftsmanship. Thumbs up from me

Mitch

upei1 01-10-2012 01:46 AM

awesome design. What type of boat/transom is it going on?

PaulinVictoria 01-10-2012 02:53 AM

Nice job

Minnewaska 01-10-2012 03:11 AM

Neat idea, hard to predict how usage over time will hold up. Could be a lot of weight and strain on those welds. I'm imagining that physically installing the outboard in the mount will be an exercise to some degree, ie retrieving it, leaning over the transom, tightening fasteners, etc.

Gasoline in a lazerete is a no no.

Giving up a lazerete to accommodate the increased space gained by removing the main engine is confusing.

LandLocked66c 01-10-2012 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisncate (Post 815041)
and one of these days one of my ideas brought to fruition is going to convince you I'm not quite as dumb as you think... (grin)

You got a long way to go Bubb! :laugher

Minnewaska 01-10-2012 08:36 AM

Quote:

........with a built in fuel tank.....

This will complicate having no gas in laz.

Quote:

This is designed as a "barely there" motor idea, and one of these days one of my ideas brought to fruition is going to convince you I'm not quite as dumb as you think... (grin)
I wish you had the ability you avoid these baiting comments, they usually ultimately get you in trouble.

Tim R. 01-10-2012 09:11 AM

What size boat do you expect to be able to push with a 3 or 4 hp motor?

dabnis 01-10-2012 11:48 AM

Chris,

Nice work, assuming the welds are sound. it would be interesting to see how long it takes to get the motor out and mounted, started and getting underway when a big barge or other commercial vessel is about to run you down. In your pictures it looked like your boat was about 30 feet. 3 to 4 HP may push it in calm waters with minimal current. If you have any chop where you are going you will need the longest shaft you can get or you will be "spinning your wheels". I guess it all depends on how often you will have to use it as to whether you leave it on permanently or mount it each time you need it. 3 to 4 HP seems kind of whimpy but it is a whole lot better than nothing. Curious about your battery charging capabilities?

Dabnis

smackdaddy 01-10-2012 12:09 PM

That's pretty freakin' brilliant CnC. Nice work, dude.

I have a 4hp on my C27 (built in fuel tank, etc.). It's pretty dicey in windy conditions due to the low power - but it works just fine if you make sure inertia and time are your friends.

Also, the oversized backing plate is a good idea. There is a lot of force applied by continually raising and lowering the motor on those swing mounts. Maybe you should just go with a fixed mount that slides in and out of the BracketSquared?

Quote:

I should have been more detailed Minn: I wouldn't/won't store gas in the laz (of course), and the bracket takes up a very small area of the large lazerette. A small o/b can stow in one of the massive cockpit lockers (still leaving room for two bodies if need be), or on a rail, and a small 2.5 gallon gas container can stow on deck when the potential for it's use is anticipated.

I should have noted that we're talking 3 or 4 hp max I believe (40/44# - easy for me to lift from any angle at my age and size), with a built in fuel tank. No gas lines, etc. Basically something that can power our small hard dink, as well as push us down a fairway or parts of the ICW in favorable conditions. Simple, small.

I believe the welds would hold on their own when thinking about such a light motor, however I'm with you in thinking it wouldn't hurt to make it even less flexible (hence the two bolts the thread into the motor bracket itself when inserted into the bracket) and rigid for the long haul. Let me note it's not flexible now of course...

This is designed as a "barely there" motor idea, and one of these days one of my ideas brought to fruition is going to convince you I'm not quite as dumb as you think... (grin)