Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree72Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wifey View Post
First I need to explain what I meant by "screaming." By screaming, I meant screaming so he wouldn't kill me with the boom, waiting for the fear to subside and the situation to come under control, then apologizing, and attempting to talk it out. I also want to say again that I was directly in the path of the boom. So some say this was over reacting - maybe. What would the better course of action be? Duck? Watch the metal boom swing over my head, observe the damage on the boat after the fact, then look at my husband and ask if he is okay? I'm am actually just curious what people think is the right response in this kind of situation. Obviously using a lower voice is an option, but I had about half a second to get him to stop turning.
Your OP made it sound like you were screaming at him in anger (i.e. - not helping, just screaming) - then being a bit jerky by refusing to allow him (or even help him) to raise the sails when the conditions were right. At least you made him sound pretty nice and accommodating. That's cool.

Always hard to know everything that really goes on behind the written word. Especially when it comes from an iPhone that has lousy language skills...heh-heh.

Damn you Auto-Correct!

Of course, that never stops anyone like me from offering ill-informed opinions!

Welcome to SN Wifey. It's always lively.
sawingknots likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-10-2012
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road
Nice try playing the victim!

Abusers always minimize their behavior and always apologize for their abuse; victims rationalize away the abuse, "Oh, she just gets upset easily", "She was just worried about our safety..", "I know she "adores" me, even though she yells at me."

Abuse runs both ways, male on female, and female on male. Unfortunately, abusers and victims seek each other out, so this pair is probably destined for each other.

Lady, your marriage needs counseling. I hope you seek it out.
Old 01-10-2012
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
First I need to explain what I meant by "screaming." By screaming, I meant screaming so he wouldn't kill me with the boom, waiting for the fear to subside and the situation to come under control, then apologizing, and attempting to talk it out. I also want to say again that I was directly in the path of the boom. So some say this was over reacting - maybe. What would the better course of action be? Duck? Watch the metal boom swing over my head, observe the damage on the boat after the fact, then look at my husband and ask if he is okay? I'm am actually just curious what people think is the right response in this kind of situation. Obviously using a lower voice is an option, but I had about half a second to get him to stop turning.

Also, to the "Lawyer" - As to my command of the English Language, you should have considered that I was using my iphone before you chose to be insulting - it kind of undermined the credibility of all the other things you said. I notice that you didn't defend that part of your first post in your second post. As to the power struggle, the only one I see around here is yours as you try to assert your dominance as a male lawyer over a sailing wife, anonymously on the internet. But hey, thanks for the advice, I guess.
Ah, not a troll and touche'...

My wife was afraid of big water (though she knows you can drown in 6" as well as 6,000') but got through it with time. Did I scare her? Hell yes. She spent four hours clinging to the companionway ladder as we sailed/surfed in a beam sea gale at no less than 40* of heel averaging 10 knots in a boat with a 7 knot hull speed AGAINST the ebb. We simply had no choice at the time.

My point is, teach your husband, don't scream at him. Yes, ya should've ducked and let the boom cross or spoken slightly louder to warn of the impending gybe. Lighten up and go sailing....

Old 01-10-2012

tommays will become famous soon enough

Good thing it was not windy

Its not like you were never on a sailboat and lacked any awareness that a boom could hit you on the head ?
smackdaddy and VK540 like this.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat

Last edited by tommays; 01-10-2012 at 02:02 PM.
Old 01-10-2012
Sunsets and Warm Beer....

LandLocked66c is on a distinguished road
I'm starting to think "wifey" is smacks wife airing out the dirty "sailing" laundry... If so I see no reason not to believe her tales!
davidpm and jameswilson29 like this.

You can't steer a boat that isn't moving? Just like a life - P. Lutus

Last edited by LandLocked66c; 01-10-2012 at 02:04 PM.
Old 01-10-2012
Sundance 23

carl762 is on a distinguished road
Well, darnit, looks like I missed a good one. Wifey edited out her op 12 min ago.
Old 01-10-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Not much more to be added. I'm curious what the OP plans to do with the advice they asked for.???

The constructive input can be boiled down to: get lessons and/or back off the ultimatums.

What's it going to be?

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 01-10-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl762 View Post
Well, darnit, looks like I missed a good one. Wifey edited out her op 12 min ago.
Deleted as I see it right now. Given that her husband would rightfully feel betrayed by this public flogging, she probably did the right thing.
jameswilson29 likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 01-10-2012
Sunsets and Warm Beer....

LandLocked66c is on a distinguished road
Smack? Are you gonna listen to her NOW? Huh?

You can't steer a boat that isn't moving? Just like a life - P. Lutus
Old 01-10-2012

MarkSF is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Nice trick. Now no-one knows what the entire thread was about.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.