Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2012

SOUNDBOUNDER is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post

Of course, with the boat mentioned by the OP, it is difficult to get anything on and off MV. This boat also obviously has value and tossing it in a dumpster would be unconscionable. The owner should give it to someone if he/she is not financially capable of keeping it so the boat is not totally destroyed by the little b$&*ards who broke the windows out.
YES!!!!
I think the other confusion on here is that people are taking the 3 RI Abandoned Boats price ($12K) and applying it to cost of removing the one sailboat in the OP.

As for the MV boat in the OP.....
$7k seems reasonable for a town looking to recoup their hauling, storage, transport, and legal fees.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-13-2012

Quote:
The fact that you would worry about getting the engines out indicates you don't have any idea about how to make things work. Parts would fall out as the boat disappeared in sections. I have done things like this, have you?
Yes I have....and your condescending attitude doesn't fly.

Once again......
One guy with a chainsaw is not fully disposing of a 58' motoryacht in two days for a cost of only $1000 (not to mention tug, hauling, and yard fees).

You are trying to hijack the thread and turn it into a talk-radio anti-government rant. We get it!
The truth of the matter is that private companies aren't going to tow/haul/store/cut-up/dispose of a 58' motoryacht for $1000 either.

As for the OP sailboat....
And you might want to check the fees for transporting a dumpster on the ferries from MV to Woods Hole before you toss out your $1000. figure next time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-13-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Not condescending, just relating some experience in getting things done that may seem big undertakings but are really not. The debris from a 58' boat would most certainly fit in a large dumpster. With a good sized loader nearby, the job could be accomplished in about an hour. I used to fill hundreds of these things on large building sites, so have a pretty good idea of what can be scrunched into one if well packed. Look at it this way, if you ordered all the materials to build a 60' boat, it would all easily fit on one flatbed trailer with room to spare. I once watched a 50' woodie disappear in about 2 hours into the back of a large dump truck.

MV is indeed an entirely different story because of the ferry. I was not referring, as you know to that boat but to the costs quoted in this and other news stories. It just does not take many thousands of dollars to get rid of a boat unless you're in some very restrictive place. Seems to me that there are some states like SC that have passed laws to enable municipalities to clear out abandoned boats through seizing title quickly and auctions or just hauling them to the dump. It has apparently become a real problem in the "sun" states during this depression.
Old 01-14-2012

More on the 3 boats in RI:

The cost of removing three derelict boats from the upper Kickemuit River could end up costing the town as much as $12,300.

The $7,800, though, covers only the cost of towing the boats out and hauling two of them out of the water. Town officials believe they’ll be on the hook for up to $4,500 more, the amount it will cost to store them at Bristol Marine in Somerset for 90 days.

That 90-day period, said interim Warren Town Manager Thomas Gordon, is the maximum amount of time town officials are required to store them before they can auction them off, or find some other means to recoup the cost of removal.

Kickemuit boats' removal cost could reach $12,300 | EastBayRI.com

You're not getting this all done for a $1000 a boat

Old 01-14-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

A thousand bucks is what someone with common sense would pay to just demolish a boat and what it should cost if common sense prevailed. That boat in the picture does not look like a demo job. Maybe the folks in charge of the cleanup have figured they can actually sell it to cover the costs and it's worth hauling and storing. From afar it looks like it might be worth a few bucks; not your typical sunken derelict which it surely would have been if left on the beach. Neither of the boats in your post, the one in MV or the one in the picture look like candidates for the loader. The cost estimates they are publishing demonstrates how profusely governments can spend tax dollars.
chrisncate likes this.
Old 01-14-2012

tommays will become famous soon enough
It cost over 1000 dollars to move my boat from my driveway 10 miles to the water lift it off the truck and step the mast and that is a rock bottom price on long island

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 01-14-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

Looks like she's in beautiful shape. I grew up on LI. It wasn't always so darned expensive as it is today to keep a boat there. Guess it's just a population issue. I found my boat as a "project boat" in PJ ,worked on her one summer there on the Island and then decided to move her closer on Lake Champlain. Prices are much better up here. The drawback of being on the lake is having to sail through the canal and down the Hudson to get to salt water.
Old 01-14-2012
Taco Whisperer

chrisncate is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I would like to know where they come up with these outrageous numbers for disposing of boats. My estimate would be something like: 1 man 2 days (probably 1 day) with saws and crow bars= $300, 1 rental dumpster =$600.00, 6 chainsaw blades=$100, maybe lifting ballast onto truck to cart to recycler= a wash because 5000# of lead would pay for this op. An even cheaper way if they float: fuel to tow them out to a local offshore dumping (artificial reef:-) site= maybe $1000 or way less/boat if you could string 20 of them together.
Total: est. $50 to $1000/ boat.

Of course, with the boat mentioned by the OP, it is difficult to get anything on and off MV. This boat also obviously has value and tossing it in a dumpster would be unconscionable. The owner should give it to someone if he/she is not financially capable of keeping it so the boat is not totally destroyed by the little b$&*ards who broke the windows out.
You can't do any of that for the same reasons you can't just drag a 42 foot hunter off the beach in VA, duh..

(what were those reasons again btw?)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.