Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough
Re: Largest Semi-Trailerable Sailboat ???

Here is a 40'er that I designed that is very trailerable.
Attached Thumbnails
Largest Semi-Trailerable Sailboat ???-farharbour39-profile-drydock2.jpg   Largest Semi-Trailerable Sailboat ???-bernieprofile.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bob's Blog ....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-13-2013

Lake Superior Sailor is on a distinguished road

I have been thinking / dreaming of a Cal 40 & building a trailer for it! Time will tell, & I will bring pictures when it happens...Dale
Where God got it done!
Old 04-13-2013

dem45133 is on a distinguished road

40 foot... That would be a problem here. Maybe if the bow overhangs the tow vehicle a little... as at least here in Ohio 40 ft is the longest non-com trailer allowed on a pull behind. Your also not allowed more than 4 ft of overhang. That trailer above would not be legal in Ohio with that amount of overhang of it's "cargo". I designed a fully "removable during launch" DOT Bar/Light bar behind the main frame that gives a little protection to my rudder, at least a light to moderate bump. While at this time I'm designing around the 30' seafarer.... I am building in capacity to gross the trailer to 20k... who knows, I may find a 36 or a 40 I'd like better sometime. There is a lot of adjustment capability I'm building in. Be more than my little 1 ton will want then... and I may need something heavier to tow it later on. Maybe an antique Mack single axle 350 9 speed. It would drag around 20k like it was bob-tailing almost. 5-6 mpg with the Mack at 80k back in the day. 11-12 mpg with the 1 ton with only the 10k trailer. It'll be slight less with 13k (we won't bother calculating on 10 mile long 6-7% up grades).

(yea, I must be getting old... well or something like that.... I saw a picture of a nicely restored 85 Mack MH613 in an Antique Truck Magazine. Antique!!! Hate it when that happens! I put 600,000 miles on one from 1986 through 1989 and it was brand new when I got in it.)

later... again

Last edited by dem45133; 04-13-2013 at 03:55 PM.
Old 04-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
I would also add that going to multi-hulls can place a lot more boat on a trailer than a mono-hull. The entire Corsair line (including the 36) is trailerable. Though to be fair the larger boats are more transportable than truly trailerable.

For many in the marine industry a trailerable boat is one that can be easily trailered, and go from packed away for the road to out sailing in less than an hour or so. Transportable typically referred to boats that can be moved by trailer, without specialty permits, by nothing larger than a standard hitch, and can be put in the water without outside assistance (think cranes for stepping the mast).
For those who may not know... I believe his use of the term "standard hitch" is anything up to a Class V receiver hitch 2-5/16" ball (various ratings but around the 14 or 15k mark mostly). For those of us with 1 tons or 1 1/2 tons that's pretty common. I haven't seen a receiver hitch rated higher than that... but they didn't have any when I was buying mine, maybe now they do?

Above that one starts getting into dedicated pintel hitches, I think. Its what you see say behind a 5 ton dump truck towing a larger breed rubber tired back hoe or a small dozer on a heavy flat bed. I haven't researched the capacity of pintel hitches but its up there.

If I go to a larger dedicated tow vehicle and not my 1 ton for something more than 13 or 14k... I'll research it then. Likely get full away from pull behind and covert the trailer to a fifth wheel. I'd convert now but that's a lot of weight added and reduces the net I can pull with the 01 Dodge 1 ton Cummins on hills. (a v8 3/4 can pull 20k on the plains... just not legal). Even if I go to a bigger boat I'd really like to stay below 26,000 total gross so I do not need a CDL. Although... since 49 CFR is "commercial".... I fail to see how it applies to a private recreational use not-for-hire regardless of weight... so long as one knows what they are doing. A CDL does not mean they actually know anything except maybe how to keep a log book. When I drove OTR before CDL I met many new drivers fresh out of truck driving school that I would never ride behind. But its a fight I really do not want to get into with them (DOT).

Last edited by dem45133; 04-13-2013 at 04:27 PM.
Old 06-22-2013

Re: Largest Semi-Trailerable Sailboat ??? 30 Seafarer Update

She's FINALLY home!!!

For those of you who did not read my earlier threads I am "Trailer Sailing" a 30 ft Seafarer Swiftsure deep keel (tall mast, evidently).

As I posted before, I elected not to haul it home from Baltimore last fall as the simple mods from a conventional bunker system for the previous 27 bayliner Buccaneer just would not work for this boat. Redesigned and rebuilt the trailer this spring.

Overwintering, mast drop, and lifts were killing me. I had it at the marina in Baltimore for 10 months after buying it in water... better than $3000 spent for next to nothing tangeble.

Trailer and boat fit like a glove.... keel support is 7" above the ground in the middle of the triple axle group (good trick BTW). Incorporated 8 Brunnel screw pads instead of bunkers. zero flex frame (trussed in two planes).

The boat is quite a bit heavier than its spec'd displacement (7520 and 8600 respectively), by almost a 1000 lbs yet its bone dry and fully stripped of anything removable. Boat still weighed 9500. She'll weigh another 1000 by the time its re-powered, fully geared and wet. Combined gross was 22700 (trailer, boat, and 1 ton-with retarder).

I just eased it up and down the big grades and down the hyway. 50-55 mph typical. Its all my stock Cummins and 3:55 gears really wanted though. I may think on installing 4:10 gears later on... will see.

Now that its home I can finish the aft end of the trailer for float on-off and incorporate a 20 ft tongue extension system, both of which needed the boat in place to finish their designs.

I'll post some pictures when I get the truck unpacked and the camera in the house.

Later...
Dave
Old 06-22-2013

tommays will become famous soon enough

Congratulations on the safe move

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 06-22-2013

skygazer is on a distinguished road

Wow, I'm totally impressed! I also must congratulate you on rebuilding the trailer and bringing her home. Quite the accomplishment, and way beyond my abilities.

I'm pecking away at my trailer every now and then to try to achieve a better ride. I'm finding that there is a lot more flex than I realized in the trailer frame, even with my very light weight Hunter 23 (around 2500 or 3000 lbs.). I've moved the upright with the winch and "V" block forward, and shoved the boat ahead to increase tongue weight. Moving the boat forward on the trailer also put the keel more centered over the cross members on the trailer, which support the keel bunk. I still need to get some more verticle support forward to keep the boat from seesawing (hobby horsing) on it's short keel, and build new guides for the keel since I cut the existing ones out.

Summer just started here yesterday after a cold spring, so I don't feel too bad about not being ready. Being able (I hope) to cruise down the road will be worth the trouble. I hated the way it rode last year! Heading to the ocean from here goes across the grain of the land, and the roads are rough.
The Following User Says Thank You to skygazer For This Useful Post:
dem45133 (06-23-2013)
Old 06-22-2013

One thing I did learn on this is sailboats are carried much different than planing hulls. If you think about it, one has to haul the lead keel... and then support the boat around it, all around it.

I initially had a bunker system under the Bucc... totally inadequate for a rounded (in all directions) deep short keel hull. Ended up buying 8 Brunnel screw pads... that let me dial in the hull support just right.

float off is not any issues... but float on may be a challenge... it has to pivot down as the bow comes up with the trailer and "land" on the keel within a 1/4" for and aft. Still thinking on that, but I'll figure out something.

Thanks for the vote of confidence... there were many hours pondering how to handle the various forces.

Last edited by dem45133; 06-22-2013 at 06:26 PM.
Old 06-22-2013
Daniel - Norsea 27

Rhapsody-NS27 is on a distinguished road

with all these pages of towing/trailering boats, I'm happy with the one I got, a Nor'sea 27. Don't have to worry about tow permits and it's built to go just about anywhere I would want.

Quote:
“When a man comes to like a sea life, he is not fit to live on land.” — Dr. Samuel Johnson
Old 06-22-2013

Actually the permits themselves are not a problem although you are limited to daylight dry conditions. I bought a 100 dollar annual wide load boat only permit for any road in OH. J.J. Keller did the MD and WV permits.