Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2013

dem45133 is on a distinguished road
Re: Largest Semi-Trailerable Sailboat ???

Just an update...

The 30 ft Seafarer is "On Hold" at the minute. I ended up taking a job that is 1600 miles from the house. Left out of here Aug 22, just flew in last Friday (Dec 20) for the Christmas holidays. Four months since I saw my wife, but we've done this before. Doing my kind of projects in a rented apartment were my work is, is impossible, but one does what ever they have to for money and health insurance. It'll just sit there under the tarp and wait for me. No options... always have to have work. Not able to retire yet... but it will be my retirement toy in a few years. But being that it lives on its trailer under a tarp AT HOME... means its stopped eating too until I decide to feed it.

next steps:

- paint the hull (bottom for sure, maybe the topsides)
- pull the single cyl Farymann and rig and install the V twin
- design up a conventional mast raising system (not hard)... but I also am designing a totally "hands off" folding mast system (I'll remove and leave Seafarer's original mast intact...but this will take a couple winters to build so I''ll do a conventional system to start with)
- pull the junk leaky ports and rebuild with one way mirrored poly sheet encompassing all five per side similar to newer designs... ventilation will be trough the twin hatches.
- rebuild the hot water system (he lied...the one in it is junk... wasn't even hooked up and was rotten... lying bastard... one of many lies concerning subsystems... I hate buying anything anymore!)

She's a good boat but he just let her fall apart in some ways on systems... she'll feel a lot better when I'm done. Interior and wood works is fine, just needs cleaning.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-23-2013
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road

Good for you that you found a boat and seen to have the step by step long term drive that will take see yourself through.
Merry Christmas, Lou
Old 12-23-2013

Kyhillbilly is on a distinguished road

Hey Lou, just thought I would say hello and hope you have a Merry Christmas as well.
Old 12-24-2013

skygazer is on a distinguished road

I have three sitting on trailers under tarps in my yard. I agree, it's great that they aren't "eating", no pressure, just enjoyment.

Don't forget, that when you turn on the interior lights, the one way mirrors will work the other way, you will be looking in a mirror and anyone outside will be looking in at you. And they cut down on light coming in. I would rather have simple old curtains, adjustable for light or privacy.

Glad you have work!
Old 12-24-2013

Group9 is on a distinguished road

I don't know if anyone mentioned them before, but you can still find a Hobie 33 trailerable boat if you look around enough. I used to want one and they are pretty fast, too.

Hobie 33 North American Class Association

Lou452 likes this.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 12-24-2013

skygazer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
I don't know if anyone mentioned them before, but you can still find a Hobie 33 trailerable boat if you look around enough. I used to want one and they are pretty fast, too.

Hobie 33 North American Class Association

Wow!! Long and lean. Never heard of them, look great. I'd love to go to New Orleans and watch, but I have to be here for ice and snow.