Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2012

skygazer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidd View Post
I have a "transportable boat" not a trailer sailer by any means.
Squidd, Did you build that wooden cradle, and did you replace the cradle set up with the bunk board set up? Can you float on/off with those bunks? Looks good!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-11-2012
Superior Sailor

Squidd is on a distinguished road
Yes, I built the wooden cradle "site unseen" before I drove from Wisconsin out to Washington DC to pick up boat...(Wasn't a total guess, I did some measuring and calculations from spec sheet on boat) Fit pretty well right off the bat on the flatbed, lucked out on balance point, pulled easy..

I have since constructed the purpose built bunk trailer to float/launch the boat at landings...

Plan is to drive out and have crane step mast in spring...leave mast up all season, launch boat at landing as needed and store boat at marina when not at use...During the sumer when all the boats are on the water, "hard" space is cheap...

Don't have to pull/step it each time and don't have to exorbitant slip fees when I'm not there...

And still get to bring it home for winter storage/maintenance/lawn ornament...(actually, I keep it in the barn)

Last edited by Squidd; 01-11-2012 at 07:38 AM.
Old 01-11-2012

skygazer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidd View Post
Yes, I built the wooden cradle "site unseen" before I drove from Wisconsin out to Washington DC to pick up boat...(Wasn't a total guess, I did some measuring and calculations from spec sheet on boat) Fit pretty well right off the bat on the flatbed, lucked out on balance point, pulled easy..

I have since constructed the purpose built bunk trailer to float/launch the boat at landings...
Now that is impressive, I really like it when someone figures out how to do on their own, and makes it work.

I made a much different cradle for a boat I purchased last fall. More like blocking it up. I was too cheap to buy lumber, so after grabbing some landscape ties, I sawed up some junk pine I'd dropped just to clear space in the spring. Then I brought the empty trailer and a truckload of of wood, hydraulic jacks, pipe (rollers), tools, and most importantly, a chainsaw.

I had to work without power, so I chainsawed the the wood to fit the boat on site. The boat was on jackstands and I had to get it on the trailer myself, so I built a front support, backed under the boat, added rollers, and kept backing till I needed the rear supports. Balance point was a guess. A bit hairy at times, but all went well.

Old 01-11-2012
Owl

-OvO- is on a distinguished road
And then you drove it down the highway?
Old 01-11-2012

H and E is on a distinguished road
We were looking for a boat that we could move from lake t lake with a trailer that was big enough to spend a weekend on and perhaps take to the gulf. We ended up with a Catalina 25 wing keel with a inboard diesel. The PO used a third wheel on the trailer tongue and a rope. I built a channel iron tongue extension to replace the rope and am in the process of building an A frame for the bow and a crutch for the stern to facilitate stepping the mast. I pull it with a Chevy 2500 diesel. Hardly know it is back there.
Old 01-11-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyhillbilly View Post
Husband, Wife, 16 yr old daughter, 13 yr old son, 3 yr old son. Need as much room as I can get. or so I think.
THIS is your biggest parameter, in more ways than one. If you want the whole family to enjoy sailing, you have to have a boat that fits your family, not your truck or your perceived rigging needs.
Don't work backwards, or you will end up sailing alone. Whoever advised you to buy a Catalina 22 didn't do you any favours.

You can always rent or buy a bigger truck, you can't replace your family.
As far as ease of rigging, we have to raise our mast every spring and drop it every fall for storage. Our local yard does it with their mast crane, and charges $150 each time. In fact, because of liability worries and overhead power lines, they won't let anyone else step the mast. If you join a club, often annual mast stepping is included in the cost, or is cheaper. Build a collapsible a-frame and a gin pole, and you can probably step a deck stepped mast yourself, with some assistance, on anything up to about 32'.

What is your anticipated budget for the next boat?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-19-2012

Kyhillbilly is on a distinguished road
Thanks to all who responded to my post. Lots of good advice and info for me. For now I am only in the planning stages of my next boat. The cat 22 will do ok for now but wanting to go bigger asap. Just trying to figure out what that boat will be. I currently have a houseboat that is 50 long and 14 wide from tip to end. with bar,fridge,canopy, and deck chairs to lay out in. When you look at sailboats, dam not much room. However, the dream of sailing on the coast or off to the caribbean and all the people experiences you will have along the way. That is the trade off. Lake = same views same people same stories every weekend. Not that that is a bad life love the lake and love the people there, just want to experience more in life. I really feel the 30' is a semi trailerable boat based on my research so far, its not something you want to tow for weekend put in water and haul back out but that is not my plan. Not many people would want to put the work or time in it would take to get boat rigged for water. For me, I would rather spend few xtra hours setting boat up for xtra space on my week long cruises. Little confused as to which boat is a safer boat, one poster stated that the 27 was a much safer boat in bigger water. Will be looking for more info on that and opinions as well. Thanks again to all who answered my post.
Old 01-19-2012

CapnBilll is on a distinguished road
I just went down this same road. I ended up with an Aquarius 23', really too small for what I wanted, but a good first beginning.

Here is a project boat I was looking at. Clipper Marine, 32', 1977, Panama City Beach, Florida, sailboat for sale from Sailing Texas

It is setup for trialering, with roller bunks. A civil engineer boat ramp, (there are a few) have long deep ramps, the average weekend fishing boat launch generally has only 10-12' of cement before you are in the mud in about 3' of water. A full keel boat is NOT going to be launched there.

If you are only going to bring the boat in and out once a year, it may be worth it to go ahead and launch at a marina/shipyard. $200.00-$400.00 a year that includes pressure wash and mast stepping, plus the option of a bottom job for +-$1000.00 more, and your boat is set until next year.

I looked at the bigger trailerable boats, but found the word trailerable is a broad word. If it takes 8 hours for 4 men to put up the rigging, it is not something you can do on a weekend. Also if there are only two ramps in the state you can launch from, thats not really an option either.

Keep the options coming, I am interested also. There has to be aa affordable boat that someone else has done this with. Seaworthy enough to make an island crossing, (100 miles from island to island), in good weather, but easy up mast, (there has to be a locking mast step with a hinge).

I saw a Balboa 26 with a swing keel that had a locking mechanism. A wing keel is also launchable on a ramp 36' draft, but same stability as a fin keel, (slightly less righting moment). Some shoal keels are also ramp launchable. The trick is either redoing the mast step or finding one with a hinge.
Old 01-19-2012

ftldiver is on a distinguished road
The Hake's are probably what I would look at if you want to launch on a ramp. the Clipper Marine's (from what I see and read), are also big 'trailerable' boats.

but I think the length and grade of the drop off should be investigated very carefully! I know in Florida there is often a 'stop' or cement block to stop trailers from rolling off the end. (not to mention the depth of water you'll need to float it.) -how stable is your lake level... lots of midwestern sailors got landlocked last few years... (drought)

if there are travel lifts in your area, and you only launch once a season, then you can look at fins keels, and if it costs you a day to setup and pull out, its worth it.

I own a 1988 macgregor 26, water ballast. cabin is biggest in its size, but probably not big enough for your clan, IMHO. But I will say is a big little boat, and sails well. (not the power-sailor type).
(I have Californian king size berth in stern.. but V berth is tight! -good for kids, not so much for larger teens.)

What macgregor does very well is the launch and retrieve systems. I pull into a ramp staging area, where cat22-25, precisions, etc... and I faster to splash the boat.

The newer macgregors (powersailors, X and latest M), have bigger cabins w/ standing head room, but they don't sail very well... but that may not be an issue. (if I were do to the great loop, the X or M would be on my list of candidates.)

The hunter 260 is also a WB boat, and pretty big cabin. and very nice... definitely worth a look, but I've heard they are a little too wide, and can get hit with tickets... if the police target them.

*I heard a rumor hunter is going to stop building their WB versions... not sure the reason... ??? anyone ???

Last edited by ftldiver; 01-19-2012 at 12:18 PM.
Old 01-19-2012
Banned

WDS123 is on a distinguished road
Ramp launching a 16,000 lb fixed keelboat ?

It is possible in theory, but you sure are going to want to work out every detail.

There are a handful of larger boats with moveable keels.

Columbia just launched their 32ftr w/ 10' beam- it is a bit of a rocketship, designed for Transpac - weighs only 3,800 lbs, retractable keel, easily ramp launched