Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2012
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
The Hunter 26/260 are very easily rigged and launched 'trailer sailers'. I put the mast of my H26 up and down by myself every season. They are water ballasted with a swing keel and a flip up rudder. Roomy for it's size, with an enclosed head (portapottie) and a two burner origo stove. Has an aft double, large vee berth, and the U shaped settee can be made into a double berth.

I saw one of the Seaward Eagle's at Lake Worth a few years ago, and it was a sharp looking boat.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-19-2012

anthemj24 is on a distinguished road
Old 01-19-2012
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road
I think this discussion boils down to two things:

1) Small boats can be trailered and trailer launched. Big boats can't, or shouldn't.

2) Big boats are much more expensive. There is just no way around that. You can keep costs under control, but, it will always be much more expensive to operate a 30' boat than a 22' trailer sailor.
Old 01-19-2012

rdw is on a distinguished road
Are you a member of Cave Run Sailing Association? It is a very good organization with good members and opportunities. Website CRSA Home Page.
Old 01-19-2012
Superior Sailor

Squidd is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barquito View Post
I think this discussion boils down to two things:

1) Small boats can be trailered and trailer launched. Big boats can't, or shouldn't.

2) Big boats are much more expensive. There is just no way around that. You can keep costs under control, but, it will always be much more expensive to operate a 30' boat than a 22' trailer sailor.
1. Big boats can be trailered and launched (within reason)... you just have to have the "right" boat, can't drag any old thing out of the harbor...

2. Yeah, more expensive, but it sure is nice to stand up when you pee...
Old 01-19-2012

Anaconda is on a distinguished road
I have a Noelex 30 which fits all the parameters you are looking for. Boat is for sale in Australia.To see what these boats are like search for Noelex 30 in Boatpoint website. These are a Bruce Farr designed 30 foot keelboat with a hydraulically retractable bulb keel. The boat is trailed on a tri axle trailer behind a Toyota Landcruiser at 3500kg for boat and trailer. The mast can be raised with an A frame and trailer winch singlehanded, it is easier to do singlehanded unless your assistant knows exactly what procedure is. With the keel and rudder locked down the boat will pass category 1 stability requirements. several years ago a Noelex 30 was a regular starter and finisher in the Sydney to Hobart yacht race.
I have just returned from several weeks cruising in Bass Strait and the Tasmanian coast with my three sons. Some of the passages were in 35 knot plus winds which the boat can comfortably handle. I have the boat set up as a "race" boat with all gear and systems functional and strong. However, it is a light displacement boat and feels much more comfortable in a safe anchorage with all the cruising boats when it is 50 knots outside.
I believe that the 30 foot trailable/retractable keel boat is the ideal boat for a family with kids where the boat is essentially a floating caravan. Pack a windsurfer on board so that you can sail to your hearts content when it is windy and leave the boat comfortably at anchor untill your kids get to the age that they make you take the boat offshore in 30 plus knots (or take you along for the ride).
Old 01-19-2012
Quirky

Sublime is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skygazer View Post
Hake Seaward Yachts,

Hake Yachts

The 32 ft is 10 ft beam, the 26 is 8ft 4in or so. I've never seen one, just read about them.

I love those boats! I'd buy one in a heart beat if I had the money. I already have a truck big enough to haul the 32. That is probably the biggest truly trailerable boat.

Some have mentioned the Hunter 260. I have one. You, a wife, a 13 y/o and a 3 y/o will probably be cramped on it after a week. It would be fine for a weekend, but a week? Probably not a good idea. Does everyone get along really really reeeeeeeaally well? Nobody snores?
The aft bunk can fit two adults. A kid could sleep on one of the side cushions. A normal sized adult could take the v-berth. The 13 y/o and 3 y/o sleeping in the v-berth would cause fights.

Also, it's not a boat you can take to the bahamas willy nilly. You need a good weather window. Sometimes that doesn't happen and it's not a boat to take through a storm out on the ocean.

No side decks so if you go forward, you're climbing up on top of the boat without handrails. It can be quite an adventure!

A ship in harbor is safe, but that's not why ships are built.

My girls:
1974 Alcort Minifish-Minifish
2001 Drascombe Lugger-Penelope
2004 Hunter 260-Miss Muffet
Old 01-22-2012

skygazer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by -OvO- View Post
And then you drove it down the highway?
OvO, if your question was directed at this photo, then yes, I drove it down the highway!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skygazer View Post
I had to work without power, so I chainsawed the the wood to fit the boat on site. The boat was on jackstands and I had to get it on the trailer myself, so I built a front support, backed under the boat, added rollers, and kept backing till I needed the rear supports. Balance point was a guess. A bit hairy at times, but all went well.

It handled very nicely, up and down New England hills and around sharp bends. The trailer brakes work. Nothing shifted. Of course, I levered up the supports and removed the rollers before setting out. I have a nice truck capable of towing a much larger load.

The photo is at my home, after I delivered it. It's now further back away from trees and tarped in with a clear tarp that makes it bright as day inside. I set the mast (supporting the tarp) up high enough to stand up in the cockpit.
Old 01-22-2012

buccaneer10 is on a distinguished road
Congratulations!

first on being a new sailor, and secondly for actually figuring out how to start a thread!!!!!!!! i am also new sailor(recovering powerboater) and have been trying to get help on my restoration but cant figure out how to thread,blog,chat,etc.!
Old 01-22-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnBilll View Post
That's the one I was thinking of - they also made an aft cabin version that would be better with 3 kids on board - at least a semblance of some privacy for Mom & Dad.

Despite being designed by Crealock, they aren't much of a boat AFAIK but they'd get the job done in the OP's unique set of circumstances.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.

Last edited by SloopJonB; 01-22-2012 at 10:58 PM.