Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2012

ericra is on a distinguished road
That's a lot of weight on surge brakes, I would feel a lot safer with elec. brakes. Thanks for the answer, I believe that 9000 lbs would be illegal in Europe.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-24-2012

CapnBilll is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
Hell, just launch it like my sister in law launches their 25' cabin cruiser - disconnect all tiedowns to the trailer, line everything up with someone on the boat, back down the ramp at 10 or 15 MPH until the tongue is in the water, hit the brakes - HARD. The boat just keeps on going and "launches" itself. I think rollers and not bunks are essential to the success of this maneuver.

It sure isn't the way I'd have done it but you cain't hardly argue with success.
I saw a picture of a boat that they hit the brakes a little early.
SloopJonB likes this.
Old 01-24-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyhillbilly View Post
The clipper marine 32 looks like it may be a good option, will have to research the boat more. The clipper for sell would be idea for what I am looking for if I where ready to buy a boat today. RDW, not a member of cave run sailing club yet but plan on joining this spring. The cat 22 I bought at caverun lake, went sailing at a few of the club races to see what the sailing was like at caverun, plenty good enough to get some experience and the people in the club really nice and willing to help out.
A few points about the Clipper - it was designed to be a maximum trailerable - 8' beam so no permits. It was designed by Bill Crealock - a VERY respected designer. It's very lightly built but that adds to its trailerability. It is no beauty and no rocket - its NorCal PHRF is 270 compared to the Catalina 30 at 180 - that's a minute and a 1/2 a mile slower on average. That's for the Clipper 30 - I believe the 32 is the same hull with a different lid. For comparison, most modernish 20 footers rate somewhere in the high 200's but boats like the offshore ready Rawson 30 are up around 300 as well. It WILL get you and your family sailing in some comfort for little money.

They are very cheap for a lot of room, they are perfectly adequate for lake & protected waters - this is demonstrated by the number still sailing. Keep in mind when reading postings on this or any sailing site - most of the posters use full offshore capability as their baseline when judging and commenting on boats "quality" and work back from there into the type of boat and sailing most of us have & do. Somewhat like using Benz or Porsche as the baseline for judging cars. By that sort of view, the Clippers ain't much. My experience is they are built to a similar quality to most economy, high volume "family style" power boats - Reinells and so forth. Not going to impress anybody but you'll get a lot of time on the water for very little money. You could buy a useable Clipper on a trailer, free & clear for about what my annual moorage costs. That leaves a lot of money for making a few improvements - new upholstery maybe? You get the idea.

They are nearly unique in that they were designed and built for EXACTLY the circumstances you describe as yours and I think one would suit very well until you can afford better.

P.S. The Bahamas - maybe, if you are very careful about the weather. The Caribbean, no unless you truck it to the Virgins (I presume there are some sort of ferries, short of freighters to the AVI?) and stay there
Flybyknight likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.

Last edited by SloopJonB; 01-24-2012 at 04:22 PM.
Old 01-24-2012

Kyhillbilly is on a distinguished road
Would like to know how you raise the mast, had a guy who trailered a 27 cat and raised/lowered mast with boom with hinge at bottom of mast. Thread on Catalina owners forum, very helpful info on that post for anybody looking for more info. Really like to have an 8' 10" beam as well, over width I know but don't think one will have much issue with DOT if pulled over, just a guess. Only 5" my900ss did you have to get permits or was it just not a issue?
Old 01-24-2012

redfishnc is on a distinguished road
I moved my Catalina 30 3 times, rig up rig down, rig up rig down. You get the pic. Had the hots for a trailer so I could move it myself. I know there are those who can do this faster but it was close 5-6 hours to get it rigged with crane and one Howard (a guy who knew what and how to do it). My thinking is there was nothing easy about moving a Catalina 30, a boat I really liked. Using suitable landings along the NC coast are rare, none close to my house in Wilmington. You use a lift and crane. By the way 5 people on a 30 footer for a week is going to be crowded before Sunday. Why not just put the 30 on the closest big lake and go sailing. Once the sails are up you won't care so much. Moving that 30 is gonna be work. Elec brakes and weight distributing hitch is not an option, it's the only way.

Last edited by redfishnc; 01-24-2012 at 10:02 PM.
Old 01-25-2012

Question that comes to mind, is that during my research to help me make the best choice possible, I have came across several people who travel semi regularly with a 27cat so I know it can be done. The mast weight and height difference between the two, is it that big of a difference so you draw the line at the 27 cat. How about the time to rig the boat. Redfish said 5-6 hours for a 30 footer what about a 27 footer shouldn't it be close to that same? Raising/lowering the mast really not a concern thinking I should have that part figured out with a A frame attached to trailer with cables for easy use. Got it figured out in my head anyways. But the 27 mast by some accounts did not use a a frame only the boom to lower it towards the front of the boat. Could be much faster and simpler. What I have is a lot of time to think and dream about my next boat, what I need is much more time and experience on and around sailboats to help connect the dots from paper to actual or visual information. All the info provided here is of great use because so many things to consider even if I had all kinds hands on I would still overlook some things. The length of docks and mud something had not considered, had way of getting boat deep enough in water to launch but didn't think about the rest.
Old 01-25-2012

My plans are to sail on the coast of Virgina and North Carolina. Anybody have any ideas of ramps where a person could launch a larger boat of this size.
Old 01-25-2012

my900ss is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyhillbilly View Post
Would like to know how you raise the mast, had a guy who trailered a 27 cat and raised/lowered mast with boom with hinge at bottom of mast. Thread on Catalina owners forum, very helpful info on that post for anybody looking for more info. Really like to have an 8' 10" beam as well, over width I know but don't think one will have much issue with DOT if pulled over, just a guess. Only 5" my900ss did you have to get permits or was it just not a issue?
Kyhillbilly... 8'6" is the limit in most states, thus 8'10" will not get you noticed. I did not have an issue as the widest part of the boat or trailer is darn near 10' off the ground. Good luck to a DOT or Highway Officer to measure that.

Given that this was the first time I had put the boat on a trailer, I just paid the boat yard the fee for the crane and had them lower it. I did the prep work and they lowered it. Maybe 20 min of crane time, very easy. I have seen plenty of videos on youtube where other people are raising and lowering a Catalina 25 or Catalina 27 mast. Does not look to be that complicated yet I have not attempted it myself... yet.

There was in the Marina where I had the boat docked in Richmond, CA a Catalina 25 to my port side and a Catalina 30 directly opposite my berth. The difference in size between the Catalina 25 and my 27 was not terribly large. The difference between the Catalina 30 and my Catalina 27 was significant. I would not want to try to tow that boat with a 1/2 ton truck.

Last edited by my900ss; 01-25-2012 at 07:53 AM.
Old 01-25-2012
Superior Sailor

Squidd is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidd View Post
I have a "transportable boat" not a trailer sailer by any means...big difference there and yes size is everything...The trailer, the pulling and the launching are the easy parts..get a big enough truck, trailer and lake and you can haul and launch the Queen Mary...

Stepping a 40' x 4"x7" mast and the proper rigging, tensioning and setup are not something you can do in an hour, in the parking lot , while in line for the ramp...[ or late on a Sunday afternoon before you drive home for work the next day)

It's a good half day job at least...the "smaller" purpose designed trailer sailers have shorter thinner lighter masts that are generally deck stepped and can be put up with a couple strong backs or proper rigging, gin poles A frames etc in a couple hours...but they were set up that way from the factory ...quick clips, hinged mast, minimal rigging (minimal space, minimal headroom, minimal performance but we're not here to talk about them)

A boat the size your talking can be "transported" but the proper set up, rigging and tuning has risen expotentially with the size of boat...You will need a crane, add acouple bucks and shorten your list of available landings...and/or you will need "major" setup on a self contained A frame lift,(your looking at 30' boom from trailer to mid point on mast) add a couple bucks, add a couple "more" hours to rigging time.( and tuning...this isn't quick clip snap and go stuff anymore...turnbuckles, tension adjustments, running rig, mast lights, wireing and electronics connections) Forget the "convienient" tree/bridge/overhang, and 4 big buddys they are not there when you need them...
I'm not trying to talk you out of a bigger boat purchase, just like no one was able to talk me out of one...Just be aware of the "scale" of the launch job your getting into...
You need to get your butt "on" a boat... look at the mast...wrap your hands around it and get a feel for how heavy it's gonna be with shrouds and spreaders and halyards swinging in the wind...

Stand at the base and look up.. See just how tall 30 some foot really is...then add another ten cause your up on a trailer...So how big is that A frame gonna be..? 9' wide at the base...no 9' wide 10' up to clear the boat and then tapers in...and dont forget to clear the spreaders...

I'm not trying to talk you out of a bigger boat purchase, just like no one was able to talk me out of one...Just be aware of the "scale" of the launch job your getting into...

You say you got it all figured out in your head...look at my earilest posts where "I" had it all figured out in my head and gonna cut the mast and add a hinge, build an A frame, etc...etc...

Then I got the boat and reality set in...
cb32863 likes this.

Last edited by Squidd; 01-25-2012 at 11:12 AM.
Old 01-25-2012

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough
Using an A frame to erect a mast on a Catalina 22 or 25 or even 27 is a whole different proposition from using an A frame to raise a mast on a C30. The A frame used for a C25, for example, is relatively light weight, and can be put in place fairly easily. An A frame that is strong enough to raise a C30 mast would be much heavier. Ditto for the "mast-up" that you'll also need. Also, to raise the mast you'll first need to carry the mast aft far enough so you can attach the base of the mast to the mast tabernacle. It's very difficult for one person to do with the much lighter C25 mast. It will be much more difficult to do with a C27, and virtually impossible to do with a C30. After the mast base is attached to the tabernacle, you'll have to lift the mast up perhaps 6 feet high, to lay it in the "mast-up." In short, it isn't just a wee bit more difficult to raise the mast on a C30. The difficulty of every step in the process increases exponentially. Moreover, just wait until you experience the thrill of sliding through a red light on wet streets with your brakes locked up, and your boat and trailer hitched to the back of your truck. I've done it, and it leaves you with a chill that lasts a long time. I can only imagine the intensity of the thrill if my boat had been a C30.

I cast my vote with those who suggest you get a bigger boat and leave it in the lake all summer, but charter, rather than trailer, when you want to go somewhere. My boat was a C25, and trailering it wasn't impossible, but, considering everything, it was difficult enough to discourage me from trailering it.