Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2012

skygazer is on a distinguished road
These are all good points......

So I want the biggest boat I can enjoy trailering and setting up.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-25-2012

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Get the boat you want,
Have a trailer made by somebody like Triad Trailer, Sailboat Custom Built Trailer - Triad Trailers, Inc.
Tow the boat with your truck,
Launch with a crane at a marina, Step the mast with the same crane.
You can tow it and stow it anywhere you want to, but to think that you are going to launch and step a fixed keel boat with 5' draft and 30+ foot mast all by yourself is very wishfull thinking.
ppiccolo1 likes this.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 01-26-2012

Kyhillbilly is on a distinguished road
Agree with squidd that I need much more hands on experience before making my decision which is what I have intended to do all along. The main purpose for me posting now is, I have got the sailing bug pretty bad. Think about sailboats all day, reading all the sailing magazines, dreaming like most I would think about sailing off to some island leaving the your land troubles behind. That is long term go to sail the caribbean in next ten years. For the now I want to gain as much knowledge as possible to help me make that decision a year or two from now. Skygazer, you ask how big can you go and enjoy the process with trailering and the setup. I really think that answer is going to be different for everybody. The tow weight of the boat/trailer, that will be what your truck can handle and what you can handle. 8000lbs lot of weight for some people not so much for others. Need top be sure both you and your equipment can handle the load. As for the setup, for me I would rather spend a few xtra hours setting up the boat and enjoy the trip in comfort rather than getting on the water ASAP. However, I am not planning on trailering but a few times a year with more than just a weekend planned for my trips. You also have to think about your ability to do the hands on tasks. Some people are able to do the hands on tasks required to setup the boat and get it in the water better than others. Common sense/ability to work with your hands apply here. What one person would feel is to much work may be very little work for someone else. You have to answer those questions for yourself. This is just my opinion. Looks as if the 27cat is about as far as any sane person would want to go. I am leaning very hard in that direction but don't intend to make any decision until I have more hands on experience in the next year or so. Things I am really going to be looking at is the weight/length difference in the mast of the 27/30, the rigging requirement for for the27/30, ability to launch a 27/30 on ramp. Just a few things that popped into my mind as I am typing this. In the end you just have to factor in all the parts decide where the happy medium is and go with it. Again just my opinion. I value all opinions and advice the people on sailnet have taken time to give to me and you need to take that info into account when making an informed decision however its your decision to make right or wrong you will be the first to know if it was the right decision for you.
Old 01-26-2012

Kyhillbilly is on a distinguished road
Never really thought to ask before but just what could a person expect to pay a marina to launch a boat and raise the mast and then lower the mast and place it back on the trailer?
Old 01-26-2012

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyhillbilly View Post
Never really thought to ask before but just what could a person expect to pay a marina to launch a boat and raise the mast and then lower the mast and place it back on the trailer?
It depends on the marina, but it's in the hundreds of dollars anywhere you go, and the bulk of that cost will apply each way. As I recall, about 10 years ago, I paid a marina over $200 just to launch my 25, and another $200 to hoist it back onto the trailer, and I had to raise the mast and rig it.

IMO, the biggest boat you can trailer and enjoy is about 22-23 feet. The weight makes it easy to tow without having to use a monster truck. A half ton pu will do just fine. Even a mid-size suv can tow it. I had a C22 with a swing keel, and, with practice, could launch it, rig it, and sail away in 30 minutes, with my wife's help and no A-frame or similar device. It was so easy that I frequently towed it to a lake, launched it, sailed a few hours, retrieved it and towed it home. Later, when I owned a 25' boat, towing, launching and rigging was so burdensome that I wouldn't even think about doing all that for a few hours of sailing. The difference between trailering, launching and rigging a 22 and 25' boat is night and day.

When a boat manufacturer says his boat is trailerable, take it with a big grain of salt. If the boat is over 22-23 feet, it can be done, but will probably not be as easy as he claims.
Old 02-01-2012

ppiccolo1 is on a distinguished road
Perfect thread! I'm in the same situation. I have a 3/4 ton suburban 454 that I pull my 32' travel trailer with and I want a sailboat for weekends on Lake Michigan in the Summer and full-time Florida winters. My budget is about $7,500 - $10,000, cash-in-hand. Suggestions? I will be single handing mostly with the occasional guest crew. My girlfriend has a 55 ft sea-ray, so I don't expect long visits... I'm looking 25/27. Suggestions?
Old 02-01-2012

INMA is on a distinguished road
I live in Australia where we have long distances between waterways so there is a healthy trailerable yacht market here.

Google Nolex 30, Robb Leg 28 or Farr B30 to look at some maxi trailerables.

I had a Southcoast Magnum 850 which is also a lot of yacht to drag around on the roads.

Note the three yachts above have fractional rigs which I believe are more suited to the lighter displacement trailerable rigs. Masthead rigs are inefficient and are a negative for a modern small yacht.

Americans have some great trailerables, the Hobbi 36 and Macgregor 36 come to mind as great sailboats although they are getting old.

Some may disagree but the Macgregor 26 power yachts have a place where sailors want to road and cruise with reasonable mobility. I have sailed on one and for most cruising situations it does the job.

I now have a Rob Legg 24 which weights in at about 800kg and suits my desire to move easily in a yacht that is efficient. My bottom line is I can easily tow rig launch and sail my yacht. I don't have to worry about crew, it takes me everywhere I want to go and my wife is happy with the destinations.

The RL24 accommodation is small, its a bit like living under a kitchen table, but we don't care. The cockpit is comfortable, between the boom tent and the bimini we are well protected and the drop keel and rudder let us get into places keel boats can only dream about.

Google Hill Inlet in the Whitsundays, that is one of my favourite destinations. Last trip to the Whitsundays we spent over 4 weeks cruising, most years we go to Paynesville, Gippsland Lakes which is truly trailer yacht heaven.

I appreciate the desire to go bigger and sail longer ocean passages, in my case I went smaller and am busy doing all the protected waters I can reach with my trailer in tow. The furthest I have travelled to sail was about 3000km North at Burdekin Dam (the weather on the coast sucked so we kept driving North and went inland).

Sailing is about attitude. If you think you need bigger to be happier then you need to rethink your attitude.
nccouple likes this.

Last edited by INMA; 02-01-2012 at 09:40 PM.
Old 02-03-2012

PontchatrainSailor is on a distinguished road
Take a look at some of the racing boats (Olson 30, Hobie 33 for overnighters, etc.) as they are light enough to be launched on most yacht club's cranes -- rather than the boatyards. Around here there is no charge for using the crane if your a member of the yacht club (or any club in the region). Most clubs have 2 ton cranes, some larger.

The other advantage of the two boats I listed above are: they are very sea worth (built for transpac), can be had very inexpensively, and go fast. The disadvantage is that there are little or no creature comforts. For instance the Olson has a good dry cabin with a v-berth and 2 bunks, but little privacy and no kitchen, etc.

There are some newer boats that are nicer (J/105 for instance), but it gets more expensive quick. Most newer racing boats are meant to be trailerable, but may not be able to be trailer launched.

The trailer launch item is your real limiting factor -- there are just no good options for a heavier boat.
Old 02-26-2012

rdubuque is on a distinguished road
I have a Parker Dawson 26. Very easy to launch and retrieve.
Center cockpit, aft cabin has 2 real berths, great cockpit. We have cruised for weeks with 4 aboard.

Easy to singlehand, and fun to sail

Bob

http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=2940

Parkerdawson.com - Index
Old 02-26-2012

skygazer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdubuque View Post
I have a Parker Dawson 26. Very easy to launch and retrieve.
Center cockpit, aft cabin has 2 real berths, great cockpit. We have cruised for weeks with 4 aboard.

Easy to singlehand, and fun to sail

Bob
Parkerdawson.com - Index
Interesting looking boat, your link did not work for me to sailboat data, a favorite site of mine. I removed it from the quote. Here is another link to sailboat data that seems to work:

PARKER DAWSON 26 sailboat on sailboatdata.com