Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2012

TractorJohn is on a distinguished road
Re: Largest Semi-Trailerable Sailboat ???

I may be getting in a little late since I've been absent awhile. But if I can help others, fine. I've been there and done that. Rather than mention all the obvious, I will point out problems I have had in no particular order.
you may run off end of ramp, I did once, there was a two foot drop off
your mast raising system may be heavy and very time consuming, Ive done a-frames, gin poles, high line systems and I've dropped masts, you should consider renting a cherry picker or man lift, getting boat positioned on trailer perfect will require guides-don't leave home without them, you must have a four wheel drive with low range to pull up a wet ramp, launching rigging, etc will take half a day minimum, much longer if you aren't any good, using a yard may cause you damage and they wont accept responsibility, hauling down the highway with or without permits is no problem, but make damm sure you have good trailer brakes, for once a season in and out I think the work is worth it, and having the boat at home is really nice in the off season, but for trailer sailing around the country a lot of the hassle goes away as you get smaller. TJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-19-2012

zeta is on a distinguished road

H260 will do most of what you want and you will be able to launch and retrieve at will. The money saved on launching/retrieving can be used to get into a motel every several days to give all a break. I do not believe any trailerable will give you the space you are looking for and all trailer boats will be a compromise. A Nor'Sea 27' will take you around the world, but it will be cramped also w/4. Back to the Hunter 260, it has a pretty good resale value if you decide to move up and you will not even notice it behind your truck. Spending $400/$500 just to get in and out of water will also basically leave you stuck at a location where-as with an easy launcher you can pack up in a few hours and be on the road to a different location at 65mph. Good Luck.

Last edited by zeta; 03-29-2012 at 01:03 AM.
Old 03-28-2012
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road

I live in Richmond, KY want to say hello! I would also like to know how big and what kinds of boats can be towed. Right now I have two 13 foot sailboats. Cave run is the best lake near us but the ramps have a good amount of grade. I just drive a ford ranger. Do you know of a ramp at cave run that is not steep? Please keep this thread alive. I would like to go big someday!
Old 07-19-2012

sail123 is on a distinguished road

Interesting thread. I have lurked from the fall of 2011, maybe it is time to jump in.

I was looking for a 32' sailboat, because of my marina, that had a max size of 32' for a slip.

Reading everything I could get my hands on, and all I really knew starting out my search was my 25' MacGregor was way smaller a sailboat than I was going to be comfortable with.

My boat was not going to go on and off the trailer much, once off and once off each season because of the Nebraska winters.

Needing to keep this a small as possible expenditure, I was only looking at used sailboats. I wanted to step the mast ourselves, and launch and recover as well. No desire to pay big marina fees at every turn.

A Hunter 30 is too large to go down the roads without permits, and putting one of those in and out of the water would be a major project that everyone involved (for us) would dread. A Catalina the same thing. The 32' boat even worse!

I happened upon a Clipper Marine 30 that got away, but not before I gave it a look over. I started studying that company, and learned they made a couple different 32's. The size boat I was looking for!

In the CM line, the 21, 23 & 26 and 30 has one level of rigging, and the 32's are built about 30% stronger. Not what one would call blue water, but many people do sail them in blue water if one is careful.

I located a 32 aft cockpit with a 1976 hull number in the spring, and purchased it over the phone. It was a little ruff, but sail-able. A week later, I located what I think of as my favorite sailboat, one I figured I would never find, a CM32 aft cabin, center cockpit, ketch. Try telling your wife, you just purchased a second 32' sailboat in a week!

The 32 are too big to take in and out of the water every weekend, IMHO. That would wear me out; A Mac 25, yes, but a 32 foot keel boat, is to much for that regularity.

For us, it is a start of season, launch, and end of season, recover, and at 32', no big deal for once a year.

We love our CM's They are super heavy duty compared to my Mac 25. Night and day differences as far as hull strength, deck strength. Yet, at about 7500 pounds on a trailer, it is still trailerable to a degree.

Someone suggested the Hake 32RK. That lists at $135,000 for the Biscayne model, and the Belair and Impala version I am sure is pushing $200,000. I do not know about you, but with the economy the way it is, the 1% may be able to justify an expenditure like that, but I cannot swing it.

I payed about $3,000 for my 32 aft cockpit, and I have a little more in my aft cabin. Including trailers! These boats are pretty rare these days, but they are there if one looks.

People that talk down these boats, really do not know what they are talking about. The designer of these boats, is quoted as saying, he was very proud of his Clipper Marine sailboats. One writer said, they were built hell for stout. Most of the people that criticise these boats, have never been near one, and only go by stupid things they have read, and now repeat.

If anyone was going to purchase a Clipper Marine, I would say, one of the best boats ever made, to do the job it was designed to do, trailer anywhere, and have lots of safe fun on the water.
Attached Thumbnails
Largest Semi-Trailerable Sailboat ???-57357u5.jpg   Largest Semi-Trailerable Sailboat ???-yjryury.jpg   Largest Semi-Trailerable Sailboat ???-hjkgkg12w.jpg   Largest Semi-Trailerable Sailboat ???-uyuyuyuyuyu.jpg  
ppiccolo1 and skygazer like this.

Last edited by sail123; 07-19-2012 at 09:07 PM.
Old 07-19-2012

skygazer is on a distinguished road

Nice post, thank you. I just came in and ate after finally stepping the mast on a Hunter 23 I've been working on. Rebuilt some of the interior, but only today tried to see if I had enough standing rigging to step the mast. On the trailer, hasn't been in the water in years. Trailer needs work also. Bought it from someone who never had it together or in the water. Lots smaller than yours! I never thought I wanted a Hunter, but I seem to be happy working on it. Sometimes I wonder if I like fixing sailboats almost more than sailing them, though of course I'd not be interested in fixing them if they didn't sail.

Thanks for sharing your experience. If I had a clipper bow I'd put a figurehead on it!
Old 07-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by skygazer View Post

If I had a clipper bow I'd put a figurehead on it!
Hunter's are sweet! Hunter's and Catalina's. If I had the cash to be in a H or C in a 32', that may be where I would be now. I was forced to be resourceful, and look for what was available.

I am replacing my bow pulpit next winter with a longer bowsprit so I can use a longer foresail / roller furling. Going to be adding about 3 feet. As it sails now, my mizzen almost over powers the balance. I am hoping more pressure in front of the keel, does not mess up the way she sails. Hoping it makes it a little better.

Will replace #2 1" stainless tubing with the longer #1 going out onto #3 giving me the look of #4. What could go wrong? lol

I will keep the mainstay I have now, adding a second one out front. I will have the first Clipper Marine Cutter Ketch that I know of.

Next winters project? Thinking about a sugar scoop.
Attached Thumbnails
Largest Semi-Trailerable Sailboat ???-4yw4yw7.jpg  

Last edited by sail123; 07-19-2012 at 11:57 PM.
Old 07-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail123 View Post
Hunter's are sweet! Hunter's and Catalina's. If I had the cash to be in a H or C in a 32', that may be where I would be now. I was forced to be resourceful, and look for what was available.
That's how I got the Hunter. I also looked at what was available - on a decent trailer. The trailer turned out to be the hard part, lots of boats around here in Maine. Lots of rust here as well, roads are salted, salt water, salt air.

Now that I have the Hunter I'm quite addicted to it. Of course, if it doesn't sail well out it goes. Meanwhile, I finished the Port side bunk and slept in there on the last few hot nights, cools faster than the house. I finished a small foot pump sink and stove so I can make coffee in there in the morning. I set up two solar panels and a single battery (should really have another) and have a tiny freezer so I can make ice cubes with solar power - the greatest achievement of modern technology - solar ice cubes for my drink on a hot summer day!

In "This Old Boat" Don Casey has a short discussion about changing rigging to a cutter set up. Seemed a lot more complex than I would have expected. Good book, I got mine for like $9 including shipping from Amazon. I expected a beat up paperback, but received a new looking hardcover.

I've found that raking my main (only) mast forward or back has a large effect on the helm. In my boat, I raked it back since I'd heard that was good for sail shape, but got terrible weather helm. I then raked it forward and got a nicely balanced helm, just a touch of weather helm and lots better sailing. Dragging that rudder through the water with weather helm slows you down.

Adding sail forward could give you lee helm, not good. I leave that stuff to the naval architects. That new pulpit and rigging sounds like it could double the cost of your boat. Pricey stuff! I consider you bold just for thinking of doing it.
Old 07-20-2012

If nothing else, it will give her a little more tongue weight, rarely a bad thing in a sailboat going down the highway. Lol

I will keep the original mainstay point and add a second one so I can keep the original configuration for a storm jib and a another jib in jib bags. I already have the Harken roller furling and sail, so no cost there. The extended bow pulpit safety rail I already have. Cost should not be too bad to bring it all together, doing all the work myself.

I have contacts with the designer that worked with Crealock. He has all the original plans. I may pay him to do a little number crunching and tell me how best to proceed of if I just will not function.

I will get on amazon and order that book.
Old 07-20-2012

Sounds like you are using good judgment! I adjust tongue weight by moving the load forward or back. I weigh the tongue weight on a cheap bathroom scale, by using a 5 ft. beam and two blocks. One block is one foot away from the tongue and carries most of the weight. The other block is four feet away and has the scale on it and the beam on the scale. I weigh the (1/2) beam, then let the tongue down on the 4ft. away point. Whatever I get on the scale, I subtract the empty weight and multiply by four. This gives half the tongue weight if I'm remembering correctly, I usually know for sure by the time I do it. I'm using leverage to reduce the weight on the scale. I can have up to 1500 lbs. tongue weight on my truck. The blocks make the tongue on the beam the height of my hitch, I do it on level ground.
Old 07-20-2012

The tongue weight was all tongue in cheek. She already pulls down the road nicely.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.