Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2012

dem45133 is on a distinguished road
Re: Largest Semi-Trailerable Sailboat ???

Hello all.

Well, very interesting thread and its good to see I am not the only crazy handy type out there that has the "sure I can, watch me" attitude. I've had a 27 foot shoal draft on a custom bunker-ed triple axle trailer I built for it for 5 years. On-trailer mast raising system. But this shoal draft doesn't sail all that well... was outboard powered, tiller transom mounted rudder, and weekend only quarters. Slept 6 though. Good boat to learn on at our local lake. and like you all, it came home over the winters and on two seasons where I was working away in NM. There really no water in NM to speak of, so I left it home in the shed. It didn't eat a thing over two years. But I wanted to upgrade... started looking and thinking.

Last week I bought a full fin keeled (4'9" draft) 30 ft Seafarer. It has all the upgrade features I wanted... a pedigree hull design, wheel pedestal helm, inboard diesel, full live-aboard systems all functional (H and C pressurized water, real head, shower, 10,000 btu AC, full 110 and 12vt systems, full galley including oven) under hull rudder.

Before buying, I did some calcs and it will fit on the trailer and be less than 13'6" high. Its a 10' beam so I need a wide load permit, but since I did OTR in a semi for three years quite some time ago, I could care less. Its 8900 lb displacement, give or take a little, plus trailer comes in at 12k... so I am good to go on my 1 ton diesel 4x4 dully design limit of 21k and the hitch system's 12k. I'll be adding an exhaust brake and a 4th axle just to have a fully cold brake set in reserve as well as another set of 4500 lb springs to aid in roll stability. The main three 4500 lb axles all are e braked.

I will be modifying the trailer with a slide out 14' tongue extension out of 6x6 1/4 wall square tube with grade 8 1" locking pins to get a bit deeper on ramps and that will enable that. Will not have to unhook. It'll operate sorta like the sliding tandems on a semi. Set the trailer brakes, release the lock pins, and extend or collapse it with the truck.

Designing up a multi section pivoting mast system as its mast is much more robust, longer and heavier than the 27's. Not fully sure yet on all the details, but it will be live operated on the boat without having to un-stay. I want it to collapse at the push of a button or a couple levers to 18" above the cabin for trailering and low bridges. Now, a few of you are saying..."you can't do that"... yea I can... conceptual design is 90%. I have a full shop with machine tools. So far I haven't found a show stopper, I'm pretty sure I'll figure it out. The reason it can stay stayed is that the mast head can track mostly straight down until about the half way point at which it moves aft. It'll have a 3" cam lift at the bottom which in the raised position is tensioning the stays. Released, it lowers the mast and allows for the pivot points to temporarily elongate the mast at the initial pivot movements. After that it won't matter.

Don't worry I'm not cutting my mast until I have a full size working system setup and tweaked out of the same size/dimensions/weight. Yea it'll be a project... but I've have many complicated projects... very few idea failures, but it can happen.

I also have thought about a few Mods to the boat to help with my wife's back issues. A lift between the cockpit and the cabin floor for one. A hard top over the cockpit is a given... not interested in baking in the sun. Considering adding a mizzen and making it a yawl config. The mizzen doubles as a derrick very easily.

Oh yea, Hello Eagle River WI... spent lots of time on the Chain-of-Lakes and its where my father and grandparents hail from (and are buried there in ER). (grandparents were in Sugar Camp to be precise on HY17) Spent a third of my life there and a lot of partying when there was a bar every couple miles and on every lake (early and mid 70s). You had to be pretty loaded back then get a DWI and you had to display a reason to be stopped. Never did. Back then there was more bears and deer on the road than cars. Id drive 55 miles home from my girlfreind's house way east of town and have one stop sign and one light (in ER) all the way home to Sugar Camp and maybe meet two cars. I can tell you that coming up at 90 or 95 mph on a 500 lb black bear ambling slowwwwwlllly across HY17 WILL heat up the brakes and make you pucker a little. He really doesn't give a hoot about you! You do not want to hit one of them at speed, or any speed for that matter. Its all different now and 3/4 of the bars are likely gone. Bar hopping is what we all did every Friday and Saturday night. Bear watching was also a Saturday night pastime out at the dump. Likely still is. For those of you too young to know this was before the national 55 mph speed thing and the speed limit was 70 day 65 night. Routinely cruised 90+. Miss those days, open good roads, no radar guns, big block V8s and no people or traffic.... just you and the road and yea a bear now and then.

Well I've rambled on long enough.. you all have fun now...

Later.
Dave

Last edited by dem45133; 08-03-2012 at 11:22 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-04-2012

skygazer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem45133 View Post
Last week I bought a full fin keeled (4'9" draft) 30 ft Seafarer. It has all the upgrade features I wanted... a pedigree hull design, wheel pedestal helm, inboard diesel, full live-aboard systems all functional (H and C pressurized water, real head, shower, 10,000 btu AC, full 110 and 12vt systems, full galley including oven) under hull rudder.

Before buying, I did some calcs and it will fit on the trailer and be less than 13'6" high. Its a 10' beam so I need a wide load permit, but since I did OTR in a semi for three years quite some time ago, I could care less. Its 8900 lb displacement, give or take a little, plus trailer comes in at 12k... so I am good to go on my 1 ton diesel 4x4 dully design limit of 21k and the hitch system's 12k. I'll be adding an exhaust brake and a 4th axle just to have a fully cold brake set in reserve as well as another set of 4500 lb springs to aid in roll stability. The main three 4500 lb axles all are e braked.
Wow, haven't finished my first cup of coffee, so I'm not sure if this is one of those crazy full moon dreams. Or am I awake, and Dave you are really making a 30ft Seafarer (great brand in my book) boat into a "trailer sailer". Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem45133 View Post
3/4 of the bars are likely gone. Dave
Did you mean 3/4 of the bars, or 3/4 of the bears are gone?

Thanks for a most interesting post. I'm still working on my "bit of a wreck" Hunter 23 with a wing keel on a trailer. I'm at the point where I just want to fix the minimum and put it in the water (maybe today?) before our short Maine summer is over. See if it sails. I need to get it off the trailer so I can work on that, and be free to travel to the ocean or big lakes.

How about a bit more on the exhaust brake on the trailer? I don't know anything about it.

Edit: Upon reflection, how do you set the brakes on the trailer, don't you have to unhook the electrical connection to the truck to extend 14ft of trailer tongue?

Last edited by skygazer; 08-04-2012 at 07:07 AM.
Old 08-04-2012
Legend in my own mind.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road

I launched this at our "standard" non steep ramp... without a trailer extension, without "strap launching." The truck's tow capacity is #13800, this is "light" compared to the full up Living Quarters Horse trailer I tow (that is #12000).

My point? You can launch nearly anything given the right ramp.

If you want a really nice, hearty, large, trailerable, I'd still say seaward: Hake Yachts 32RK
Hull #68 S2 7.9 on our little landlocked puddle, Lake Wallenpaupack, PA, it's cheap, trailerable, and paid for.
Old 08-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by skygazer View Post
Wow, haven't finished my first cup of coffee, so I'm not sure if this is one of those crazy full moon dreams. Or am I awake, and Dave you are really making a 30ft Seafarer (great brand in my book) boat into a "trailer sailer". Awesome!

Did you mean 3/4 of the bars, or 3/4 of the bears are gone?

Thanks for a most interesting post. I'm still working on my "bit of a wreck" Hunter 23 with a wing keel on a trailer. I'm at the point where I just want to fix the minimum and put it in the water (maybe today?) before our short Maine summer is over. See if it sails. I need to get it off the trailer so I can work on that, and be free to travel to the ocean or big lakes.

How about a bit more on the exhaust brake on the trailer? I don't know anything about it.

Edit: Upon reflection, how do you set the brakes on the trailer, don't you have to unhook the electrical connection to the truck to extend 14ft of trailer tongue?

No your not dreaming. I'm really planning to make the trailer hold the Seafarer. I have 2 months to get it out of its free slip in Baltimore. Picked up an old set of running gears for a farm wagon the other day... making a cradle for the old 27 to transfer it off the main trailer and free it up. This way when I do find a buyer for it they can winch it up on a rented car hauler and take it home. I'll make the bow a little high so it can overhang a normal pickup.

Both the bars and the bears (the Black Bear type... cops are there in a stronger force then ever I hear) are gone I think. Haven't been up home to ER in a long time, at least 15 years. Nope, that's a true story from 1973. 1969 Dodge Coronet (Super Bee cousin) drum brakes heat up FAST at high speed. Discs were barely invented yet. Only a few very high end cars had em then.

I'll build a "extension cord" for the trailer electrical for extending the tongue.

Exhaust brake on the trailer????? Maybe I should have worded that better... the exhaust brake is an butterfly type orificed baffle just behind the turbo that blocks the exhaust flow and creates about 60 psi in back pressure on the engine, creating additional resistance to hold back on long downgrades. Its a retarder brake sorta like a Jake Brake on a semi... but a totally different method than the Jake.

The Seafarer displaces ~9000, actually maybe 10k with all the liveaboard systems, trailer weighs ~ 3000. Truck (2001 Dodge 3500 HO cummins 6sp 4x4 dually) about 7200. Not sure what your pulling your 12 k with, but please be careful especially on long downgrades. 10 miles (yes ten miles) of 6% downgrade holding back 12k with only the brakes, and only one or two trailer brakes will fry your all the service brakes if your not holding back with the drive line somehow. If you have a gas engine and can let it windup some in a lower gear you'll get more retarding that the slower turn Cummins diesel will. All fine and dandy in the flat of the Midwest... But there is a lot of 5 and 6% grades between here and Baltimore. DO NOT take those long steep grades lightly!!! The run-out ramps for the semi's are there for a reason. Gravity is a unrelenting unforgiving SOB!

Added a couple pictures. The blue one is my current 1978 bayliner Buccaneer, the green one the Seafarer. Never did get time to paint that trailer, but because I'm going east into Kastopo (sp?) Land I think I will this time. Not planning all that serious of trailer mods other than the tounge extension system... I'll raise the bunkers about three feet (everything is fully adjustable BTW). I designed the triple axles as a bolt in slider (six 3/4" grade 8 bolts)... after a 192 holes I drilled (including the pilots) it can move back and forth about 6 ft at 6" intervals for weight balance. I'll add some to its subframe for the forth axle. It will be independent of the brake controller and hard wired to full 12 volt as an "always cold full on emergency brake" with the flip of a switch. All four axles have brakes... can't have too many.
Attached Thumbnails
Largest Semi-Trailerable Sailboat ???-17-trailer-project-bunkers-bow-post-getting-closer-fall-07.jpg   Largest Semi-Trailerable Sailboat ???-25-pulling-270-fall-08-note-poor-mans-float-guides-worked-well-trailer-reall.jpg   Largest Semi-Trailerable Sailboat ???-seafaer-30-1.jpg   Largest Semi-Trailerable Sailboat ???-3500-post.jpg  

Last edited by dem45133; 08-04-2012 at 10:14 AM.
Old 08-28-2012

sail123 is on a distinguished road
Rereading several posts in this thread, I find myself shaking my head.

First off, there is no such thing as a poorly designed William Crealock sailboat. About the Clipper Marine line, his work partner for many years, also a gentleman named Bill, tells me William was "Very Proud Of His Clipper Marine Sailboats. ".

Most people that take the time to post a negative post in a Internet forum, have never seen one up close, and are only repeating jibber ish from other people in forums that also have no first hand experience with these fine water craft.

Personally, I would never bad mouth a sailboat I have never sailed, never owned, and know little about. One comment was the 32 and the 30 were the same boat with a different top. Nothing could be farther from the truth. The differences in these two distinct sailboats are many, including hull molds.

No one sailboat holds the key to everybody's ideal sailboat design. That is accepted. However, as I read sailboat forums and see people posting false statements about any sailboat for others to read and assume the information is true, really ticks me off deep inside.

Find a CM 32 in good repair, and you have found a William Crealock design well deserving the heritage. All William Crealock Clipper Marines are well built trailer sailboats able to go from land to water and back to land again with ease and grace.

I am dammed well proud of my CM 32 aft cabin center cockpit ketch. She is one of the better looking yachts in any marina for a fraction of the money others have in their 30 foot class boats

In my opinion, William Crealock hit a home run out of the park with the CM 32, in both the aft cabin and aft cockpit models. I own them both, and they are proud almost 40 year old sailboats, still going strong.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-29-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

Sail,

Something is telling me this rant about crealock design boats does not belong here! I do not see anywhere where any one knocked one of his boats. In fact, they were not mentioned too much in this thread frankly!

Marty
Old 08-29-2012
John

ImASonOfaSailor is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via MSN to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Yahoo to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Skype™ to ImASonOfaSailor

just get one of these! View Boat Photos - YachtWorld.com

licensed OUPV/6-pack
Great Lake Erie, Marine State Park

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"""Here's a toast to you on the coast and the sailors out at sea Drink your ales, hoist your sails Ride the windssssssssss and think of me,,,,,,,,,, 'cause Oh I wish I was there tonight"""
Old 08-29-2012
Superior Sailor

Squidd is on a distinguished road

Hey Dave... Go For It...

Eagle River still alive and well and even in these times has the "very Small town" attitude and feel to it...

Been here 35 years (back to the "Barefoot Charlie" days) So maybe we ran across each other back then...

Quote:
its good to see I am not the only crazy handy type out there that has the "sure I can, watch me" attitude.
Old 08-29-2012

vtsailguy is on a distinguished road

I might offer a slightly different viewpoint on trailerable boats.

I have an O'Day 28 swing keel and a trailer for it. It weighs 8000lbs and I can just pull the whole thing with my Tundra.

Great boat, lots of room, sleeps my family of 5, have been cruising for a week at a time on it.

But here is the thing, I won't be launching it from a ramp. In fact, its a keel stepped mast, which I need done at a yard. While at it, I just get them to launch with a lift. Takes 5 minutes and $200.

But, I really have no intention in driving all over. My reasons for having a trailerable boat are that I live 1.5 hours from the lake and in a snow state. I can bring it home, save storage costs, work on it in comfort and cover it in style. Next year, I might go to the sea and spend a season there.

I wanted something trailerable so I could winter it at my home *and* have the option to try new waters for a season at a time.

Three mini-pirates scour the Caribbean Seas with stops for ice cream and legos
Latest blog post:
Old 08-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtsailguy View Post
I might offer a slightly different viewpoint on trailerable boats.

I have an O'Day 28 swing keel and a trailer for it. It weighs 8000lbs and I can just pull the whole thing with my Tundra.

Great boat, lots of room, sleeps my family of 5, have been cruising for a week at a time on it.

But here is the thing, I won't be launching it from a ramp. In fact, its a keel stepped mast, which I need done at a yard. While at it, I just get them to launch with a lift. Takes 5 minutes and $200.

But, I really have no intention in driving all over. My reasons for having a trailerable boat are that I live 1.5 hours from the lake and in a snow state. I can bring it home, save storage costs, work on it in comfort and cover it in style. Next year, I might go to the sea and spend a season there.

I wanted something trailerable so I could winter it at my home *and* have the option to try new waters for a season at a time.
Ditto on all all but one. After what it just cost to have the new boat towed to a marina properly (not a single boat tow that was offered by someone that I did not know (previous owner), I elected to have US Boat and Tow do it... $550 but worth the peace of mind, and another couple hundred to pull clean (years worth of growth on the Chesapeake) and block until I can get there with the trailer, I want to have the ability to NOT pay marinas. It'll take some engineering and building, but I also want to be able to lower the mast underway say for a low bridge. I also do not want to unstay either. Lot of custom engineering and the milling machine will get a little exercise I'm sure. But I believe I can do it. Still designing, but I have a lot of other things to do on it first.

Dave

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.