Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2012

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
Many of the early American small craft were planked with different sub species of White Pine or White Cedar but the interesting aspect of this is that these old growth trees have almost no parallel to what you can get your hands on now. When the boat builders of those days chose vertical grain softwoods to build a boat, the qualities such as strength and durability were, I believe, very different from what can be expected from these same species today if you can even get them. I found some very old vertical grain Red Cedar to build my Guideboat which made a very pretty boat but my first choice was White Cedar. There seems to be nothing of reasonable quality to be had in long lengths.
This is VERY true. There's a big difference in both the look and mechanical properties of old growth vs. new growth woods. It's why so much wood is salvaged from old factories today for use in restoring historic homes. Old growth wood is a completely different animal.

But to get back to Jedneck's original question, a 21 footer isn't a liveaboard cruiser so the interior isn't going to see the same kind of use. If you can get white cedar inexpensively I'd say go for it.

ďIf a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-12-2012

JedNeck is on a distinguished road
Thanks everyone...I didn't know what I didn't know.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook