Reality at Sea - For Cruisers, Singlehanders, and Normal People. - Page 15 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree337Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2012
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road
Thanks Smack! Good stuff! Stimulating!

Down
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-12-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
No worries flood. Actually, I had the stopper knot thing happen to me and came within maybe 30 feet of being on the rocks.

Some friends had taken the boat out a week or two before and had, for whatever reason, untied the knots in the jib sheets. I didn't check them before we went out. We got hit with a serious blast of wind in a very tight channel, wife lost the sheet in a tack, it pulled through the block and went in, and we started heading broadside to the rocks.

I grabbed the lazy sheet which had thankfully hung up and tried to get it around the winch so try to claw away...no luck. I pulled the lost sheet from the water - but was out of time. We had maybe another 30 seconds before things got crunchy.

Luckily the motor started first pull (which was never a given) and we clawed off.

I'm now pretty good at checking those knots (but I'm sure there's lots of other stuff I'm NOT checking - that I WILL be after it bites me).
On my jib sheets I tie them to a open base cleat near the sheet winch. Then if the sheet is lost off the winch it is a simple job to get it back on. Seems if I used a stopper knot the sheet would jam in the block and I might need to go on deck to get the sheet back. Am I missing somthing here?
Old 01-12-2012
Back to just the Jon boat

therapy23 is on a distinguished road
Can someone explain to me what happens when one is hove to with a parchute off the stern?

I am still baffled by this.

Thanks.
Old 01-12-2012

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
On my jib sheets I tie them to a open base cleat near the sheet winch. Then if the sheet is lost off the winch it is a simple job to get it back on. Seems if I used a stopper knot the sheet would jam in the block and I might need to go on deck to get the sheet back. Am I missing somthing here?
There is usually a turning block near the cockpit to ensure the angle of the sheet to the winch is correct. The stopper knot would prevent the sheet from going through that block. You should be able to reach the sheet from the cockpit.

Not a hijack, but in my experience the double overhand is a much better stopper than the figure 8.
smackdaddy and groggy like this.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 01-12-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
I don't know. You're right, the stopper knot does hang in the block - and you have to draw in the line ahead of the block to bring the sheet back in (which means you need to head up to ease the pressure on the sail, which can be hard to do if you've lost the drive of the headsail, etc.). My biggest problem when I lost that sheet was that since it was not in the block, it was really hard to control over-wrapping with the winch. I couldn't trim.

(*One other thing...we used to only use the genny blocks on side deck tracks (directly to the winch). We do have turning blocks aft of the winches, but didn't really know how to use them at the time the above happened. With the turning blocks and a stopper knot, you still have plenty of line at the cockpit to work with as opposed to the sheet running out all the way to the genny block.)

So maybe your option is better if you have open cleats. Salts? Any tricks?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 01-12-2012 at 12:23 PM.
Old 01-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
There is usually a turning block near the cockpit to ensure the angle of the sheet to the winch is correct. The stopper knot would prevent the sheet from going through that block. You should be able to reach the sheet from the cockpit.

Not a hijack, but in my experience the double overhand is a much better stopper than the figure 8.
I have no turning block, the sheet can go directly to the winch at a proper angle.

Last edited by casey1999; 01-12-2012 at 12:23 PM.
Old 01-12-2012

misfits is on a distinguished road
What a good guy!
You could really see the fatigue setting in with the 3rd video.

Thanks for putting this up here

Bob
ftldiver and drakeParagon like this.
Old 01-12-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
I have no turning block, the sheet can go directly to the winch at a proper angle.
Here's a photo that shows our block/primary set up...back when we were NOT using the turning blocks as you can see (i.e. - before I finally figured it out this past summer after racing on another boat!).

You can see that if you run the sheet through that turning block, then have a stopper knot, you'll still have plenty of line to work with from the safety of the cockpit. Otherwise, you have to go forward to the genny block (probably the wrong name but whatever) to clear.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 01-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Here's a photo that shows our block/primary set up...back when we were NOT using the turning blocks as you can see (i.e. - before I finally figured it out this past summer after racing on another boat!).

You can see that if you run the sheet through that turning block, then have a stopper knot, you'll still have plenty of line to work with from the safety of the cockpit. Otherwise, you have to go forward to the genny block (probably the wrong name but whatever) to clear.
That makes sense.
Old 01-12-2012

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
Jack Ė I have a SS bucket that my dad picked up in Mexico. With a lanyard, it is very easy to scoop up water in almost any sea state. Itís great for collecting puke as well as washing out the cockpit/coaming/weather decks when victim canít quite clear the side of the boat. It is readily accessible in a stern lazarette. When day sailing or harbor hopping, we make available the plastic lined wastepaper basket in the head. That way we can dispose of the puke on shore at the end of the day and it doesnít stink up the cabin (very similar to your zip lock baggie method).

The big difference between us is we do not normally take out newbies so our risk of mal de mare is fairly low. Therefore, we do not have to issue baggies though we do have a couple of purloined airline barf bags onboard (mainly as jokes). My wife is especially good at spotting the signs of early onset sickness and we never have had a real accident down below. Weíve been pretty lucky insomuch we havenít had any seasickness during the past ten years on the boat (touch wood). However, on one trip down the coast, the victim elected to bypass the bucket and wastepaper basket and proceeded to clog up the sink in the head. I was not able to work on the clog until we got down to Morrow Bay. Not much fun having a stinking head for a couple of days!