Reality at Sea - For Cruisers, Singlehanders, and Normal People. - Page 15 - SailNet Community
 361Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #141 of 375 Old 01-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Here's a photo that shows our block/primary set up...back when we were NOT using the turning blocks as you can see (i.e. - before I finally figured it out this past summer after racing on another boat!).

You can see that if you run the sheet through that turning block, then have a stopper knot, you'll still have plenty of line to work with from the safety of the cockpit. Otherwise, you have to go forward to the genny block (probably the wrong name but whatever) to clear.
That makes sense.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #142 of 375 Old 01-12-2012

Jack Ė I have a SS bucket that my dad picked up in Mexico. With a lanyard, it is very easy to scoop up water in almost any sea state. Itís great for collecting puke as well as washing out the cockpit/coaming/weather decks when victim canít quite clear the side of the boat. It is readily accessible in a stern lazarette. When day sailing or harbor hopping, we make available the plastic lined wastepaper basket in the head. That way we can dispose of the puke on shore at the end of the day and it doesnít stink up the cabin (very similar to your zip lock baggie method).

The big difference between us is we do not normally take out newbies so our risk of mal de mare is fairly low. Therefore, we do not have to issue baggies though we do have a couple of purloined airline barf bags onboard (mainly as jokes). My wife is especially good at spotting the signs of early onset sickness and we never have had a real accident down below. Weíve been pretty lucky insomuch we havenít had any seasickness during the past ten years on the boat (touch wood). However, on one trip down the coast, the victim elected to bypass the bucket and wastepaper basket and proceeded to clog up the sink in the head. I was not able to work on the clog until we got down to Morrow Bay. Not much fun having a stinking head for a couple of days!
post #143 of 375 Old 01-12-2012
Senior Smart Aleck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
...That doesn't change the fact that your comments towards that woman were intentionally mean-spirited...
Sorry, Dude, did not mean to insult your wife...
post #144 of 375 Old 01-12-2012
Sunsets and Warm Beer....

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Have a look at those white caps! Was the drogue deployed?

1971 23' Oday Pop Top
S/V Frida

You can't steer a boat that isn't moving? Just like a life - P. Lutus
post #145 of 375 Old 01-12-2012
Swab

Speaking of sleep deprivation...

Damn! I stayed up 'til I was getting dingy last night on this thread. Now it looks like it will take me half the morning to catch up!

I subscribed to Drake's YouTube Channel last night. There are several lessons we all can learn from this video series and from this thread. I have not looked at all his stuff but I am sure it is worth watching. Thanks to Drake for letting us learn from his experiences and thanks to smackdaddy for starting this thread.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #146 of 375 Old 01-12-2012
Tundra Down

I share Therapy's question RE: dragging a chute off the stern while hove to. It worked for him. I guess he was trying to slow down his progress. Seems like it might have been more effective rigged to a bridle to windward?

Down
post #147 of 375 Old 01-12-2012

Smack....Thanks for posting

Drake....I think you did a great job. In handling the situation. And in being open enough to share the good and bad. It would be easy to have skipped your screw-ups and only presented the good stuff. That's what most people would do, but we arm chair sailors, newbies, and wantabes learn most from the screw-ups. As to screw-ups, we all make them...not checking out the windvane carefully before hand, not having stopper knots in sheets, not having a ditch bag ready, and having an accidental jib with preventer failure...were yours, but if we were all truthful, each of us have done similar things or worse.

In my opinion, you did the right thing to undertake the tow....yes, there was potential for damage and injury. But it would take a cold hearted person to leave a disabled vessel at sea, or put the other captain in the position that if he wanted rescue, he would have to lose/abandon his vessel.

I looked at Drake's boat in the videos, and to me, it seemed well built and equipped, and well maintained and outfitted. Better than many that I see undertaking open water passages.

Cha Cha Skipper....something doesn't square here. Great glowing credentials, but undertakes a long open water passage with no money and in a boat in disrepair. The term "Big hat and no cattle" seems to fit him.

We Posters......For those of us who have been critical of Drake's actions, I wonder if we aren't in a state of self denial. Maybe we don't want to own up to the fact that fatique takes a massy toll when single handing for days around the clock and still believe we would keep a clear mind and be fully functional. Maybe we are saying to ourselves, Drake's difficulties come from errors that I don't make and that I would have done better in the situation. But aren't we kidding ourselves? And if we kid ourselves thus, we haven't learned a thing.
post #148 of 375 Old 01-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC320 View Post
Smack....Thanks for posting
I looked at Drake's boat in the videos, and to me, it seemed well built and equipped, and well maintained and outfitted. Better than many that I see undertaking open water passages.

Cha Cha Skipper....something doesn't square here. Great glowing credentials, but undertakes a long open water passage with no money and in a boat in disrepair.

I am also looking at the rest of Drake's you tube videos- they are great. Drake, thumbs up.

As for the Cha Cha, what were their plans- heading to Bermuda with no money- I understand that place is pretty expensive. How can you go cruising with no money?
drakeParagon likes this.

Last edited by Faster; 01-12-2012 at 07:29 PM. Reason: fixed quote
post #149 of 375 Old 01-12-2012
Sunsets and Warm Beer....

I see drake lurking!

1971 23' Oday Pop Top
S/V Frida

You can't steer a boat that isn't moving? Just like a life - P. Lutus
post #150 of 375 Old 01-12-2012
Call me Ishmael

Quote:
Originally Posted by therapy23 View Post
Can someone explain to me what happens when one is hove to with a parchute off the stern?

I am still baffled by this.

Thanks.
I had the same question. I am not sure if hove-to accurately describes the way his vessel was riding (he mentions that he was traveling at 3kn -- and not DDW since he changed from NE drift to SW drift when he tacked). The severe heel also does not seem indicative of a boat heaving-to well. Maybe Drake will comment about that at some point . . ..

I want to add my thanks to Drake for posting the videos and to Smack for starting the thread. Drake's directness and honesty throughout the videos really makes them a pretty great contribution to the library of info available to noobs and dreamers. I recently returned from my first offshore trip (2up) during which we experienced a freakish number of the same issues which Drake faced. Well done. Thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.