Reality at Sea - For Cruisers, Singlehanders, and Normal People. - Page 25 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree313Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2012
Life is a wild ride!

Dean101 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by drakeParagon View Post
Hi Dean101,

Thank you! My impression was always that my Westsail 32 was hove to better with the backed staysail... I also remember that she would ride much smoother with the staysail backed as much as possible.. I even ended up using a 3 part purchase block and tackle between the staysail clew and a stanchion base to bring the staysail as close to windward as possible.. but that's just my experience with my particular boat.. not necessarily what I'd recommend on other boats..

I'm not sure if having a bigger or smaller parachute would have a made a difference.. I think that the construction was just too light... With military surplus parachutes I also worry that they parachute might just collapse and get fouled in the water without me realizing it... That did happen to me once..

Just before I sold my Westsail 32 I purchased a Gale Rider drogue made mostly of webbing and was impressed by how good the construction seemed. I couldn't imagine it being ripped apart or getting fouled.. But I never got to use it..

It was really hard to not damage the JSD cones in the jib sheet winch when retrieving it, and i did end up having to sew quite a few of them back together.. I'm awestruck by HAL Roth's JSD Retrieval idea that I see in smackdaddy's last post here... I can't imagine that the cones could get damaged in my anchor bow roller or windlass.. WICKED COOL!!! How come I never thought of that?!? Wow!!!

Drake
Thanks for the info Drake. Good info to know.

Isn't it amazing how much you can learn on these forums, no matter what your experience level? Sometimes the discussions get a little heated or attitudes turn ugly, but overall, I've read a LOT of great ideas and different techniques on here that I can adopt for my own use. Maybe one day, with some experience under my belt, I can pay it forward.

Take care!
Faster and drakeParagon like this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-15-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean101 View Post
Thanks for the info Drake. Good info to know.

Isn't it amazing how much you can learn on these forums, no matter what your experience level? Sometimes the discussions get a little heated or attitudes turn ugly, but overall, I've read a LOT of great ideas and different techniques on here that I can adopt for my own use. Maybe one day, with some experience under my belt, I can pay it forward.

Take care!
+1

Yeah it can get a little prickly every once in a while (like in the HWS thread), but if you just maintain a thick skin and realize it's just the interwebs (where people say all kinds of goofy crap) - it's impossible to really get mad at anything that's said (or even any names you're called). It's all just for fun.

That said, I totally agree with you that SN is one of the best places on the planet to learn a hell of a lot about sailing. Some really great guys around here.

Cheers!
vega1860, Dean101 and drakeParagon like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 01-15-2012 at 05:18 PM.
Old 01-15-2012

jpqincny is on a distinguished road
There is a saying among motorcylists: $15,000 and 15 miles don't make you a biker. I don't sail much but I did qualify inshore skipper throught the US Navy sailing program in addition to having been an On scene leader for firefighting and damage control parties for all engineering spaces-rescue and repair, repair locker leader and fire marshall as well as damage control console operator, and relief on scene leader for helo crash and smash fire party. The reason I enumerate this is that the first thing that struck me in the first video (I haven't watched the rest yet) is the fact that the cockpit is a mess. When you prepare to get underway the VERY first thing you need to do is SECURE for sea. Drake obviously hasn't done even this basic first step, that he survived and learned is great, however, his learning curve really didn't need to be nearly so steep.
Old 01-15-2012

Ninefingers is on a distinguished road
Hey Drake, thank you SO much for your videos, they are huge for us folks just getting started!

Question, was this the Titan 14 in your video? That is some impressive vessel.

$5,000,000 was her price tag I believe.

Sail Boat Authority - Bartram & Brakenhoff Inc - TITAN XIV - Gallery
Old 01-15-2012

chall03 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpqincny View Post
There is a saying among motorcylists: $15,000 and 15 miles don't make you a biker. I don't sail much but I did qualify inshore skipper throught the US Navy sailing program in addition to having been an On scene leader for firefighting and damage control parties for all engineering spaces-rescue and repair, repair locker leader and fire marshall as well as damage control console operator, and relief on scene leader for helo crash and smash fire party. The reason I enumerate this is that the first thing that struck me in the first video (I haven't watched the rest yet) is the fact that the cockpit is a mess. When you prepare to get underway the VERY first thing you need to do is SECURE for sea. Drake obviously hasn't done even this basic first step, that he survived and learned is great, however, his learning curve really didn't need to be nearly so steep.
Maybe we were watching different videos? Things looked pretty shipshape to me.

If you get a chance I would recommend you watch the rest of Drake's videos.

Our Blog: Aussie cruising family

Old 01-16-2012

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road
Even the saltiest, crustiest, been around sailors get whacked once in awhile. Lot's O doodoo happens out here!
drakeParagon likes this.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 01-16-2012

drakeParagon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefingers View Post
Hey Drake, thank you SO much for your videos, they are huge for us folks just getting started!

Question, was this the Titan 14 in your video? That is some impressive vessel.

$5,000,000 was her price tag I believe.

Sail Boat Authority - Bartram & Brakenhoff Inc - TITAN XIV - Gallery
Hi Ninefingers, Yup, that's her! Those photos are such a dream! Take it as rumor as I don't know if it's true, but someone recently told me that Titan XIV is actually just the support boat for a much larger one...

After Titan XIV arrived to continue the tow (12 hours after the collision) and I had relayed all of the relevant information I had to them, I had to speed off for Bermuda to enter the harbor and set anchor before sunset. Gail the crew on Cha Cha later told me that Titan XIV used some kind of canon/harpoon gun to shoot a light string over Cha Cha's bow.. To this they attached a spare halyard to use as the tow cable and asked Cha Cha to be extra careful with it because it cost over $3000.... here's a quote from a story which Gail wrote... I'll ask for her permission to post her entire story here...

"What followed was the tow from hell. It was so fast that it felt like we were inside a donut behind a speed boat. We radioed to ask them to slow down but they said they could not go below 8 knots as they were ‘only idling’ the engine and would lose steerage otherwise. This was almost as bad as being in the storm, but at least it only lasted four or five hours. "
Old 01-16-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by drakeParagon View Post
.........."What followed was the tow from hell. It was so fast that it felt like we were inside a donut behind a speed boat. We radioed to ask them to slow down but they said they could not go below 8 knots as they were ‘only idling’ the engine and would lose steerage otherwise. This was almost as bad as being in the storm, but at least it only lasted four or five hours. "
Gail doesn't seem to have deserved that experience, but the Cha Cha's skipper had some karma coming his way.

On the other hand, were you able to tell what would possess Gail to get on that rag tag boat with a stranger and set out to sea? From the pics of Cha Cha, I would question being below decks at a dock. Shake hands, throw my crew bag below and chop lines? No stinking way......

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 01-16-2012

worldcruiser is on a distinguished road
well done after all

I was first amazed that he did'nt seem very prepared or trained, but after a while i really respected the way he turned out to help that other boat, and in the end he was not the amateuer but the 52 ft'er! What happened later, are there more videos?
Old 01-16-2012

worldcruiser is on a distinguished road
titan 14

Hi
Do you know what kind of boat the titan is?