Reality at Sea - For Cruisers, Singlehanders, and Normal People. - Page 26 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree364Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2012

Ninefingers is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldcruiser View Post
Hi
Do you know what kind of boat the titan is?
A very f'ing nice one. There's a link to it a few posts above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-16-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Google the Titan XIV and you will find she's available for charter for $70,000 per week or so.

Somehow, I find it amusing that the uber-rich have to pimp their things out so they can afford them. That's probably unfair, but honest.

I will often google a mega yacht that we find in an anchorage, just to learn what it is. They are always for rent.

Once, we had our lunch anchor down in the bay with a 150 ft power yacht several hundred yards away. When I looked it up, some newspaper articles said it was reportedly owned by a NYC mobster. We decided not to socialize. However, it too was for rent.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 01-16-2012
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post

Somehow, I find it amusing that the uber-rich have to pimp their things out so they can afford them. That's probably unfair, but honest.
They/we don't. Offering one's yacht for charter makes it a business endeavor and, virtually, the entire cost of acquisition, operation and maintenance, tax deductible. One only needs show break-even or a modest profit once every 5 years or so.
smackdaddy likes this.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 01-16-2012
Life is a wild ride!

Dean101 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post

Once, we had our lunch anchor down in the bay with a 150 ft power yacht several hundred yards away. When I looked it up, some newspaper articles said it was reportedly owned by a NYC mobster. We decided not to socialize. However, it too was for rent.
Good call. You might have ended up swimmin' wit da fishes!
Old 01-16-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post

Again, we read about problems retracting a roller furling jib in heavy air, and all the associated problems it has caused. I seem to recall Cha Cha's skipper experienced the same difficulty, leading to its roller-furling jib being ripped to shreds. I am still not convinced roller furling is the way to go offshore.
Well, I can only imagine someone like Brad van Liew might get a hearty chuckle, listening to us cyber-sailors debate the question of whether roller furling headsails are suitable for offshore sailing…. (grin)

Don’t let your opinion be informed by an incident such as this, a failure suffered by an incompetent skipper in command of a piece of crap like CHA-CHA…Properly installed, maintained, and used, today’s quality furlers like those from Selden, Profurl, Harken and the rest are virtually bulletproof, and among the most reliable gear to be found on today’s boats… There is very little to “fear” about their causing trouble, I honestly can’t remember the last time I had a serious issue with a headsail furler, and their universal acceptance among the elite singlehanded racing fraternity speaks volumes about their functionality and reliability…

Two weeks ago tonight, I was riding the first arctic blast of the winter down the Delmarva coast… It was a very sporty ride, a close reach most of the way, but the real work started at about 0200 when I made the turn at Cape Charles, and began the beat back up into Hampton Roads… Switching gears down from the genoa to staysail, I can’t imagine having to do that with hanked-on sails on my boat… It was cold, in the 20s, the tide was flooding and kicking up a wicked chop against the 30 knot NNWly… I have no problem going to the mast to reef the main on a night like that, or in the conditions I just had off the Georgia/N Florida coast Friday night, but going forward of the mast is a whole different ballgame…

Another thing often overlooked on smaller boats and the use of hanked-on sails offshore, is the compromise forced upon one by the matter of stowage of your tender… On a boat like mine, the foredeck is really the only option for stowing the tender on passage, and it would seriously impair my ability to deal with hanked-on sails, and make it much more dangerous than on a clear foredeck… As always, just another tradeoff to be considered…

There may be good reasons for some to still prefer to avoid RF on a cruising boat, but fear of failure/problems should certainly not be among them… I would guess that 99.9% of those making the switch to RF never look back, if you know what you’re doing with today’s systems and don’t abuse them, there’s really very little chance of major drama with their use, IMHO…
Old 01-16-2012

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Well, I can only imagine someone like Brad van Liew might get a hearty chuckle, listening to us cyber-sailors debate the question of whether roller furling headsails are suitable for offshore sailing…. (grin)
I see what your mean. He has three of them just in case one or two break.
Night_Sailor likes this.
Old 01-16-2012
Swab

vega1860 is on a distinguished road
Wink

Quote:
... their universal acceptance among the elite singlehanded racing fraternity speaks volumes about their functionality and reliability…
Members of the elite singlehanded racing fraternity generally have sponsors

Quote:
I would guess that 99.9% of those making the switch to RF never look back,
I would guess that 98.9% of those making the switch to RF never go offshore at all.

Quote:
if you know what you’re doing with today’s systems and don’t abuse them, there’s really very little chance of major drama with their use, IMHO…
Agreed. But that is a mighty big IF.

“It is, of course, presumptuous of me to claim that I know the answer, but looking around I certainly can say that I have seen a great many people who presume to know the answer and do not.” Col. Jeff Cooper

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-17-2012

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road
Hardly see anyone here (offshore) using hank on sails. Not a whole lot of "If's" in using a modern RF system. Let's see for me it's been, what 14 years and NO, NADA, yep a big zero on the failure part. Not a whole lot to maintain either. Flush the bearings out once in awhile, check the extrusions, change the line every few years as needed and I'm good to go. I would not leave home with out it. But, hey i still use a manual windlass, so some things die hard for some folks.....
killarney_sailor likes this.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 01-17-2012

opc11 is on a distinguished road
Great Learning Experience

Been lurking on Sailnet for the past year and only have a few posts but felt compelled to say thanks to the OP for starting this thread and I hope the good karma spread by drake is returned to him. Although it sounds like after finding Monique you may have to call it even As a matter of fact, you may owe karma one!

As to Cha Cha......I'm calling complete BS. Having been raised in the Newport, RI area, highly unlikely he was broke. That's not a cheap place to live. Yes, his engine didn't work well, but he still had to have fuel. Not cheap. He had to stock the boat w/ food. Not cheap. IMO Cha Cha was gambling on the kindness of strangers. You really think he was going to Bermuda w/ a woman he didn't know AND NO MONEY IN HIS POCKET? DOO DOO.

From this, I've learned to ask a lot of questions in a situation like this. Ask specifics about remedying the problems. Has he determined what's causing the stuck rudder? Has he even attempted to look? I'd definitely ask about the skipper's ability to reimburse for damages.

Last, I'd like to hear other's opinions on maritime law concering a situation like this. Could Drake have pursued Cha Cha legally?

Drake, I subscribed to your YouTube channel. I read this thread start to finish. A great thread! I've learned sooooo much from Sailnet and I hope to reconnect w/ the lifestyle in the years to come.

Now, I need to run. Velocity channel is running a show called "Against the Tide". It's an around the world race for amateur sailors (professional/experienced skippers on each clipper). Unfortunately, after looking into joining the next race. It turns out they charge each crewmember $70,000 to complete the entire race. Bummer!

Thanks again!
paul
drakeParagon and momoparagon like this.
Old 01-17-2012
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Quote:

Don’t let your opinion be informed by an incident such as this, a failure suffered by an incompetent skipper in command of a piece of crap like CHA-CHA…Properly installed, maintained, and used, today’s quality furlers like those from Selden, Profurl, Harken and the rest are virtually bulletproof, and among the most reliable gear to be found on today’s boats…
You make a good case, Jon and you know I respect your experience and opinion. If I do ever upgrade to roller furling, I know I'll still be on the foredeck swapping sails (if conditions are safe enough), because I hate the shape of a partially furled sail.

However, I'll agree that when things go sour, that the ability to just roll the entire thing up from the safety of the cockpit, is probaby pretty nice.
1973 Pearson 30 #255

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.