Reality at Sea - For Cruisers, Singlehanders, and Normal People. - Page 37 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree313Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Re: Reality at Sea - For Cruisers, Singlehanders, and Normal People.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmDoctor View Post
I really enjoyed those videos a lot. As someone with zero offshore experience, it gave a real feel for what it's like. It seems that he didn't do everything perfectly, but had very sound judgement when it came time to recover from his mistakes. He had a heart of gold for helping out that penniless fool on the other boat. Littauer's poor passenger/crew Gail proves why you never want to head offshore with someone you don't know. (My wife won't even do a daysail with someone we don't know. And Internet pals fall into the "don't know" category.)

If I find myself in trouble someday, I hope there's someone like Drake nearby to render assistance. He just seems like a nice guy, and not at all self-absorbed like that publicity whore Dom "Mee Mee Mee."
Good post. Agree. Tell your wife the best way to get to know your internet friends is to babysit. I got two coming your way right now... (snicker).

In all seriousnes though, who is this Dom you referred to?

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-09-2012
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
...In all seriousnes though, who is this Dom you referred to?
He's another guy who made a video of himself on a singlehanded ocean passage. Discussed in this thread.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 06-18-2012

sneuman is on a distinguished road

I think the problem in many of these cases is that would-be sailors get steeped in the mythology of single-handed ocean passages before they get any real experience. I'm not saying that's necessarily the case here, but it well could be.

So, instead of going from A to B, they want to go from A to Z in one go. The logical progression is some coastal, then progressive longer and more complex offshore passages -- with crew (preferably experienced). Instead, they want to go straight for the single-handed circumnavigation or some such.

It's definitely not smart and potentially dangerous. After all, how many climbers start by trying to summit Mt.Everest without supplemental oxygen?

Last edited by sneuman; 06-18-2012 at 11:18 AM.
Old 06-18-2012
Senior Moment Member

AncientTech is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
I think the problem in many of these cases is that would-be sailors get steeped in the mythology of single-handed ocean passages before they get any real experience. I'm not saying that's necessarily the case here, but it well could be.

So, instead of going from A to B, they want to go from A to Z in one go. The logical progression is some coastal, then progressive longer and more complex offshore passages -- with crew (preferably experienced). Instead, they want to go straight for the single-handed circumnavigation or some such.

It's definitely not smart and potentially dangerous. After all, how many climbers start by trying to summit Mt.Everest without supplemental oxygen?
I would have to agree with Sneuman, education,common sense and practice. Although living in Naples, FL I am very familiar with the lone lawyer story but I would think that the extremely rare exception and not at all the rule.