Reality at Sea - For Cruisers, Singlehanders, and Normal People. - Page 37 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Like Tree361Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2014   #361
Captain

Night_Sailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Reality at Sea - For Cruisers, Singlehanders, and Normal People.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakeParagon View Post
I really like your recommendation of using lighter and smaller diameter rope for the JSD! It's such a tedious task to pack all that thick and heavy stuff back in the bag..

In the 2 times that I brought in the JSD I used a self tailing jib sheet winch. A laborious task taking at least half an hour (and really killing my arm!).. I only ripped the cones when they got crunched in the self tailer part of the winch. My impression is that there would be less that could damage the cones if I did Hal Roth's way. I think the anchor roller and windlass drum are big enough for nothing to snag. Using the electric winch I could tail it myself... and I wouldn't have to kill my arm cranking... I'm looking forward to trying it!

On my smaller Westsail 32 I could always man handle the jib furler by pulling the line by hand. Difficult in heavier wind, but possible. But on my bigger Westsail 42 it's just about impossible to furl the jib in heavy air without a winch.. I think my big mistake was not installing a self tailing winch for furling the jib.. It made everything so much harder to correct when I accidentally gybed when that squall hit. I was spending forever battling with trying to get the jib in by pulling the line in by hand... Never again! I'm installing a self tailing winch for furling the jib before we push off...
Probably the most important attribute of a good sailor is to be humble and admit your mistakes. The cocky sailors, get into trouble and don't learn from their mistakes. The humble sailor recognizes he can learn from anyone and constantly gets better. It sure beats golf where we tend to get worse not better.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG 100 Ton Master
RYA Yachtmaster Ocean
Night_Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-24-2014   #362
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

It's good to be humble and listen to advice but you have to be cocky. You hve to have a big ego, lots of self esteem and be cocky. If not you will never leave.

Plus, most people tell you not to go, probably because they feel they have to have crew, and if someone singlehands it, it minimizes their accomplishment. So they call it luck, or whatever. If you don't have hubris you'll just sit at home second guessing everything.

This guy, while I didn't watch everything, left, made some mistakes, and made it to Bermuda. So he was tired for six days. Lesson here? Just do it.
Argyle38 likes this.

northoceanbeach is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-24-2014   #363
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Sailor View Post
Over and out means you are signing off. Over, means back to you and you are waiting for a response.
Actually not quite.

"Over" means 'I'm done talking and will listen for your reply.'

"Out" means 'I'm done talking and closing down my station.'

So "Over and out" means 'I'm done talking and you can talk now but I won't be listening.'

*grin*

"Over and out" is a generation of TV (and we know how reliable they are) and the CB craze of the 70s.

I've heard "Go" used as a synonym for "Over" which seems reasonable.

Interestingly I've seen TV police officers say "over and out" before leaping out of the car to chase after someone, so I guess they really meant "I'm done talking and you can talk now but I won't be listening." *grin* It always gives me the giggles.
jackdale and Argyle38 like this.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

SVAuspicious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-24-2014   #364

outbound is on a distinguished road

Thought given you are suppose to monitor 16 continuously ending with s/v ---- on one six or s/v---- back to one six ( if changing back) was a good way to end and s/v--- to ---s/v ---or m/v or f/v--- on one six ( or current working frequency ) for turning mike back to them. ? Is this wrong?
Avoid "over" and "roger" as confusing although "roger that" seems ok

Last edited by outbound; 08-24-2014 at 05:38 PM.
outbound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-24-2014   #365
Captain

Night_Sailor is on a distinguished road

I enjoyed watching the video's although I had to skim through some and skipped the middle ones completely. Judicious editing would help a lot.

I like that he is not afraid to admit his mistakes. I dislike people who won't admit they can make mistakes. One of the best times I had was a night of sailors in a circle talking about their biggest screw ups. One fellow would not admit to ever having made a mistake, and it diminished him in my eyes, because we all have made mistakes. And talking about them is a good way to help others avoid those same mistakes.
oneshotonekill likes this.

USCG 100 Ton Master
RYA Yachtmaster Ocean
Night_Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-12-2014   #366
Boat Bum

JTSmith is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
As far as I've seen - yes. He does a lot of big sailing in a lot of nice places on a lot of nice boats. It's not like he's a complete newb.

Check out his YouTube channel.

(PS - I like the part where he admits his real fear in some pretty scary conditions, and I like that you can see him really mulling over what it will mean to answer that Pan-Pan. It's really great stuff. From a joyous dinner on night one to 6 more days of exhausted hell. His boat sure did right by him.)
The tension was absolutely palpable when the Pan-Pan came through. Highlight of the series. I've seen a few of his other shorts and was sort of on the fence about him. This made me like him.
JTSmith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-12-2014   #367

Argyle38 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Probably the most important attribute of a good sailor is to be humble and admit your mistakes. The cocky sailors, get into trouble and don't learn from their mistakes. The humble sailor recognizes he can learn from anyone and constantly gets better. It sure beats golf where we tend to get worse not better.
Good advice.

If you're feeling cocky, go to sea. If your not humbled by the time you get back, you weren't out long enough.
Downeaster 38 #40

Argyle38 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-12-2014   #368
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Originally Posted by jameswilson29

"Both skippers would have likely been able to reduce sail area at the critical time more effectively and quickly by dropping a hanked-on jib to the deck and securing it, instead of having to contend with an uncooperative roller furling system."

For my 2 cents worth, if one is having that much trouble furling a jib, I'm not too sure I want to be on the foredeck wrestling a hanked sail down and either tie it to the lifelines or unhank it and get it below. Much better to learn to work the furler in heavy weather, IMO.
Bingo.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
smackdaddy is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-12-2014   #369
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I can assure you I would not be so quick to render assistance. The completeness of the problems on Cha Cha clearly indicated the skipper should have been disregarded as an intelligent sailor, and my concerns would have been for his crew.
BS.

You need to help a fellow sailor regardless of your assumptions. EVERYONE deserves help when they are in distress*. Period. If you're really that self-assured get off the ocean. Save the lecture for when you are home.

(*Drake knew that. Which is why I respect him.)
Minnewaska and Tenoch like this.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 09-12-2014 at 08:06 PM.
smackdaddy is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-12-2014   #370
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

Smack, I agree - you should always help someone in distress - ALWAYS!

I watched this some time ago, and some of the things Drake did just didn't make much sense to me, especially deploying the parachute off the stern while heaving to. Seemed like a good way to take a big wave over the stern. And, it surely would not help him achieve the proper 50 degree bow angle needed to stem the vessel's progress.

I also could not believe he did not have stop knots in his halyards or sheets - I always thought that was just common sense, but maybe I'm wrong.

Also wondered why Cha Cha could not have rigged an emergency steering system. Maybe her captain was just dumb as dirt - at least it seemed that way.

Cheers,

Gary
travlineasy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.